Roman González defeated Carlos Cuadras Saturday •Gil RBR•

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Worldbreaker

Roman González defeated Carlos Cuadras Saturday •Gil RBR•

Post by Worldbreaker »

Chocolatito" González vs Carlos Cuadras in the works..
hardcorebee24

Re: Chocolatito" González Vs Carlos Cuadras

Post by hardcorebee24 »

"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
NoPropaganda 253

Re: Chocolatito" González Vs Carlos Cuadras

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

tainos
TTR Super Challenge 7 & Regular Challenge 20 & 22 Champion

Roman Gonzalez in Talks With Honda For Carlos Cuadras Clash

Post by tainos »

http://www.boxingscene.com/roman-gonzal ... friendly=1

Love this fight. Looks like Chocolatito is moving up.
Yo naci en Puerto Rico. Pero me cree en Nueva York. Pero nunca me olvidare, de mi tierra Borinquena.
Team Platano Power - Carribean Connection
Based

Re: Roman Gonzalez in Talks With Honda For Carlos Cuadras Cl

Post by Based »

He don't want none of El Gallito or Inoue. Cuadras is good, but I haven't been happy with the recent string of fights Chocolalito has had on HBO. It's been a let down. Kinda what GGG has been doing, but he isn't being ducked. Estrada has been calling him out for a long time.
tainos

Post by tainos »

Based wrote:He don't want none of El Gallito or Inoue. Cuadras is good, but I haven't been happy with the recent string of fights Chocolalito has had on HBO. It's been a let down. Kinda what GGG has been doing, but he isn't being ducked. Estrada has been calling him out for a long time.
I dont think hes ducking Estrada. You cant duck a fighter you already have fought and beaten. Yes it was a competitive fight but Chocolalito clearly won the first fight. As far as Inoue hes still a young buck and its too early for him to fight Chocolalito. That is the fight I want to see though once Roman beats Cuadras.
Yo naci en Puerto Rico. Pero me cree en Nueva York. Pero nunca me olvidare, de mi tierra Borinquena.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

I'd like to see the Estrada rematch but the #2 guy a division upwards is solid fight for Chocolatito.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Inoue still needs polishing. I also like the Cuadras fight. Cuadras won't get any better and his work on the inside, particularly the body work could make it interesting similar to the Estrada war.
Based

Post by Based »

tainos wrote:
Based wrote:He don't want none of El Gallito or Inoue. Cuadras is good, but I haven't been happy with the recent string of fights Chocolalito has had on HBO. It's been a let down. Kinda what GGG has been doing, but he isn't being ducked. Estrada has been calling him out for a long time.
I dont think hes ducking Estrada. You cant duck a fighter you already have fought and beaten. Yes it was a competitive fight but Chocolalito clearly won the first fight. As far as Inoue hes still a young buck and its too early for him to fight Chocolalito. That is the fight I want to see though once Roman beats Cuadras.
I thought Estrada won, and i not the only one who scored it that way. The rematch is warranted as they are both demolishing everyone in their path. Roman said he'll only do it for a mil. I think he's trying to price himself out of a challenging fight.
tainos

Post by tainos »

Based wrote:
tainos wrote:
I thought Estrada won, and i not the only one who scored it that way. The rematch is warranted as they are both demolishing everyone in their path. Roman said he'll only do it for a mil. I think he's trying to price himself out of a challenging fight.
Its definitely warranted but Chocolalito has stated their not offering enough money for the rematch. Chocolalito wants to be compensated for the rematch understandably. Estrada's people havent come up with the cash necessary from what ive heard.
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

I really like that fight...hopefully it goes ahead.

Also, I can't see at all how Estrada deserved the win over Gonzalez; it was much closer than most of Roman's fights, but I thought he clearly deserved it.
Based

Post by Based »

To me it sounds like Gonzalez is out pricing himself. Gallito hasn't fought in 9 months, which is odd because Estrada is usually active. ESPN Deportes reported that theres talks between Nietes and Estrada's to make a fight. Hopefully both of these potential fights happen and the winners face off.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

the13r wrote:Inoue still needs polishing. I also like the Cuadras fight. Cuadras won't get any better and his work on the inside, particularly the body work could make it interesting similar to the Estrada war.
Inoue might need to fight more than once a year to get that polishing.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

Smart of Roman to move up. He initially said after his last win that he wasn't going to move up yet but I think making the weight has been killing him. He looked like he was laboring in his last fight to me. Hopefully the move up will be all he needs to continue his domination.
DBO
Only DBO & Marciano have won All 3 Challenges

Post by DBO »

The money for the Estrada fight just has not materialized and they deserve a million each. He's moving toward Inoue not away from him.
KSTAT124
TTR Rankings & Results Editor

Post by KSTAT124 »

gilgamesh wrote:
the13r wrote:Inoue still needs polishing. I also like the Cuadras fight. Cuadras won't get any better and his work on the inside, particularly the body work could make it interesting similar to the Estrada war.
Inoue might need to fight more than once a year to get that polishing.
Inoue has been injury-prone.

He fought eight times during his first 26 months as a pro, winning two world titles. He suffered an injury to his right hand while winning the second (when he stopped Omar Narvaez) and needed surgery. That resulted in a year layoff. He came back with consecutive wins over WBO mandatory challengers, stopping Warlito Parrenas in two rounds in December 2015 and unanimously outpointing David Carmona over 12 in last month. Unfortunately, he-injured his right hand during the Carmona bout.

Inoue's only 10-0 but that includes a 5-0 record in world title bouts and a 3-0 record vs. fighters who hold or held world titles (UD 10 over Ryoichi Taguchi, now the reigning WBA World light flyweight champion; TKO-6 over Adrian Hernandez, then the defending WBC World light flyweight champ; and KO-2 over Narvaez, then the long-reigning WBO World junior bantamweight champion).
KSTAT124

Post by KSTAT124 »

Gonzalez' last three fights:

May 16, 2015:

Lineal, WBC, and Ring Magazine World Flyweight Titles-
Champion Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez (Transnational #2 P4P, TTR #3 P4P, The Ring #3 P4P; 43-0, 37 KOs)
TKO-2 2:37
Edgar Sosa (WBC #2, WBO #3, The Ring #4, Transnational #5, TTR #7; 51-9, 30 KOs)
- Gonzalez floored Sosa three times in the second round.

October 17, 2015:

Lineal, WBC, and Ring Magazine World Titles-
Champion Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez (TTR #1 P4P, Transnational #1 P4P, The Ring #1 P4P; 44-0, 38 KOs)
TKO-9 2:53
Brian Viloria (WBO #1, WBC #2, The Ring #3, TTR #4, Transnational #4; 36-5, 1 NC, 1 ND, 22 KOs)
- Gonzalez floored Viloria in the third round. Viloria fought on valiantly but was outgunned by the sport's #1 P4P fighter.

April 23, 2016:

Lineal, WBC, and Ring Magazine World Flyweight Titles-
Champion Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez (TTR #1 P4P, Transnational #1 P4P, The Ring #1 P4P; 45-0, 38 KOs)
Unan. Dec. 12
McWilliams Arroyo (TTR #5, Transnational #7, The Ring #8, WBC #10; 16-3, 14 KOs)
- The scores were 119-109, 119-109, and 120-108.
- Harold Lederman, scoring the bout for HBO, also had Gonzalez winning, 119-109. He gave Arroyo the first round and the rest to Gonzalez.
- I scored the bout for TTR and had it 119-109 for Gonzalez as well. The only round I gave Arroyo was the second.

Estrada's last three fights:

December 6, 2014:

Non-title Super Flyweight Bout-
WBA-WBO Unified World flyweight champion Juan Francisco Estrada (TTR #1, TBRBoard #1, The Ring #1- all at 112; TBRBoard #9 P4P, TTR #12 P4P; 31-2, 22 KOs)
Unan. Dec. 10
WBC Continental Americas flyweight champion Joebert Alvarez (WBO #8, IBF #11, WBC #23- all at 112; 14-1-1, 6 KOs)
- The scores were 98-92, 99-91, and 99-91.

March 28, 2015:

WBA World Unified Flyweight Championship/WBO World Flyweight Title-
WBA Unified champion/WBO World champion Juan Francisco Estrada (TTR #1, TBRBoard #1, The Ring #1; TBRBoard #9 P4P, TTR #11 P4P; 32-2, 23 KOs)
TKO-3
Rommel Asenjo (WBO #12, WBA #15- both at 112; IBF #15 at 105; 26-4, 20 KOs)
- Estrada relentlessly battered Asenjo until the challenger's corner finally threw in the towel about forty seconds into round 3.

September 26, 2015:

WBA Unified World Flyweight Title/WBO World Flyweight Title-
Unified champion/Champion Juan Francisco Estrada (TTR #1, Transnational #1, The Ring #1; Transnational #6 P4P, TTR #8 P4P; 33-2, 24 KOs)
KO-10 1:26
Hernan "Tyson" Marquez (WBA #3, WBO #3; 39-6-1, 28 KOs)
- Estrada floored Marquez seven times- twice in the sixth round, twice in the seventh, once in the ninth, and twice in the tenth.
tainos

'Chocolatito' Gonzalez bids for fourth belt vs. Cuadras

Post by tainos »

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/17 ... os-cuadras

Pound-for-pound king Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez, who has won world titles in three weight classes, will go for a belt in his fourth in his next fight.

Gonzalez, the reigning flyweight champion who has already won world titles at strawweight and junior flyweight, will move up to 115 pounds and challenge Carlos Cuadras for his junior bantamweight crown on Sept. 10 (HBO, 10 p.m. ET/PT) at The Forum in Inglewood, California, K2 Promotions announced on Wednesday.

Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez, right, will move up to 115 pounds and challenge Carlos Cuadras for his junior bantamweight crown on Sept. 10. Ed Mulholland/K2 Promotions
"I'm very happy to challenge Carlos Cuadras for a world title in my fourth weight class," Gonzalez said. "It's an honor to return to fight at The Forum in front of the great Los Angeles fight fans."

The fight will be part of an HBO split-site telecast on which K2 stablemate and unified middleweight titleholder Gennady Golovkin will defend against welterweight titlist Kell Brook at the O2 Arena in London in a previously announced bout that will air live in the afternoon in the United States. That night, HBO will have live coverage of Cuadras-Gonzalez along with a replay of Golovkin-Brook.

Cuadras will be fighting in the United States for the second time but for the first time on television and he said he is looking forward to it.

"I am excited to fight in the United States for the first time on HBO and at the legendary Forum in front of the great boxing fans in California," Cuadras said. "Roman Gonzalez is a great champion and I have a lot of respect for him. I will prepare myself to be in the best condition of my boxing career to defend my WBC belt."

The 29-year-old Gonzalez (45-0, 38 KOs), the best fighter in Nicaragua's history other than his mentor, friend and former trainer, the late Hall of Famer Alexis Arguello, has struggled in recent fights to make the flyweight limit of 112 pounds. So after making four successful flyweight title defenses, including tremendous knockout performances against former world titleholders Brian Viloria and Edgar Sosa, he is headed up in weight to take on the formidable Cuadras (35-0-1, 27 Kos).

If Gonzalez wins a title in a fourth weight class he will accomplish what Arguello failed to do. Arguello, who had won world titles at featherweight, junior lightweight and lightweight, went for a title in a fourth weight class but got knocked out by fellow Hall of Famer Aaron Pryor in the 14th round of their legendary battle at the Orange Bowl in Miami in 1982.

"Arguello is such a legend that if Chocolatito can surpass what his idol tried to accomplish, it would be a huge statement for Roman and his career," K2 Promotions managing director Tom Loeffler said. "When we were discussing potential opponents for Chocolatito's next fight, we went over a list of names and this fight seemed to be the biggest fight he could get right now. But I think (surpassing Arguello) played into his mind."

If Gonzalez surpasses Arguello's feat, he will do so in an arena important to both of their careers. Gonzalez is 2-0 at The Forum, where he burst on the American scene by scoring a second-round knockout of Sosa in 2015. Arguello fought four of his world title bouts at The Forum, including in 1974 when he knocked out fellow Hall of Famer Ruben Olivares in the 13th round to win the featherweight crown.

"We're very excited to bring Roman back to the Fabulous Forum in his first main event at the famed venue," Loeffler said. "Roman has proven with each fight why he is considered to be the No.1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world. "

"Challenging an undefeated champion in his fourth weight class will be a great test for Roman and this battle against Cuadras will provide the non-stop action fans have come to expect at his fights."

Cuadras, 27, of Mexico, won the belt by eighth-round technical decision from Thailand's Srisaket Sor Rungvisai in May 2014 and has made six successful defenses. His first defense resulted in the lone blemish on his record, a fourth-round technical draw against Jose Salgado in a fight that ended when an accidental head clash cut Salgado and he was unable to continue.

Cuadras is coming off an eighth-round knockout of longtime Filipino contender Richie Mepranum on April 23, the same date as Gonzalez's lopsided decision win against McWilliams Arroyo in his last defense, which was also at The Forum.
Tocsin

Re: 'Chocolatito' Gonzalez bids for fourth belt vs. Cuadras

Post by Tocsin »

I like this fight...Cuadras isn't Inoue, but he's a solid champ and a legit top 3 guy at the weight.
DBO

Post by DBO »

Man, I would love to make it out to Forum to see this. I was glad i got to cover the Viloria bout, but Gonzalez is my favorite fighter and once is not enough.
tainos

Post by tainos »

DBO wrote:Man, I would love to make it out to Forum to see this. I was glad i got to cover the Viloria bout, but Gonzalez is my favorite fighter and once is not enough.
I have not gone to a fight out here since Wlad/Arreola. I may buy tickets to this one.
DBO

Post by DBO »

tainos wrote:
DBO wrote:Man, I would love to make it out to Forum to see this. I was glad i got to cover the Viloria bout, but Gonzalez is my favorite fighter and once is not enough.
I have not gone to a fight out here since Wlad/Arreola. I may buy tickets to this one.
You mean Vitali. You had me thinking my memory was worse than it is!
RimmyJice

Post by RimmyJice »

He's moving up to 115 and is already a "3 weightclass" champion?
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Wow! Chocolatito knows how to make & keep fans! This is the kind of fight they need to show on regular TV to gain new fans into our sport.....
Chef

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”