OT: The beer thread

Food & beverages Discussions
mattd3742

Re: OT: The beer thread

Post by mattd3742 »

regulardude wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote:[

Yeah, one of the bad thing about the craft beer movement, so damn expensive. One of the reasons I started brewing my own. You need to find some beer connoisseurs around you. That's how I get to try most of the new stuff I try. Much cheaper to get a wide sample when everyone brings a bottle or two of something.
Buddy of mine who turned me on to craft beers lives up the street. Except that he's strictly an IPA guy. Pretty much everything he gets is far too hoppy for me.

I think I'm going to snatch up a sixer of Uinta Pumpkin Ale and hope for the best this weekend.
If you can get cigar city where you are they make an awesome pumpkin beer. The problem is I live in FL and it is hard for me to get and they brew it in Tampa. I know I told you before my favorite is pumking but I also like punkin by dogfish head - have you tried that one?
mattd3742

Post by mattd3742 »

regulardude wrote:
mattd3742 wrote:[

If you can get cigar city where you are they make an awesome pumpkin beer. The problem is I live in FL and it is hard for me to get and they brew it in Tampa. I know I told you before my favorite is pumking but I also like punkin by dogfish head - have you tried that one?
Thanks, matt. Yeah, I've read about the Cigar City pumpkin ale, but haven't been able to locate it near me.

I have, however, seen the Dogfish Head punkin ale. I've hesitated to get it because it's only a 4-pack. But if you're saying I should pull the trigger on it, I'll go for it.
I doubt you will be disappointed, its similar to pumking but not as sweet. But as a disclaimer I'm a fan of most everything from dogfish head. I have a great deal of respect for a brewery that has stretched the norms of what beer is supposed to be.
mattd3742

Post by mattd3742 »

regulardude wrote:
mattd3742 wrote:[

I doubt you will be disappointed, its similar to pumking but not as sweet. But as a disclaimer I'm a fan of most everything from dogfish head. I have a great deal of respect for a brewery that has stretched the norms of what beer is supposed to be.
I'm not a big hop-head, so I haven't had any of their IPAs, which I know is their trademark. That said, Raison d'etre and Indian Brown Ale are two of my all-time favorites at this point.
I didn't like IPA's until I bought a 4 pack of their 90 min IPA...changed my beer life by the end of the 4-pack
classicboxfan

Post by classicboxfan »

[quote="regulardude"]Over the last year or so, I've actually developed a decent palate and become a bit of a beer snob (or at least a wannabe beer snob).

Post any beer you really like and describe it (i.e., light or dark, hoppy, crisp, etc.). I tend to favor lighter beers (racist), usually wheat or something like that.

I'll start off naming a couple-few beers I really dig:

Hofbräu Münchner Weisse: It's a German hefeweizen that has a faint banana taste. Really, really good.

mmmmm take a slice of lemon and push it with a straw to the bottom of a chilled pilsner glass so that it stays wedged in the bottom of the glass. poor that baby at a tilt ever so slow and watch the Weiss beer effervesce through that slice of lemon............................delicious.

I'll take that or a creamy double dark / Guinness stout any day of the week . delicious.

for casual drinking Coors banquet beer is just fine with me
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

Duder, picked up some Old Scratch Amber Lager by Flying Dog. Reviews to follow after I whack down the sixer on Sunday. Have you had this flavor?
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

regulardude wrote: No sir. Never had that one. Lemme know how it is.

I actually scooped up a six-pack of Flying Dog The Fear (Imperial Pumpkin Porter). Holy shit, dude. Tremendous beer. Bit boozy, but really has some thickness. It's a drinkable beer even if you don't like pumpkin beers.
So we drank the Old Scratch. Tastes good drinking it, but leaves a strange aftertaste. My wife really likes it, shge said she'd get it again. I think it's good but I probably wouldn't buy it again for myself. It also gave me a hangover... or that could have been the four scotch and soda's I drank at my nephews baptism before I drank four Old Scratch's when I got home.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

Had a taste test/comparison this weekend: Founders Breakfast Stout Vs Left Hand Brewery's Nitro Milk Stout (which according to Beer Advocate is the same as their regular Milk Stout).

Had three of each. Founders pours less head and has a much bolder taste (along with a higher abv) than Left Hand. Coffee and chocolate flavors were more than subtle, which I liked, my wife found it too strong. After I finished the first I immediately wanted a second. Both were excellent though. Left Hand is similar to Guinness in its texture and look. Its thick and incredibly smooth but mild in flavor, not too sweet like some other milk stouts I've had.

In the end I chose Founders as the winner. If you like a sweeter more mild beer I would recommend Left Hand though. Left hand is very, very good but Founders was better.
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

my wife got me Shock Top Pumpkin brew, fucking gross.

Sierra Nevada's Extra Torpedo IPA nice and strong. Laguinitas always a favorite as well.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

regulardude wrote:
I'm not too big on the Lefthand Milk Stout, even though I like that style. Just doesn't do it for me for whatever reason. I'd take the Founders Breakfast over that every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

Oh, I was up in NYC and finally got to sample a Bluepoint Oatmeal Stout (draft). Delicious. Very nicely done, and I will be consuming more of that in the future. My wife is mostly a wine drinker, but she likes the Bluepoint Toasted Lager.
They just do a lot of things right. Their Rye Malt/ale is good too. RastafaRye ale. It's a corny name but they donate proceeds to something I can't remember. You should have told me that you were in town, right near where your wife is from is a great little dive called Sunswick on 35th st and 35th Ave. It opened a few years ago and they have a lot of local and not local craft beer on tap. There is also another good place a sports bar that my friend is currently the manager of called McCanns that is now providing craft beer, they're on Ditmars Blvd and 36th near Steinway St. McCanns gets all the fights too. Both boxing and UFC. If both are on, one TV will have boxing and the other UFC.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

regulardude wrote:Changed my mind: Sunswick has a better beer selection. I'll be going there. :)
McCanns has way better food, and they're getting better beers in there since my buddy took over. The owner is cool he's from Ireland and a rabid boxing fan. Sunswick gets the hipster crowd sometimes. McCanns has nice pool tables and two dart boards in the back... Sunswick has trivia night lol.
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

I went to the store yesterday and almost picked up some of this stuff. The 6 pack was on sale

The 8% was tempting. Anybody tried this before?
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

did a quick google search of reviews of it. sounds TERRIBLE.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

regulardude wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:did a quick google search of reviews of it. sounds TERRIBLE.
I can't usually do blueberry beers. Tried one before and it was nasty.
I have never found one of these fruity beers that I could drink more than a few of. Seems like I like them fine to begin with but the taste seems to grow weird and tiresome after a short time.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

Cagiva9 wrote:
regulardude wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:did a quick google search of reviews of it. sounds TERRIBLE.
I can't usually do blueberry beers. Tried one before and it was nasty.
I have never found one of these fruity beers that I could drink more than a few of. Seems like I like them fine to begin with but the taste seems to grow weird and tiresome after a short time.
Those make me sick. Any of the ciders, blueberry stuff, hard lemonades etc. They're nasty, immediate heartburn.
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

People tell me good things about the hard apple ciders, but I still havent tried them yet.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

gomez1012 wrote:People tell me good things about the hard apple ciders, but I still havent tried them yet.
Those people are stupid and evil. Don't listen to them.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

Had some Keegans Mother's Milk Stout. It was good. It went well with what I was eating.

Also had some Long Trail Double Bag. That shit was delicious. I'll be drinking a lot more of that. I'd had it before but I forgot about it. I woked at a restaurant that used Long Trail for their Black and Tan's.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

regulardude wrote: There's a place called Draught 55 in NYC that has a bunch of good beers. I wanted to order the Keegans but they were out. Dammit.

What's the Double Bag? What kind of beer?
It's made by Long Trail out of Vermont. It's a strong ale. Has some decent bite. Malty. 7.2%. Get's you a nice buzz too.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

regulardude wrote:
stenchasaurous wrote:
regulardude wrote:Nice. I'll throw it on my list. Malty + strong = awesome.
Try Samichlaus if you can find it around you. It will be different from anything you've ever had before. One will be enough for a lightweight such as yourself; it's basically the equivalent of drinking a bottle of wine alcohol-wise.
What kind of beer is Samichlaus? What kinda ABV are we talkin'?

I drank one of the Dirty Bastards last night: delicious. Love it. Best Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy I've had.
It's a seasonal Christmas beer. They carry it at the Bier and Cheese store you were at.
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

Real tasty and strong brew.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

gomez1012 wrote:Image

Real tasty and strong brew.
I'll see if I can get this out here. Supposedly they're supposed to start Brewing in Rochester which would make it more accessible.
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

You guys dont have any kind of Lagunitas out there?
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

gomez1012 wrote:You guys dont have any kind of Lagunitas out there?
We do. Just not in abundance and not all of their options. Their year round beers are easy to find. Seasonal beers are more difficult. I love their Cappuccino Stout and their Censored. I haven't been able to get their Undercover Investigation, a guy I work with is from "The Town" and he always talks about this stuff.
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

haha nice. Yeah its great stuff. Cant get enough of it. Love the Censored as well.

I havent been to as many of the breweries as I would like to. Lot of options.
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

i think that is their specialty, but they do have a Pils, Stout, and a few others

Every one Ive tried has been great - IPA, Lil Sumpin Sumpin, The Maximus, Censored

http://lagunitas.com/beers/#

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”