How do we revive this site

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
the13r
TTR

Re: How do we revive this site

Post by the13r »

ObJuan13 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:07 pm Let’s cut the bullshit… the site is dying. I love this place but post rarely because it could literally take hours to get a response to even a topical of the moment post…

Astor, if it’s money for an upgrade to bring this place up to date and make it something like the robust version of the old ESPN boxing board then lay the numbers out there publicly and I’d be willing to put some money up so long as it’s realistic

Or is it just that boxing is in a bad place and people care less? Is there anything we can do to bring this place back to life?
NO BS!! And the more discussion on the subject the better!

I agree I don't think just regular convo is possible right now because there aren't a lot participating in OT discussions... Boxing discussions are getting rarer... although with some weeks, we have more traffic than others... depends on who is fighting.

Upgrade what though? Upgrade the look to make it look like robust espn? IMO you can already do that by going in your board profile and changing the appearance of the board. One of the style is VERY similar to what ESPN had.

IMO we have two things here that on the long run affect PARTICIPATING members (number of regs)...
•First it's a private board so you need to recruit... We aren'T a network on tv or a company that sells services... We offer boxing information... old school and actuality... That we do pretty well and have an average of 50 users browsing the forum at all times... How do we get these persons to post and join the convo??? This is the tricky part... it's a blend of a nice environment that triggers people to want to chime in/ a nice board that looks modern.... But we'Re fighting against boxingscene who is a multi million dollars company and social medias which are billionaires...

•Second we are now fighting with social medias... most will now get their day to day convo blend with informations and laughs on social medias... the diversity and traffic is second to none... plenty of people disagreeing and hating people for unrelated subjects... fuel for days and days of lost time.

IMO the main goal and challenge is to get the millions of views monthly to produce posts from time to time... for that you need to either alllow users not logged in to post but you will get all kind of crap and pollution. IMO maybe the solution would be to allow some social media logins... like someone could log and post on the ofrum with his FB or TWITTER login... lots of websites use that option...

I will post some more about this when I get more time!
elterrible

Post by elterrible »

The board ain't dying, the sport has been dead for a decade now. This is the best boxing site around, the promoters have completely turned most of us away. If Spence fights crawford (which shouldve happened 8 years ago) we will all be back around. Hope you all are doing well!
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

There is a boxing group on FB that is a troll farm worse than Gino on steroids at times. I occasionally post links to the fights you upload and drop them there. Sometimes a member of this group will claim he is leaving and I mention TTR.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

yeah had 2 super hardcores register recently like Graham Houston but he hasn't posted yet.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Boxing overall just moved to slow for the most part….mandatories get in the way of meaningful fights, immediate rematches of non competitive fights, promoters protecting there investments……it’s just very tiresome…..rarely do you see young prospects challenged like they need to be….and a lot of there hype is squandered by the time they make it to a meaningful fight because of mismatches making people uninterested in there fights…..terrible judging all round and at the highest level especially makes the sport look rigged and staged rather than authentic(The score cards for Bivol vs Alvarez anyone?)……lot of hardcore guys just got fed up with it…..I take it on a fight by fight basis these days rather than being fully invested……boxing also seems to be lacking many of the high volume lower level cards like we used to get out of FNF and the UK domestic scene…..to much time between interesting fights and not filler of lower level yet entertaining fights like we used to get……UFC gets it, boxing promoters don’t….
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Yeah....if boxing was healthy, this site and sites like it would be healthy. This site is just a symptom of a larger, overall problem with the sport.

If the sport doesn't give us things to consistently talk about, then there's nothing to talk about.
USMILMAN
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion

Post by USMILMAN »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:19 pm Yeah....if boxing was healthy, this site and sites like it would be healthy. This site is just a symptom of a larger, overall problem with the sport.

If the sport doesn't give us things to consistently talk about, then there's nothing to talk about.
We are never going to go back to the days of SRR or Greb or any of those guys fighting every month, so boxing has to figure it out. When there is a big fight, numbers do great. Fighters just don’t fight as much anymore. The money is huge for them.

I think the problem is that they are not trying to make a bunch of stars. There are only a few “stars” and I would bet outside of Pacquiao and Mayweather and Canelo there isn’t any household names. And two of those guys are retired. Lol

These promoters need to pay the money to get these guys notoriety. Get them in commercials, on TV, etc.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

the13r wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:33 pm
ObJuan13 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:07 pm Let’s cut the bullshit… the site is dying. I love this place but post rarely because it could literally take hours to get a response to even a topical of the moment post…

Astor, if it’s money for an upgrade to bring this place up to date and make it something like the robust version of the old ESPN boxing board then lay the numbers out there publicly and I’d be willing to put some money up so long as it’s realistic

Or is it just that boxing is in a bad place and people care less? Is there anything we can do to bring this place back to life?
NO BS!! And the more discussion on the subject the better!

I agree I don't think just regular convo is possible right now because there aren't a lot participating in OT discussions... Boxing discussions are getting rarer... although with some weeks, we have more traffic than others... depends on who is fighting.

Upgrade what though? Upgrade the look to make it look like robust espn? IMO you can already do that by going in your board profile and changing the appearance of the board. One of the style is VERY similar to what ESPN had.

IMO we have two things here that on the long run affect PARTICIPATING members (number of regs)...
•First it's a private board so you need to recruit... We aren'T a network on tv or a company that sells services... We offer boxing information... old school and actuality... That we do pretty well and have an average of 50 users browsing the forum at all times... How do we get these persons to post and join the convo??? This is the tricky part... it's a blend of a nice environment that triggers people to want to chime in/ a nice board that looks modern.... But we'Re fighting against boxingscene who is a multi million dollars company and social medias which are billionaires...

•Second we are now fighting with social medias... most will now get their day to day convo blend with informations and laughs on social medias... the diversity and traffic is second to none... plenty of people disagreeing and hating people for unrelated subjects... fuel for days and days of lost time.

IMO the main goal and challenge is to get the millions of views monthly to produce posts from time to time... for that you need to either alllow users not logged in to post but you will get all kind of crap and pollution. IMO maybe the solution would be to allow some social media logins... like someone could log and post on the ofrum with his FB or TWITTER login... lots of websites use that option...

I will post some more about this when I get more time!
Maybe allowing people to post when logged in from their social media would help..

I can’t lie though, boxing talk on social media seems toxic as hell.. mostly a bunch of weirdos obsessed with their favorite fighter and hyping them up or defending them at all costs..

Everyone else is probably right… it’s the state of the sport mostly… it’s actually gotten worse over the last 10 years… I remember people had legitimate gripes with the resumes of the fighters from the previous era.. but these current guys make those guys resumes look like SRR and Ali..

But I’ll keep thinking of ways to increase traffic… I don’t watch or talk enough boxing these days
actionhound

Post by actionhound »

i still check occasionally but i rarely ever post.
straycat
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

actionhound wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:05 pm i still check occasionally but i rarely ever post.
Well Well

Something is missing on your profile Hound Dog
FB_IMG_1656524946259.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
KSTAT124
TTR Rankings & Results Editor
TTR Rankings & Results Editor

Post by KSTAT124 »

the13r wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:54 pm yeah had 2 super hardcores register recently like Graham Houston but he hasn't posted yet.
Graham Houston becoming a member is great news!
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

ill contact him to see if he needs anything or help
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

This site started cannibalizing itself almost from the beginning by banning and alienating certain members. Me, for instance. Then Roadblock and Crimson. DBO, who is a great boxing mind, was alienated off of this site. Other key members like Woo basically left, and some guys just stopped posting. I thought the censorship of this site became ridiculous, and that was really early on in its existence. So, in a nutshell, it did it to itself. I really lost interest when Rasta passed away. It was the main reason I would still come onto the site, was to banter with him. It will never be like it was because you cannot go home again. That's just life. And it isn't even real life. It's the internet. Of course, Astor could just get a Tik Tok account and start doing some sexy boxing dances and maybe that would garner some new members. As it stands right now, I hardly ever come onto this site, and I don't really see that changing.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

5_burowz wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:17 pm This site started cannibalizing itself almost from the beginning by banning and alienating certain members. Me, for instance. Then Roadblock and Crimson. DBO, who is a great boxing mind, was alienated off of this site. Other key members like Woo basically left, and some guys just stopped posting. I thought the censorship of this site became ridiculous, and that was really early on in its existence. So, in a nutshell, it did it to itself. I really lost interest when Rasta passed away. It was the main reason I would still come onto the site, was to banter with him. It will never be like it was because you cannot go home again. That's just life. And it isn't even real life. It's the internet. Of course, Astor could just get a Tik Tok account and start doing some sexy boxing dances and maybe that would garner some new members. As it stands right now, I hardly ever come onto this site, and I don't really see that changing.

You were all over the place and extremely immature attacking some members openly and privately with private life stuff... perverse childish attacks... spamming the board with pages and pages of fake threads... If your feelings got offended because we acted to create a peaceful environment for discussion for older members who didn't want to deal with members like you, it's probably again for your lack of maturity and assuming your true person and the results that comes with being unstable.

When you are acting normal, you are one of my fav member... me and rasta always preferred the board with you when you are here to contribute. But when you are pissed, you are worse than my 5yr old.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

the13r wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:36 pm
5_burowz wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:17 pm This site started cannibalizing itself almost from the beginning by banning and alienating certain members. Me, for instance. Then Roadblock and Crimson. DBO, who is a great boxing mind, was alienated off of this site. Other key members like Woo basically left, and some guys just stopped posting. I thought the censorship of this site became ridiculous, and that was really early on in its existence. So, in a nutshell, it did it to itself. I really lost interest when Rasta passed away. It was the main reason I would still come onto the site, was to banter with him. It will never be like it was because you cannot go home again. That's just life. And it isn't even real life. It's the internet. Of course, Astor could just get a Tik Tok account and start doing some sexy boxing dances and maybe that would garner some new members. As it stands right now, I hardly ever come onto this site, and I don't really see that changing.

You were all over the place and extremely immature attacking some members openly and privately with private life stuff... perverse childish attacks... spamming the board with pages and pages of fake threads... If your feelings got offended because we acted to create a peaceful environment for discussion for older members who didn't want to deal with members like you, it's probably again for your lack of maturity and assuming your true person and the results that comes with being unstable.

When you are acting normal, you are one of my fav member... me and rasta always preferred the board with you when you are here to contribute. But when you are pissed, you are worse than my 5yr old.

None of that is true but you are entitled to believe what you want, because I honestly couldn't care less. The state of the board is the state of the board, and if I were so off in my estimations, then the board wouldn't look the way that it does. I did my part to try and help the place out years ago by bringing ESPN guys over when ESPN was getting rid of its forums and I even communicated with you via e-mail to let you know that I would be over on ESPN recruiting members. I was one of the main ones over there posting and getting guys to come to this site but then of course some of the regulars on this site started treating the new members like shit and we had a bit of an exodus when that happened. I would even try and recruit on places like Eastside Boxing but of course they would ban me for a period of time for my efforts. I don't really care about getting banned from this site though because it brought me to Boxing Hideout where I haven't ever been banned a single time for anything I have ever said--which is exactly how it should be. You reap what you have sowed.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

No need to invent stuff, it's all substantiated on the forum.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

To me it feels like the site these days is watered down with many threads with no replies. Is there a way to maybe order the forum with more active threads up top rather than just whatever has the most recent post? Personally i usually scroll to the threads with the most replies as it is more reading and conversation, but sometimes they get pretty deep on the first page beneath a lot of newer 1 post threads.

Also when i pop on and see 10 threads with no replies up top the site just feels dead. Just my 2 cents and personal preference but not sure how that could even be done
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

USMILMAN wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:38 am I love this site. I wish I was able to get on more, but life got in the way. Lol. It is starting to slow back down so I will get on more. Work, school, retired from the military, moved, etc etc etc.
Same with me. I work all the time these days, and have lost access to most live Boxing these days, so I just don't watch much anymore. Obviously I'm not fit to talk about or comment much on what I didn't see, so I don't.

I'd love to be seeing it. Just not able to at the moment.

Doubt it'll help the site, but I am about to get a Sumo thread going again, because I am still able to watch that :lol:

It helps that it's in 30 minute increments daily on YouTube therefore I can follow it at my leisure.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Glad you are busy Gilga! Hope life treats you well
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

TopNotch86 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:55 pm To me it feels like the site these days is watered down with many threads with no replies. Is there a way to maybe order the forum with more active threads up top rather than just whatever has the most recent post? Personally i usually scroll to the threads with the most replies as it is more reading and conversation, but sometimes they get pretty deep on the first page beneath a lot of newer 1 post threads.

Also when i pop on and see 10 threads with no replies up top the site just feels dead. Just my 2 cents and personal preference but not sure how that could even be done
Woo complained about the threads too 10yrs ago... I agree it makes the site look bad if we are looking for convo and activity. But in the end they are what keeps hardcores browsing ttr. I'm pretty sure lots of members wantvyo keep these threads. And when you see 50 guests browsing, it's for these too... it's what sets ttr as unique. No other website offers World wide coverage of every cards.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

the13r wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:56 pm Glad you are busy Gilga! Hope life treats you well
I'm having a memorable 2022 yes.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

the13r wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:40 pm
TopNotch86 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:55 pm To me it feels like the site these days is watered down with many threads with no replies. Is there a way to maybe order the forum with more active threads up top rather than just whatever has the most recent post? Personally i usually scroll to the threads with the most replies as it is more reading and conversation, but sometimes they get pretty deep on the first page beneath a lot of newer 1 post threads.

Woo complained about the threads too 10yrs ago... I agree it makes the site look bad if we are looking for convo and activity. But in the end they are what keeps hardcores browsing ttr. I'm pretty sure lots of members wantvyo keep these threads. And when you see 50 guests browsing, it's for these too... it's what sets ttr as unique. No other website offers World wide coverage of every cards.
no i get it. i read a lot of them and may not always reply. just a personal preference i understand why its done the way it is
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”