GGG & Canelo have agreed to fight...

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Re: GGG & Canelo have agreed to fight...

Post by gilgamesh »

chef97 wrote:
gilgamesh wrote:Canelo quickly went from a fighter I'm a fan of to a fighter I absolutely despise. I'll be rooting for him to be knocked out for the rest of his career anytime he fights anybody.
Same.... I used to be a huge Canelo fan during his early years.... Back then Astor would show his fights on those late night cards from Mexico on Telefutura and Solo Boxeo.... Canelo was a heavy handed seek and destroy type of fighter back then...... But now, it seems Canelo would much rather avoid the toughest fights out there.... I blame all of this on the FMJ play book he employs now........ Oh, I'll fight you but, you'll have to starve yourself and I did I tell you that you only get 20% of the purse split
Yeah the fact that I thought of him as a real fighter with the balls to fight anybody makes his refusal to fight GGG feel almost like a betrayal to me. I don't know that I've ever disliked a fighter more than I dislike him now.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

kinggrissly wrote:
No offense, homie, it just seemed out of sync with your typical thinking. If I misattributed some other people's stuff to you my bad.
Not offended, my post just came off a lot harsher than I intended it.
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

chef97 wrote:
gilgamesh wrote:Canelo quickly went from a fighter I'm a fan of to a fighter I absolutely despise. I'll be rooting for him to be knocked out for the rest of his career anytime he fights anybody.
Same.... I used to be a huge Canelo fan during his early years.... Back then Astor would show his fights on those late night cards from Mexico on Telefutura and Solo Boxeo.... Canelo was a heavy handed seek and destroy type of fighter back then...... But now, it seems Canelo would much rather avoid the toughest fights out there.... I blame all of this on the FMJ play book he employs now........ Oh, I'll fight you but, you'll have to starve yourself and I did I tell you that you only get 20% of the purse split
Floyd fought world champions in many of his fights. The only reason people look down on Floyd is because of his exceptional talent. He made good fighters look like sparring sessions. Canelo isn't taking half the risk Floyd did. Floyd at Canelo's age moved up in weight and was seeking competition to try to become the top draw. Golden boy is milking their cash cow by taking nothing but low risk fights because they can.......................
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

I never had much of an issue with the things Floyd did. The things people shit on him about like Canelo weighing in at 152 for their fight...well you can thank Canelo and his people for that one. Canelo and them said they'd come down in weight to fight Floyd so Floyd took 'em up on their offer. That's on Canelo, not Floyd.
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

gilgamesh wrote:I never had much of an issue with the things Floyd did. The things people shit on him about like Canelo weighing in at 152 for their fight...well you can thank Canelo and his people for that one. Canelo and them said they'd come down in weight to fight Floyd so Floyd took 'em up on their offer. That's on Canelo, not Floyd.
That was a case of being careful what you wish for. Canelo was younger so the weight shouldn't have been an issue if he was taking care of himself. If he struggled to get down to what he contractually agreed to it's his own fault...................
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

gilgamesh wrote:I never had much of an issue with the things Floyd did. The things people shit on him about like Canelo weighing in at 152 for their fight...well you can thank Canelo and his people for that one. Canelo and them said they'd come down in weight to fight Floyd so Floyd took 'em up on their offer. That's on Canelo, not Floyd.
No, it's on Floyd. Canelo was a kid when he made the offer.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/bo ... t/2802237/

After Floyd fought Oscar (his greatest achievement, imo) he became a totally different fighter.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Cagiva9 wrote:

After Floyd fought Oscar (his greatest achievement, imo) he became a totally different fighter.
Canelo was a kid when they fought the fight. He made the offer. Floyd called him on it. If he didn't like fighting at a disadvantage he shouldn't have volunteered himself to do so.
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

Cagiva9 wrote:

Canelo signed the contract, it's his own fault. If he didn't negotiate that part of the contract in his favor it's on him................
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

gotiye wrote:
Cagiva9 wrote:

Canelo signed the contract, it's his own fault. If he didn't negotiate that part of the contract in his favor it's on him................
Negotiate? Negotiate with what?
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

Cagiva9 wrote:["]
Cagiva9 wrote:

Negotiate? Negotiate with what?[/quote]
Canelo could have negotiated the weight. He gave Floyd what Floyd wanted with the split, the venue, the ring, the gloves etc......just because you're offered something doesn't force you to take it. Outside of the pacquiao fight that was a huge fight financially because both guys are draws. If you're a big draw, you have room to say no to some things.................
It all depends on what you're willing give up in return..................
chef97

Post by chef97 »

I have to insert the word "early" before your comment of [many of his fights.. I personally look down on Floyd not because of his defensive brilliance but in spite of it......... To me, Floyd never took on the most capable challengers in his/their prime..... The last half of his career FMJ was a cherry picker plain and simple in my book.....
Chef
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

gotiye wrote: Canelo could have negotiated the weight. He gave Floyd what Floyd wanted with the split, the venue, the ring, the gloves etc......just because you're offered something doesn't force you to take it. Outside of the pacquiao fight that was a huge fight financially because both guys are draws. If you're a big draw, you have room to say no to some things.................
when the (fight) negotiations started, they wanted me to go to 147. I said that's physically impossible. I couldn't do it. Then they inched up to 150. I said I can't do it, that's impossible. Those days are over. I can't make that weight anymore, I've grown.

"Then they went up to 151. And then finally, so we could make the fight, I said, 'If anything, I'll give up two pounds. I'll go up to 152. I agreed to that. Then they tried to force me to be quiet and not to mention anything that they came up with the weight of 152

I think he did all he could do short of walking, not really an option.
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

Cagiva9 wrote:
gotiye wrote: Canelo could have negotiated the weight. He gave Floyd what Floyd wanted with the split, the venue, the ring, the gloves etc......just because you're offered something doesn't force you to take it. Outside of the pacquiao fight that was a huge fight financially because both guys are draws. If you're a big draw, you have room to say no to some things.................
when the (fight) negotiations started, they wanted me to go to 147. I said that's physically impossible. I couldn't do it. Then they inched up to 150. I said I can't do it, that's impossible. Those days are over. I can't make that weight anymore, I've grown.

"Then they went up to 151. And then finally, so we could make the fight, I said, 'If anything, I'll give up two pounds. I'll go up to 152. I agreed to that. Then they tried to force me to be quiet and not to mention anything that they came up with the weight of 152

I think he did all he could do short of walking, not really an option.
And he still signed the contract. It's on him, you always have options of you're a draw. He could have held out if wanted to because it was still a huge fight. He chose to give Floyd leverage because he thought he could win....................
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

chef97 wrote:I have to insert the word "early" before your comment of [many of his fights.. I personally look down on Floyd not because of his defensive brilliance but in spite of it......... To me, Floyd never took on the most capable challengers in his/their prime..... The last half of his career FMJ was a cherry picker plain and simple in my book.....
Name the fighters he avoided in their prime you wanted to see him fight?................
He moved up in weight and fought bigger fighters, many who were younger than him...................
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Pacquiao! That was an easy one :D
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

Cagiva9 wrote:Pacquiao! That was an easy one :D
That wasn't all Floyd. Pacquiao and arum were the problem as well.................
If Pacquiao agreed to random testing that fight happens in 2012..................
chef97

Post by chef97 »

gotiye wrote:
chef97 wrote:I have to insert the word "early" before your comment of [many of his fights.. I personally look down on Floyd not because of his defensive brilliance but in spite of it......... To me, Floyd never took on the most capable challengers in his/their prime..... The last half of his career FMJ was a cherry picker plain and simple in my book.....
Name the fighters he avoided in their prime you wanted to see him fight?................
He moved up in weight and fought bigger fighters, many who were younger than him...................
We've been down this road before my bro but back in...

2005: FMJ was already a welterweight and he should/could have fought capable challengers and higly regarded at the time: Paul Williams or Antonio Margarito but Floyd chose to starve Henry Bruseles? Who? and make the kid take the fight at 140... The great FMJ then extended himself by taking on a "shop worn" and way past it guy w/ 6 losses the late great Arturo Gatti but that fight was at 147.... Even though Gatti's best work was at 135 maybe 140.... Would you like me to continue old friend? Because thanks to Floyd's caca I've got plenty of juice on the self proclaimed TBE boxer......
Chef
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

chef97 wrote:
gotiye wrote:

2005: FMJ was already a welterweight and he should/could have fought capable challengers and higly regarded at the time: Paul Williams or Antonio Margarito but Floyd chose to starve Henry Bruseles? Who? and make the kid take the fight at 140... The great FMJ then extended himself by taking on a "shop worn" and way past it guy w/ 6 losses the late great Arturo Gatti but that fight was at 147.... Even though Gatti's best work was at 135 maybe 140.... Would you like me to continue old friend? Because thanks to Floyd's caca I've got plenty of juice on the self proclaimed TBE boxer......
Brusales was a tune up fight for a good payday against gatti. It was bigger money on a bigger stage than what either Williams or margarito brought at the time. It got him more exposure to a casual audience. Not a bad move on his part IMO.....................
After that he fought two good fighters in sharmba Mitchell and zab Judah to line him up for Oscar...................
Floyd ended up getting the biggest fight in the sport at the time which was his goal....................
WillieB59

Post by WillieB59 »

chef97 wrote:
gotiye wrote:

Mayweather moved up to the welterweight division after beating Bruseles and Gatti at 140. He beat Bruseles, who was ranked at 140 by a number of the alphabet groups, in a WBC super lightweight title eliminator and Gatti for Gatti's WBC world super lightweight title.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

chef97 wrote:
gotiye wrote:

Floyd fought Gatti at 140 pounds. He won the WBC 140 Pound Championship off of Gatti. He didn't go up to Welterweight until 2006 I think, maybe late 2005 after fighting Gatti. His first fight as a Welterweight I believe was Sharmba Mitchell.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Floyd fought fat, aged Sharmba at welter.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Sharmba never got back to a notable position in the sport after the Tszyu rematch.
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:Floyd fought fat, aged Sharmba at welter.
Sharmba had good moments early against Floyd before Floyd started to break him down to the body. Sharmba wasn't completely past his prime at that point but the rematch with kostya took something out of him....................
It sharmba had better management he could have a top tier fighter.................
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

gotiye wrote:
NoPropaganda 253 wrote:Floyd fought fat, aged Sharmba at welter.
Sharmba had good moments early against Floyd before Floyd started to break him down to the body. Sharmba wasn't completely past his prime at that point but the rematch with kostya took something out of him....................
It sharmba had better management he could have a top tier fighter.................
True. If I recall correctly Sharmba tried to get that fight with Floyd when he was at 140 to no avail. He tried to work but looked slower, with less of a tank than at 140. As stated Kosta did some damage as well.
DSuperman25

Post by DSuperman25 »

I thought this was a joke when I saw this on Twitter yesterday. Its still a joke even though I know this story is real. Canelo, ODL, HBO, all working together to save face in the media and among the fans. This is literally non-news. GGG has the belt, and fans know the truth about Canelo and Goldenboy. Nelo won;t make nearly the amount of money that ODL and Golden Boy think he will in these showcase fights.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”