The Big Green Egg Grill

Food & beverages Discussions
hardcorebee24

The Big Green Egg Grill

Post by hardcorebee24 »

http://www.biggreenegg.com/

Anyone got one of these? They're expensive. I was wondering if they're any good.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
CageyVeteran

Re: The Big Green Egg Grill

Post by CageyVeteran »

I've heard they cook great but you can't put a whole lot of meat on there. Trade offs.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

stenchasaurous wrote:What's supposed to be the advantage over a traditional smoker?
I don't know. It works as a grill too. It's ceramic. Was actually wondering what the advantages are.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

The ceramic and some other insulation keeps it warm on the inside so you can cook in damn near any condition.

Regular grills you buy from grocery stores or Walmart are steel drum or something like. No insulation, they'll rust out eventually, and slight warping.

The big green egg won't do all that.

Also if anyone has seen bbq cooking show like BBQ Pitmasters, a lot of those guys have a big green egg as back up. They also have those huge pits but they're nothing like generic brand, they're insulated, air flow, water pumps. Heard some cost a $1,000 or more. I like my ribs but I aint spending over $100 for a grill.
Last edited by CageyVeteran on Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

stenchasaurous wrote:
Yeah, most smokers do too. I know Bill Burr talks about having one on his podcast and seems to like it, but from his description it's not like a real smoker in that you don't have a separate smoke box preventing direct heat, so it sounds like it's tricky to keep at just the right low level burn when smoking with it, whereas with a separate smoke box you can really fire it up and run a lot of smoke through there without burning the meat to shit.

I think with the big green egg there's a plate or something in the middle so you don't directly cook the meat, the smoke/heat from the fire moves around the plate and that's how it smokes. you ever had Franklin BBQ? He has a show on PBS BBQ with Franklin, heard he sells out of food by noon sometimes. He just uses big ass propane tanks that ppl throw away, according to that one episode he has.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

stenchasaurous wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
stenchasaurous wrote:What's supposed to be the advantage over a traditional smoker?
I don't know. It works as a grill too. It's ceramic. Was actually wondering what the advantages are.
Yeah, most smokers do too. I know Bill Burr talks about having one on his podcast and seems to like it, but from his description it's not like a real smoker in that you don't have a separate smoke box preventing direct heat, so it sounds like it's tricky to keep at just the right low level burn when smoking with it, whereas with a separate smoke box you can really fire it up and run a lot of smoke through there without burning the meat to shit.
Ha!!!! Bill Burr's podcast is where I heard about it!!!! Lmao!!! LAY-DEEEE!!! Ya Freckled Cunt!!! GO FUCK YASELF!!!!! You see his pie crust video??

Well, I think I'll just get a smoker. See how it works this year. Tried it in my weber propane grill and it wasn't that good. Very sooty sort of taste. You use a smoker?
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

stenchasaurous wrote: Actually never had it, the line is ridiculous. My sister-in-law does some shit where you call at like midnight or something and can place an order for pickup later. Most people I talk to who are actually from here originally and have had it say it's really good but not any better than the top places in Lockhart, Taylor etc., and while you have to drive a bit, you don't have to wait in a ridiculous line with a bunch of shitbird hipsters who'd convince themselves dog turds tasted good if food media told them it was and that the dogs had been fed exclusively on poached pig anus or something.

I figured it wasn't any thing special. Lol, heard Austin been getting weirder didn't think that would be possible. I figured their food be good but not worth standing in like all day when you can get decent food else where. Guess Rudy's and the few places in San Antonio that are ok is what I'll be doing if I ever want to spend money on bbq.
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

stenchasaurous wrote:
That's hilarious. Haven't seen the pie crust video yet but it came up on my Facebook feed. Got to see him live here not too long ago actually. I just have a propane grill these days. Fucking wife bought it for me years ago as a surprise present that I had to act excited about when I was really thinking in my head that she could have saved $200 and gotten me something I actually wanted if she'd just asked. I didn't have the heart to tell her after she told me how long she'd researched what the best one was and yadda, yadda, yadda. Have a buddy with a smoker and I just go over to his place pretty often and we grill, play darts, drink beer, etc. whenever we feel like making stuff.

Did you ever watch King of the Hill while she was researching grills? Taste the meat not the heat.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

stenchasaurous wrote: That's hilarious. Haven't seen the pie crust video yet but it came up on my Facebook feed. Got to see him live here not too long ago actually. I just have a propane grill these days. Fucking wife bought it for me years ago as a surprise present that I had to act excited about when I was really thinking in my head that she could have saved $200 and gotten me something I actually wanted if she'd just asked. I didn't have the heart to tell her after she told me how long she'd researched what the best one was and yadda, yadda, yadda. Have a buddy with a smoker and I just go over to his place pretty often and we grill, play darts, drink beer, etc. whenever we feel like making stuff.
I like my propane grill. No fuss no muss and it was free. It's a Weber Genesis series. Previous owner said it was broken. All I had to do was change the regulator and clean it up a bit and it's been great for 3 years. I get a ton of free shit since I moved out to the burbs. Lawn mower (spark plug), leaf blower (the guy didn't know how to prime it), hedge trimmer (throw in with some other shit I bought), two sick sets of patio furniture (friends got new ones as gifts no use for "old" ones). Do you prefer charcoal?
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

hardcorebee24 wrote: I like my propane grill. No fuss no muss and it was free. It's a Weber Genesis series. Previous owner said it was broken. All I had to do was change the regulator and clean it up a bit and it's been great for 3 years. I get a ton of free shit since I moved out to the burbs. Lawn mower (spark plug), leaf blower (the guy didn't know how to prime it), hedge trimmer (throw in with some other shit I bought), two sick sets of patio furniture (friends got new ones as gifts no use for "old" ones). Do you prefer charcoal?
Wow! You got all that stuff for free cuz people don't know how to fix, especially not knowing how to prime it! Lucky duck.

I know it was a hoax back in the day but I'm scared of propane, one of those cancelled news shows had a show of them exploding. The prep work for charcoal is a bit of chore, but you can just buy a bag , and fluid if you want and that's it. Isn't propane a little more involved than that?
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

CageyVeteran wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote: I like my propane grill. No fuss no muss and it was free. It's a Weber Genesis series. Previous owner said it was broken. All I had to do was change the regulator and clean it up a bit and it's been great for 3 years. I get a ton of free shit since I moved out to the burbs. Lawn mower (spark plug), leaf blower (the guy didn't know how to prime it), hedge trimmer (throw in with some other shit I bought), two sick sets of patio furniture (friends got new ones as gifts no use for "old" ones). Do you prefer charcoal?
Wow! You got all that stuff for free cuz people don't know how to fix, especially not knowing how to prime it! Lucky duck.

I know it was a hoax back in the day but I'm scared of propane, one of those cancelled news shows had a show of them exploding. The prep work for charcoal is a bit of chore, but you can just buy a bag , and fluid if you want and that's it. Isn't propane a little more involved than that?
Lol, you turn the nozzle on the tank then turn the burner on and push the ingiter. Make sure the grill is open. Once the burners are lit and the grills are hot you're ready to go.

People are stupid. Straight up. I figured if any of that shit didn't work I could take it to the junk man and get the scrap money for it.
WhyteHypeBG
TTR Suppl. Challenge #10 Super Champion
TTR Suppl. Challenge #10 Super Champion

Post by WhyteHypeBG »

stenchasaurous wrote:...I prefer ...wood.
No surprise there.

Don't forget that Scrotes Day is April 30th!
Sing All Day, Drink and Sing All Night!
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

stenchasaurous wrote: Propane's definitely convenient, but yeah, I prefer charcoal or wood.
Gotcha.
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

stenchasaurous wrote:
Gotta be somewhere near you better than Rudy's LOL

Only good things about Rudy's is brisket and sometimes turkey, everything else is dry. There's this one place I don't even know the name it just says BBQ outside, it's pretty good.
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

hardcorebee24 wrote: People are stupid. Straight up. I figured if any of that shit didn't work I could take it to the junk man and get the scrap money for it.

Are those places easy to get to in New York? In my town there's only one place I know of that'll take almost anything and it's far. Everywhere else you gotta strip cuz they only want one particular metal and you gotta discard the rest yourself.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

CageyVeteran wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote: People are stupid. Straight up. I figured if any of that shit didn't work I could take it to the junk man and get the scrap money for it.

Are those places easy to get to in New York? In my town there's only one place I know of that'll take almost anything and it's far. Everywhere else you gotta strip cuz they only want one particular metal and you gotta discard the rest yourself.
Yeah, theyll give you more money if you strip it yourself but my cousin is a mechanic and the guy he has gives me a good rate and takes multiple types of metals. I'm not talking a lot of dough but if it's free or near free, what do I have to lose?
chef97

Post by chef97 »

The Big Green Egg Grill

Sounds like a very cool culinary endeavor..... 8)
Chef
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

I should cut back on bbq, it's not like I eat it that often. Just once every few months, but during special times I eat it a lot.

I almost bought a big green egg, but the price and the space to actually cook didn't seem like a good buy.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Would this be considered cheating by "real" barbecue enthusiasts?
http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20072 ... ric+smoker

wimpy

Post by wimpy »

The Traeger pellet grills are popular here. Owners swear by them. Too expensive for my blood.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

― Benjamin Franklin
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

Cagiva9 wrote:Would this be considered cheating by "real" barbecue enthusiasts?
http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20072 ... ric+smoker

It's what I use and for 99% of people its the way to go.
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

Did you ever get this?

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”