How to Make Burgers: A Guide by Sam Sifton

Food & beverages Discussions
CageyVeteran

Re: How to Make Burgers: A Guide by Sam Sifton

Post by CageyVeteran »

I've been reading a lot of people are getting injured from wire brushes used to clean grills. I'm going to start using iron skillet.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

CageyVeteran wrote:I've been reading a lot of people are getting injured from wire brushes used to clean grills. I'm going to start using iron skillet.
https://www.amazon.com/Great-Scrape-Woo ... ll+cleaner

Try this.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

hardcorebee24 wrote:
CageyVeteran wrote:I've been reading a lot of people are getting injured from wire brushes used to clean grills. I'm going to start using iron skillet.
https://www.amazon.com/Great-Scrape-Woo ... ll+cleaner

Try this.

$30 bucks for a hunk of wood?
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

CageyVeteran wrote:

$30 bucks for a hunk of wood?
Utensils of all kinds are overpriced commodities. It was just an option to clean your grill. I picked one up at Costco for $14.99.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

There is a unique flavor gained from a skillet. I was just thinking this as I stopped in a small burger joint on the beach yesterday.
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

yoloswaggy911 wrote:

There is a unique flavor gained from a skillet. I was just thinking this as I stopped in a small burger joint on the beach yesterday.

I totally forgot to buy one. I had one somewhere and now it just disappeared. Crazy how shit disappears. And the funny thing, I don't even know where it even came from.
athenian

Post by athenian »

Fresh basil and a red onion are the key toppings for me. Try it. You won't regret it
chef97

Post by chef97 »

athenian wrote:Fresh basil and a red onion are the key toppings for me. Try it. You won't regret it
Tried and true by a number of TTR culinarians.... 8)

Thanks for the tip athenian!
Chef
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

I don't know how many actual injuries there have been, but it does concern me and i have quit using the classic wire brush. There are a number of alternatives out there. I doubt any of them offer you the speed and efficiency of a wire brush but I am content to go a bit slower and work a bit harder to clean the grill.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

athenian wrote:Fresh basil and a red onion are the key toppings for me. Try it. You won't regret it
I do a ayoli with basil everytime i make burgers!
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

If you are lucky enough to be near a Sprouts Farmers Market, they sell ground elk and ground venison for a little less than $10/pound. To me at least, it's a noticeable improvement over ground beef.

I was not too crazy about the wild boar and I don't eat veal :|
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

CageyVeteran wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:37 pm I've been reading a lot of people are getting injured from wire brushes used to clean grills. I'm going to start using iron skillet.
It has happened. I doubt the numbers of people dying or being injured are big, but it certainly has happened. There are lots of good alternatives to clean your grill, such as wooden paddles, nylon brushes, and heavy duty metal brushes that where nothing breaks off.

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”