Canelo Now WBO's #1 Contender at 154

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Trafficante28

Re: Canelo Now WBO's #1 Contender at 154

Post by Trafficante28 »

How do Canelo fanboys feel about this fight? First Khan and now this PPV? Haha
I roll with the same strap that killed Bambies mother - Calcium Kid
mofo2

Post by mofo2 »

Great fight for Liam this, he deserves his chance at a high profile fight and I most certainly wouldn't dismiss his chances of winning!!
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

mofo2 wrote:Great fight for Liam this, he deserves his chance at a high profile fight and I most certainly wouldn't dismiss his chances of winning!!
I hope Liam kicks the snot out of this guy. Karma has to come into play at some point.
RIP SCAPP 12/7/09
Based

Post by Based »

What a coincidence right? being ranked #1 on a fight that he already signed for.
mofo2

Post by mofo2 »

RASTA666 wrote:
mofo2 wrote:Great fight for Liam this, he deserves his chance at a high profile fight and I most certainly wouldn't dismiss his chances of winning!!
I hope Liam kicks the snot out of this guy. Karma has to come into play at some point.
Im not one of the Canelo haters mate, I actually rate the guy, but Liam is a local lad that lives a couple of miles or so from me so im seriously rooting for him; there A top family are the Smiths!
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

mofo2 wrote:
RASTA666 wrote:
Im not one of the Canelo haters mate, I actually rate the guy, but Liam is a local lad that lives a couple of miles or so from me so im seriously rooting for him; there A top family are the Smiths!

Its disgust for me on their/his actions not hate. I actually think he's a pretty good fighter but he's weak in the head. Watch him weigh in at 155 or 156 and still have the title on the line.
RIP SCAPP 12/7/09
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

His best win is over John Thompson---he hasn't earned this fight IMO, at least not compared to a load of other guys from 154-160.

His chances are very low IMO. He's unlikely to stop Canelo and what are the odds that the judges give him a decision?
Last edited by Tocsin on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Let's see if Canelo can actually make 154 this time. We saw how that went when he tried the last time.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

RASTA666 wrote:Liam should demand 153. Oh and not move a freakin centimetre on venue.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

WillieB59 wrote:Smith may have a "title" but he doesn't belong in the ring with Alvarez. Look at his record:

http://boxrec.com/boxer/466535

It will be almost criminal if Smith is Alvarez' next opponent.
That's exactly why GBP wants this fight.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Tocsin wrote:
His best win is over John Thompson---he hasn't earned this fight IMO, at least not compared to a load of other guys from 154-160.[/]

His chances are very low IMO. He's unlikely to stop Canelo and what are the odds that the judges give him a decision?

What are you talking about? This fight is for Smith's title at 154. He isn't moving up or anything like that to fight for a title. Canelo is moving down to fight for the title.

Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Primetyme199 wrote:
Tocsin wrote:
His best win is over John Thompson---he hasn't earned this fight IMO, at least not compared to a load of other guys from 154-160.[/]

What are you talking about? This fight is for Smith's title at 154. He isn't moving up or anything like that to fight for a title. Canelo is moving down to fight for the title.

mofo stated that Smith deserves a chance at a high profile fight, and I'm saying that several other guys around Canelo's weight deserve it more. Of course the bout is at 154, but Canelo's side probably would've looked into other options before settling on Smith at that weight.

I don't really see how someone has earned a high-profile fight when their best opponent was John Thompson, and no one else they've beaten is even EBU level.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

He's the champ, he deserves any and every fight for his title.

Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Big whoop that he's got a paper title. He's beaten crap for the most part and if high-profile fights are 'deserved' or 'earned' I don't think he's done enough to merit one, at least not compared to many other guys around the weight. This is also the type of thing that encourages fighters to pad their record with low risk fights in the hope of an eventual payout; that's exactly what boxing needs more of, isn't it?
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Tocsin wrote:Big whoop that he's got a paper title. He's beaten crap for the most part and if high-profile fights are 'deserved' or 'earned' I don't think he's done enough to merit one, at least not compared to many other guys around the weight. This is also the type of thing that encourages fighters to pad their record with low risk fights in the hope of an eventual payout; that's exactly what boxing needs more of, isn't it?

So GBP calls up Smith and wants to fight for his title, you think Smith should say no? He should say I'm really sorry Oscar, but I don't think I deserve to fight Canelo at this point in my career. I haven't done enough to merit this opportunity your giving me.

Who should Smith be fighting after he says no to Canelo? Then when he chooses those fights he'll get shit for fighting lesser competition and avoiding Canelo.

This is only happening because Canelo ran away from the division he was fighting in so he could avoid GGG. Its not like Smith was calling him out and moving up to fight at Caneloweight. The only one to blame for this fight is Canelo. He's the one that went out looking for Smith.

NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Primetyme199 wrote:
Tocsin wrote:Big whoop that he's got a paper title. He's beaten crap for the most part and if high-profile fights are 'deserved' or 'earned' I don't think he's done enough to merit one, at least not compared to many other guys around the weight. This is also the type of thing that encourages fighters to pad their record with low risk fights in the hope of an eventual payout; that's exactly what boxing needs more of, isn't it?

So GBP calls up Smith and wants to fight for his title, you think Smith should say no? He should say I'm really sorry Oscar, but I don't think I deserve to fight Canelo at this point in my career. I haven't done enough to merit this opportunity your giving me.

Who should Smith be fighting after he says no to Canelo? Then when he chooses those fights he'll get shit for fighting lesser competition and avoiding Canelo.

This is only happening because Canelo ran away from the division he was fighting in so he could avoid GGG. I s no t like Smith was calling him out and moving up to fight at Caneloweight. The only one to blame for this fight is Canelo. He's the one that went out looking for Smith.
The blame should lie soley on the deceptively elusive shoulders of Yellow Canelo.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Primetyme199 wrote:

This is only happening because Canelo ran away from the division he was fighting in so he could avoid GGG. Its not like Smith was calling him out and moving up to fight at Caneloweight. The only one to blame for this fight is Canelo. He's the one that went out looking for Smith.
What makes you think I'd advise Smith to turn this down? I don't believe he's relatively deserving of a fight like this, but it was offered and he was smart to take such a good opportunity.

Similarly, I wouldn't say that a 5-13 clubfighter is deserving of a fight with Canelo, but if they were offered the chance it would be probably be best for them to accept it.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”