When was GGG prime?

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
jeff_lacy_ko

When was GGG prime?

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

When was he at his best?
ObJuan13

Re: When was GGG prime?

Post by ObJuan13 »

Probably from the time he burst onto the scene... around the Ishida fight or so, up until after the 1st Canelo fight... May have been sooner than Ishida but only started watching him around that time

But I remember guys like RumCapitol talking about how good he was back on the ESPN board
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Kstat brought him up here as the most underrated fighter in the world before he was ever on hbo.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=37269&hilit=Golovkin

Of course astor was all over him too!
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Did pretty well for himself!

GGG's prime is a bit tough to figure out, because he started to face tougher opposition around the same time that you'd expect a guy his age to slow down. There just are not many fighters with his style and that many fights who are still at 100 percent when they are 35+, but at the same time Daniel Jacobs and Canelo are significantly better than the fighter he'd beaten before he faced them.

His last fight was the only one I've thought there has been a clear drop in his capabilities--he looked all around slower and less imposing, and although a very respectable fighter I don't think Sergey is all that much better than several of the opponents GGG was beating comfortably at one point. Just before the Golovkin war he'd had quite the competitive and tough fight vs Jack Culcay, and I think he's a solid but basic and unspectacular workman fighter..
KSTAT124
TTR Rankings & Results Editor
TTR Rankings & Results Editor

Post by KSTAT124 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:54 pm Kstat brought him up here as the most underrated fighter in the world before he was ever on hbo.
Wow! Thanks for remembering that! I started paying attention to his progress when, in his 8th pro bout, he stopped Sergey Khomitsky (Siarhei Khamitski). That was in 2007.

Later, it was amazing the amount of champions and contenders who found reasons to avoid fighting him during the period of 2009 through 2013.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:54 pm Kstat brought him up here as the most underrated fighter in the world before he was ever on hbo.
Yeah, Rum was on him pretty early... he was the king of the underground for a while there.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

KSTAT124 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:48 am
Wow! Thanks for remembering that! I started paying attention to his progress when, in his 8th pro bout, he stopped Sergey Khomitsky (Siarhei Khamitski). That was in 2007.

Later, it was amazing the amount of champions and contenders who found reasons to avoid fighting him during the period of 2009 through 2013.
I remember a lot... when we do prospect threads i can usually remember who had who and that was a fantastic call. Props to you 13 years later

I know a lot about boxing but i dont have a eye for prospects like a lot here do and i appreciate it when someone is more knowledgeable than me

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”