TEO LOPEZ defeated LOMA by UD

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.

Who Wins?

You may select 1 option

View results

ObJuan13

Re: LOMACHENKO vs LOPEZ •NOW LIVE•

Post by ObJuan13 »

elterrible wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:58 pm
ObJuan13 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:57 pm
elterrible wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:52 pm Parlayed Lopez with Alabama and the over. Nice payday.Happy the judges finally got one right.
Congrats man...

I need to start betting smarter
Thank you bro.
You’re welcome... things gotta little sketchy with Alabama, glad they pulled through. I stay away from college football unless the outcome is obvious... Don’t watch enough to feel confident
Hillsinitialrebirth

Re: TEO LOPEZ defeated LOMA by UD

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

If only Loma stepped on the gas sooner.
He was spooked by Lopez, especially in the early going. I think it was Bradley who hit on it, when he said: Not only is Lopez the bigger and stronger guy, he was the faster, more explosive guy also. Loma has no physical advantages over Lopez. Loma had experience on his side, and he had his skill set, but he has NEVER faced anybody like Lopez(not at a weight class where he's disadvantaged to begin with).

Loma did the best he could, and did pretty well, for being overmatched. It may sound funny, but for as accomplished as he was/is, he was very much up against it.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

Lomachenko fought like a maricon
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Yeah, those guys are in a different league no doubt and bigger

Lopez needs to go fight Haney and if Mikey Garcia is willing to come back down, I’d like to see him fight Loma... actually, I forgot about Tank.... Loma v Tank needs to happen
But see that's the problem for Loma at 135.

He's reached his ceiling, and he's not getting any younger. Tank is somewhat of a mental midget, but he's arguably more physically gifted than Lopez, and he's a naturally bigger guy than Loma. These type of guys: Young, fast, strong, explosive, and bigger...are just bad matchups for Loma at this point in his career.

Can Loma beat these guys? Yeah. But his chances are greatly diminished.
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

Was a joy of a fight to watch. Props to Lopez for not going in there tentative and taking the right to Loma. 23 years and fighting a top dog, impressive. Props also to Loma for giving a young hungry fighter a go. Lots of potential options at this weight right now.

But seeing LOMA go up against it going up from feather to lightweight, man the jumps up in weight some of these fighters have gone up recently is impressive. Manny, Floyd. If there is a rematch, it will be another nice fight
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:53 pm Lopez won that fight, so the right guy won. I had it 7-5 for Lopez. Loma just gave away too many early rounds, and Lopez was landing the harder shots consistently. Lopez also took it to Loma in the last round. But it was mostly a tactical fight, with some moments of good action. Congrats to Lopez though, he did it.

And I know Loma is older, has slowed a bit, and he's fighting above his weight class...but man: Just imagining him in the ring against Manny, Floyd, or JMM at LW, he would get eaten up. No way he's in a class with those guys.

Props to both guys for taking the fight.
those guys are naturally Larger and fought at the lower weights at a younger Age.....Different argument if you Match them at 126 or 130 IMO when those guys were much earlier in there careers....but who knows....

We will See How Lepez Career Progresses andthat will determin how this loss is viewed to a large extent.....Props to him on a very good fight tonight....
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

I had it a draw, 2, 7, 8,9,10,11 for Loma. I thought 2,7 and 12 could have gone either way. No robbery, congrats to Lopez.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Cagiva9 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:45 am I had it a draw, 2, 7, 8,9,10,11 for Loma. I thought 2,7 and 12 could have gone either way. No robbery, congrats to Lopez.
Similar to how i Felt round wise....
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:11 am
Yeah, those guys are in a different league no doubt and bigger

Lopez needs to go fight Haney and if Mikey Garcia is willing to come back down, I’d like to see him fight Loma... actually, I forgot about Tank.... Loma v Tank needs to happen
But see that's the problem for Loma at 135.

He's reached his ceiling, and he's not getting any younger. Tank is somewhat of a mental midget, but he's arguably more physically gifted than Lopez, and he's a naturally bigger guy than Loma. These type of guys: Young, fast, strong, explosive, and bigger...are just bad matchups for Loma at this point in his career.

Can Loma beat these guys? Yeah. But his chances are greatly diminished.
I say too bad. That’s what boxing is, and I wanna see what he looks like when he’s not the top dog. He showed heart tonight and learned a lesson (start quicker when he’s outgunned) so I know he’s down for a tough scrap...

and he’s taller and longer than Tank at the very least so he won’t struggle coming in. Might get blasted but might not. I wanna see it.
mekane
Donator & Superfights Challenge #2, 4 & 7 Champion

Post by mekane »

Scorecards were ridiculously bad just wow. I don’t like Loma at all he’s very skilled but his style is really flawed and we saw some of that tonight. Lopez obviously is good but I’m not sure he’s a hall of fame quality boxer, I guess we will see. Still the scorecards are some of the worst I’ve seen in a long time. Like the 119-109 should be suspended from judging again, was the ledermans daughter?
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

mekane wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:22 am Scorecards were ridiculously bad just wow. I don’t like Loma at all he’s very skilled but his style is really flawed and we saw some of that tonight. Lopez obviously is good but I’m not sure he’s a hall of fame quality boxer, I guess we will see. Still the scorecards are some of the worst I’ve seen in a long time. Like the 119-109 should be suspended from judging again, was the ledermans daughter?
Boxing is interesting. The right guy IMO won but yes, I agree, those cards are ridiculous. Yes the 119-109 card was Julie Lederman. She should not judge top fights anymore, or for a while at least. the 117-111 is a bit much too. I will watch it again in the next week and score it again, but I had it 7-5 first viewing. My first viewings are always with several scotch and bourbons in me. lol . but i feel good about that score.
elterrible

Post by elterrible »

Cagiva9 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:45 am I had it a draw, 2, 7, 8,9,10,11 for Loma. I thought 2,7 and 12 could have gone either way. No robbery, congrats to Lopez.

12 could have gone either way? That was a whitewash for lopez.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Lopez dominated the 12th. He landed 50 out of 98 punches and had loma stunned. He probably won 2 and 7 but they were closer

Loma threw 12 punches in the 2nd and was Outlanded. He won the final 20 seconds but that was it

Lopez won. There werent 6 rounds to give lomachenko
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Boxing has another young superstar in Teofimo. Loma looked rusty and started far too late, but Lopez's offense and strategy should receive most of the credit for nullifying the Ukraine talent's offense, cutting off his angles and generally being first, disallowing for any rhythm to be set.

I didn't see this fight as close save rounds 8-11, which were the only rounds I saw Loma win. Ward gave Loma the 2nd based on a singular flurry and a jab, but he was out landed, outworked(as he was in the 7th that Ward awarded Loma) and utilized too much movement. Teofimo beat the shit out of Loma in the 12th. He landed 47 power shots. You can't see that, you had to be drunk, blind, both and your last name ends in "chenko". That fight screamed 8-4.

Hell of an accomplishment and I hope the young guns of boxing look to travel the Brooklyn champion's path in regard to desire and ambition and props to Loma for leading the way in that regard. Teofimo was too fast, strong and poised for the now ex-champion who should drop down to 130, as lightweight has proven to be one step too far at this stage of his career.

NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Berlanga! He will be another one to keep eyes on. Complete commitment to power to go along with some heavy fucking paws.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:35 am Lopez dominated the 12th. He landed 50 out of 98 punches and had loma stunned. He probably won 2 and 7 but they were closer

Loma threw 12 punches in the 2nd and was Outlanded. He won the final 20 seconds but that was it

Lopez won. There werent 6 rounds to give lomachenko
7 is a toss up round for sure. Me, it being a draw or 7-5 for either one is okay with me.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

By round 4 it was clear lomachenko couldn't win fighting off the back foot. He didnt come forward until round 8

I picked lopez to win. Lomachenko is an old fighter. Not age wise but boxing wise he fought a long amateur career and has fought a lot of rounds in the pros at the highest level. Inactivity in older guys usually slows them down drastically. It was 14 months between fights. He was slowed enough he had jo real advantages over lopez.

I give him props for coming forward. Thats what a great fighter does (unlike mikey Garcia)
BadlyBrowned
______

Post by BadlyBrowned »

Rewatched.

Clear rounds:

Lopez: 1 3 4 5 6 12

Loma: 8 9 10 11

toss up rounds: 2 and 7

I was more inclined to give Loma round 7 than 2 because Loma started to step on the gas once he realized he could flurry with his superior handspeed, overjab and flurry, score and reset. On first watch i gave it to Loma but again it was close. Lopez controlled the tempo of round 2 but it was kind of uneventful for me until Loma flurried at the end. On first watch i gave that to Loma. Im more inclined to give that to Lopez upon 2nd watch but can see why it would be scored for Loma. All things above considered a draw would have been a stretch but scorable if you gave the swing rounds to Loma.

If I'm Loma i try and secure a rematch if i still feel i won (yes i know there's no rematch clause). That 4 round stretch he showed why he can make even the most dominant fighters look pedestrian but he was in there with a big, mean, composed future of the sport. A 2nd fight would probably be even better because 1) Loma will look at the tape and see that if he can get Lopez backing up first it would be a different fight and 2) Lopez would look at the tape and see that he took the best of Loma without flinching, and could hurt him really bad in exchanges if he forces them
mekane

Post by mekane »

BadlyBrowned wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:01 am 119-109 lmao.

This had remnants of BHop-Taylor 1 with Taylor winning round 12.

Decision was right, Loma waited too long to get going and it cost him. I think he would fare better in a rematch.
Except Lopez out landed Loma... in Hopkins/Taylor, Hopkins landed more punches both fights, and significantly more power punches. Watching carefully, Taylor barely landed a punch the whole fight, the punch stats were heavily inflated. Hopkins is the best defensive boxer of all time.
BadlyBrowned
______

Post by BadlyBrowned »

mekane wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:35 pm

Decision was right, Loma waited too long to get going and it cost him. I think he would fare better in a rematch.
Except Lopez out landed Loma... in Hopkins/Taylor, Hopkins landed more punches both fights, and significantly more power punches. Watching carefully, Taylor barely landed a punch the whole fight, the punch stats were heavily inflated. Hopkins is the best defensive boxer of all time.
Lopez also threw twice as many shots.

I threw out that comparison because whether or not Taylor was landing with authority Hopkins did not really warm up till later and Taylor was busier, which applies here.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

mekane wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:35 pm

Mayweather defense > hopkins
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

I don't know who was on the button keeping punch stat numbers but I have my suspicions.

Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

I had it a draw. My scorecard was identical to Andre Wards.

I have thought for years now that the judges should be watching on TV monitors and not sitting ringside where their view can be blocked making it impossible to see critical events occurring during a round.

For example, the ref being in the way or when the action is on the ropes one of the fighters has their back to a judge blocking their entire view of the action, how can a judge see if any punches thrown are even landed?

Lopez fought well, no problem seeing him get the win. Loma did a whole lot of nothing first half of the fight.

The scorecards were embarrassing. Anyone watching that fight at home didn't have it anywhere near what Julie Lederman had. That was atrocious.

Give these judges a monitor, turn the volume off and let's see what they come up with because last night was not a good look for them.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

I thought Lopez getting it was fair. I had it 7 rounds to 5 for him. I could see it anywhere from 8-4 Lopez to 7-5 Loma

It was a competitive fight, and Lomachenko definitely made a spirited surge down the stretch.

The 119-109 scorecard was ludicrous because he certainly won 3 rounds at least clear as a bell.

Anyway. Good competitive fight. Right guy won I thought.
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

the13r wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:52 pm I think its is Loma too old/non effective at that weight vs a young powerful confident up kid?

We'll soon know.... But Lopez has nothing on Loma achievement wise and he struggled with Nakatani... not impressive if we have to compare.
I didn't post what I thought was going to happen on here, I did on Youtube where everyone picked Loma to win 100%. I picked Lopez to win, but in complete opposite fashion. I thought Loma may be a little too elusive early but that Lopez with his superior size, power, youth and lack of wear and tear would eventually stop Loma in the 7th or 8th. Loma's worked his body hard for a long time and it does start breaking down. I never would've thought it would be Loma having to come back hard in the latter rounds to salvage his titles.

Loma fought hard, just too little to late and if they don't rematch I hope that Lopez fights Haney or some of the other top dogs in the division. Big Congrats to Lopez, even if I picked him to win.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”