Greatest heavyweight boxer to never win a title?

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Greatest heavyweight boxer to never win a title?

Post by Primetyme199 »

Greatest heavyweight boxer to never win a title, what are your thoughts?
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Peat56

Re: Greatest heavyweight boxer to never win a title?

Post by Peat56 »

Sam Langford
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Probably some old school guy like Langford
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Langford
Wills
Choynski
Quarry
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Recent

Tua
Ibeabuchi
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

Tua and Ibeabuchi were very good. Nearly every era has had some strong contenders who would have been champ had it not been for the actual champ.

I wonder if Gerry Cooney would have been champ in the early 80s had it nit been for Holmes? Or what about Earnie Shavers in the late 70s. Either of those guys, dropped into a weak era, would have done well. But so would many others. Its a tough question.
kewlmodee

Post by kewlmodee »

I'll add two to the list. Archie Moore and Teófilo Stevenson
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Teofilo is a good answer... Shame we didn't see him in his prime compete at the top. that straight right was one of the all-time best at the weight if not THE best
Papa1472002

Post by Papa1472002 »

Felix Savon
Jerry Quarry
Ken Norton (Does he count since he never actually won it?)
Harry Wills
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Chuvalo, maybe Lyle?
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
Pangloss

Post by Pangloss »

Jimmy Young
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Sam Langford

One of the greatest fighters of all time period. Title or no title.

I'm not sure if Greb was ever a recognized World Champion either. I know he was the American Light Heavyweight Champion at one point...and that kinda thing was a bigger deal then than it would be today if you had such a title.
FightFanAL
TTR SuperFights Challenge #1 & TTR Challenge #16 Champion
TTR SuperFights Challenge #1 & TTR Challenge #16 Champion

Post by FightFanAL »

Gotta be Langford. I think it was Dempsey that said he wanted no piece of Langford and was afraid of him.
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

I say Ray Mercer. Lost fights he never should have but gave all the greats a tough fight.
Papa1472002

Post by Papa1472002 »

FightFanAL wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:30 pm Gotta be Langford. I think it was Dempsey that said he wanted no piece of Langford and was afraid of him.
Nah Dempsey wasn't afraid of anyone. One of his original shady managers (John "The Barber" Reisler) tried to put him in against Langford when he first arrived to NYC from Utah. He refused to fight Langford because he wasn't experienced enough at the time. Langford was already a seasoned professional in his prime.
Papa1472002

Post by Papa1472002 »

ForceFed_231 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:57 pm I say Ray Mercer. Lost fights he never should have but gave all the greats a tough fight.
He was the WBO Champion back in the early 90's before the belt gained popularity.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Papa1472002 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:06 pm
FightFanAL wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:30 pm Gotta be Langford. I think it was Dempsey that said he wanted no piece of Langford and was afraid of him.
Nah Dempsey wasn't afraid of anyone. One of his original shady managers (John "The Barber" Reisler) tried to put him in against Langford when he first arrived to NYC from Utah. He refused to fight Langford because he wasn't experienced enough at the time. Langford was already a seasoned professional in his prime.
Given the whole "I won't fight black men" thing. I refuse to give Dempsey the "wasn't' afraid of anyone" kinda credit. He clearly wanted no part of at least 3 black guys in his era, and used the racism of the day to avoid them.

Whether he was afraid he'd get his ass kicked or afraid he'd lose and not make as much money in the future. He was afraid.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

I am not sure about the HWs from like 100 years ago---many of them wouldn't be close to HW today. As great a fighter as someone like Langford was, he was also about 5'6 and at times weighing in the 150s and 160s without weight draining. That's like a short junior welter or welter today.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

I've always felt that Jimmy Young was robbed of a title in his fight with Ali. Over the next year and a half after fighting Ali, Young beat Lyle and then Foreman. The decision in his fight with Norton, to earn the rematch with Ali he was promised, did not go his way. After that Jimmy just seemed to give up and his career reflected that.
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

Papa1472002 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:09 pm
ForceFed_231 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:57 pm I say Ray Mercer. Lost fights he never should have but gave all the greats a tough fight.
He was the WBO Champion back in the early 90's before the belt gained popularity.
I didn't count the WBO at the time, but I guess since the WBO is recognized now I guess he deserved to be called world champ. He actually beat a decent fighter to win the title, a come from behind win and defended it against a offensive machine in Morrison.
Papa1472002

Post by Papa1472002 »

gilgamesh wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:03 pm
Given the whole "I won't fight black men" thing. I refuse to give Dempsey the "wasn't' afraid of anyone" kinda credit. He clearly wanted no part of at least 3 black guys in his era, and used the racism of the day to avoid them.

Whether he was afraid he'd get his ass kicked or afraid he'd lose and not make as much money in the future. He was afraid.
He didn't fight Harry Wills in 1926 because his manager wouldn't let him. The Tunney fight was MUCH more lucrative. However, Dempsey did have black fighters on his record. He fought several of them during his "Kid Blackie" era, including John Lester Johnson who broke Dempsey's ribs when they fought. Its funny how people somehow always seem to forget that. If you really knew Dempsey's story, you wouldn't say something like that. He took on all comers from city to city and didn't care what color they were. He fought in bars, coal mines, cellars and everywhere else just to build his reputation. Unlike many of the fighters in his era, Dempsey wasn't racist.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Papa1472002 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:21 am
gilgamesh wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:03 pm

He didn't fight Harry Wills in 1926 because his manager wouldn't let him. The Tunney fight was MUCH more lucrative. However, Dempsey did have black fighters on his record. He fought several of them during his "Kid Blackie" era, including John Lester Johnson who broke Dempsey's ribs when they fought. Its funny how people somehow always seem to forget that. If you really knew Dempsey's story, you wouldn't say something like that. He took on all comers from city to city and didn't care what color they were. He fought in bars, coal mines, cellars and everywhere else just to build his reputation. Unlike many of the fighters in his era, Dempsey wasn't racist.
When Dempsey was poor and needed the money he fought whoever he needed to fight to get a payday. Like everyone does. When he was Champ, and called the shots the shot he called was to NEVER fight a black man again. That's a fact.

Whether he was racist or not I don't give a shit, but he used racism to his advantage to avoid the most dangerous opponents of his era.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”