MMA Fans: Should they do 5 and 7 round fights?

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
TheSickness316

MMA Fans: Should they do 5 and 7 round fights?

Post by TheSickness316 »

So I'm watching UFC on ESPN and my brother brought up something interesting. He said he'd like to see fights go 5 to 7 rounds. Currently the UFC does 3 rounds for non title fights and 5 rounds for main event and championship fights. So my brother says he wants non main event non title fights go from 3 rounds to 5 and main event and championship fights go from 5 to 7. That is something I find interesting. What do you all think?
the13r
TTR

Re: MMA Fans: Should they do 5 and 7 round fights?

Post by the13r »

as a premier league type of setup and oligopole, i think UFC could def take it a step further in that direction... It's like super fights in boxing should still be 15...

BUT if they do UFC will end up with more injuries and long term injuries too... which will be bad publicity for their $pon$or$
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

The rounds in the UFC run 5 minutes as opposed to 3 minutes in boxing.

IMO UFC is fine the way it is right now. 3 rounds for regular fights, 5 rounds for a championship fight.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Slippery Pete II wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:47 am The rounds in the UFC run 5 minutes as opposed to 3 minutes in boxing.

IMO UFC is fine the way it is right now. 3 rounds for regular fights, 5 rounds for a championship fight.
And if they go 7 rounds for a main event or championship fight, they'll have fought for 35 minutes. They'd be right up there with boxing in terms of fight length.
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

TheSickness316 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:13 am
Slippery Pete II wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:47 am The rounds in the UFC run 5 minutes as opposed to 3 minutes in boxing.

And if they go 7 rounds for a main event or championship fight, they'll have fought for 35 minutes. They'd be right up there with boxing in terms of fight length.
UFC gloves are also only 4 ounces. I don't think longer fights are a good idea.

IMO the fight lengths are fine the way they are.

UFC still has some boring fights just like boxing. Imagine having to sit through an even longer fight of two guys trapped up against the cage, or wrestling on the ground.

No thanks.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”