Carl Froch reportedly in talks for exhibition against Roy Jones Jr

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Carl Froch reportedly in talks for exhibition against Roy Jones Jr

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.badlefthook.com/2021/6/8/22 ... -news-2021

The legendary Roy Jones Jr. may have a cruiserweight comeback in mind, but he reportedly isn’t done with the exhibition circuit. Nottinghamshire Live claims that “a deal could be finalised this week” for an exhibition match between Jones and former super middleweight champion Carl Froch.

According to the Mirror, “Motorpoint Arena or the City Ground in Nottingham are the frontrunners” to host the event.

Jones (66-9, 47 KO) recently shot back after Froch (33-2, 24 KO) called him “shot to bits,” challenging “The Cobra” to prove it at Wembley stadium. Froch hasn’t fought since 2014, when he knocked out George Groves in front of 80,000 screaming fans at Wembley Stadium, while Jones’ last professional appearance saw him win a unanimous decision over Scott Sigmon in February 2018.

Honestly, as long as they enjoy themselves, get paid, and don’t run head-to-head with a fight that actually matters, I’ve got no issues with these two settling things amongst themselves. Not something I’d pay to watch, but as my people say, y’all have fun.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
ObJuan13

Re: Carl Froch reportedly in talks for exhibition against Roy Jones Jr

Post by ObJuan13 »

I just wanna see Roy make money
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Is Roy hurting for cash.
I know he is jus stuborn and loves the competition but he should be ok financially
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

FUCK THESE EXHIBITIONS!
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Is Roy hurting for cash.
I know he is jus stuborn and loves the competition but he should be ok financially
It's been documented for nearly a decade now, that Roy has been having financial issues. He's blown most of the money he's made during his actual fighting career.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Froch strikes me as someone with an ego that would prevent him from just going easy in something like this. He'd want to try to prove through this that he was actually better than Roy....which he obviously wasn't
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Tocsin wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:01 pm Froch strikes me as someone with an ego that would prevent him from just going easy in something like this. He'd want to try to prove through this that he was actually better than Roy....which he obviously wasn't
I hope he does beat the fucking shit out of Roy. It'd be better than a pussy ass exhibition.
straycat
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:24 pm
Is Roy hurting for cash.
It's been documented for nearly a decade now, that Roy has been having financial issues. He's blown most of the money he's made during his actual fighting career.
Thats sad he was doing comentary with HBO right up to the end. Cant PBC throw him a bone???
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

This must be the weeping thread. Well, here's a tissue fellas.

You don't like the exhibitions, then don't watch them. I haven't watched one, save the highlights. They sure do nothing in aiding the true problem in boxing: contemporary talents not taking place in competitive meaningful fights. If anything, the numbers generated by such events should be a swift kick in the ass to remind promoters and platforms that they aren't doing their fucking jobs and to make the right fights.

You don't like exhibitions to the point you want 43 year old, never been stopped Carl Froch to "beat the shit out of" 52 year old, multiple time KO victim who already suffers from slurred speech and diminished motor skills, Roy Jones Jr, but you still watch or are enticed by professional wrestling? Jesus Christ, man. Just pretend it's fake wrestling, pop some popcorn and have a coke and a smile. Hilarious.

What the fuck does PBC have to do with Roy Jones? Never mind, another classic thought from the brain that never sleeps.

Nothing wrong with the old heads that sacrificed blood, sweat, tears and current or eventual cognitive functions in a sport that historically leaves such gladiators broke and broken in the end being allowed to earn for themselves or their loved ones post retirement There's a lot if shit in this world to be frustrated or pissed about. This ain't one.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Tocsin wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:01 pm Froch strikes me as someone with an ego that would prevent him from just going easy in something like this. He'd want to try to prove through this that he was actually better than Roy....which he obviously wasn't
While Froch has a Ego....I think in a situation like this he would be rather respectful as long as Roy was.....if Roy opens his mouth he might get what he asked for though
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Tired of these exhibitions fight fans want real fights with guys looking to challenge themselves against the best...
Chef
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

I don't really have an issue with them. It's almost always guys who are retired so it's not like they should be pursuing top opponents and we get this instead. Most of the ones I've seen are just some lighthearted fun and nostalgia.....take it for what it is and it's not so bad.

A much bigger problem is if it becomes the norm for top active fighters to do freak show exhibitions instead of fighting each other.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”