Spadafora interview about PBF sparring session

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
LORD

Spadafora interview about PBF sparring session

Post by LORD »

Let me know

Re: Spadafora interview about PBF sparring session

Post by RimmyJice »

regulardude wrote:I can't stand listening to/reading Spaddy talk. His affect is off-putting.
Not surprisingly, he's also very, very dumb.
LORD

Post by LORD »

I like his honesty about sparring in general. W/ so much made out of the Floyd session, it was interesting to hear his position on it all.
Let me know

Post by LORD »

regulardude wrote:
LORD wrote:I like his honesty about sparring in general. W/ so much made out of the Floyd session, it was interesting to hear his position on it all.
Oh, I don't have a problem with the substance (for the most part) of what he said here. Sparring is sparring, not a big deal, etc. I'm cool with that.

I just don't like him. :lol:

Oh I know and we've had this convo before about the fighter versus the person. There are things about fighters and/or ppl that bother you that don't bother me as much and vice-versa. I can dig it.

As for Spadafora the fighter, I've always liked his subtle style of defense. It's slippery but not obvious. He's a good fighter IMO. And then definitely being able to get his insight and opinion of that particular session is something I've always been curious about.
Let me know

Post by LORD »

regulardude wrote:
LORD wrote: Oh I know and we've had this convo before about the fighter versus the person. There are things about fighters and/or ppl that bother you that don't bother me as much and vice-versa. I can dig it.

As for Spadafora the fighter, I've always liked his subtle style of defense. It's slippery but not obvious. He's a good fighter IMO. And then definitely being able to get his insight and opinion of that particular session is something I've always been curious about.
Outside the sparring session against Floyd and the controversial draw with what's-his-name, I don't know that I've really seen Spaddy ply his trade. Any particular fight I should watch?

It's been such a long time since his career was significant. He's done himself such a disservice being a drunken, sniffed out toolbag that I need to go back my damned self. I remember him having nice little subtle steps w/ his footwork, being able to turn his man etc and his head movement/bending at the waist was good but again, kinda subtle. I'll do some homework w/ you here sir.
Let me know

Donator & Superfights Challenge #2, 4 & 7 Champion

Post by mekane »

Pacquiao's going to stay busy. Bop, bop, bop, bop, bop, bop, bop. It's like, damn, he needs to chill the fuck out. I'm trying to put him on the pimp game and relax him, and he's going to be bop, bop, bop, bop
Supreme Overlord

Post by Supreme Overlord »

Spaddy has nothing for Manny or FMJ he's a weenie w/ no power on his punches....
mekane

Post by mekane »

Supreme Overlord wrote:Spaddy has nothing for Manny or FMJ he's a weenie w/ no power on his punches....
you don't need power to beat someone. he fucked floyd up in that sparring session without power.
pimparoni32

Post by pimparoni32 »

Spaddy is nothing. Smaller fighters have gotten the best of Floyd in sparring when they are in fight shape and when he's in gym shape. Eric Morales got to him one time, but you don't hear Morales bragging about his sparring session with Floyd. Morales built his legend under the lights where it matters. Spaddy's a bitch.
"Being alive's a crock of $hit" Kilgore Trout
LORD

Post by LORD »

pimparoni32 wrote:Spaddy is nothing. Smaller fighters have gotten the best of Floyd in sparring when they are in fight shape and when he's in gym shape. Eric Morales got to him one time, but you don't hear Morales bragging about his sparring session with Floyd. Morales built his legend under the lights where it matters. Spaddy's a bitch.

To Spadafora's defense, he basically said in the interview that a sparring session doesn't really mean anything and that he's had young cats coming up that have far less experience do some things on a given day. I think of Amir Khan sparring w/ Manny a lot in reference to this kinda thing. Khan would get beheaded w/ the small gloves and no headgear.
Let me know

Administrator

Post by David »

mekane wrote:
Supreme Overlord wrote:Spaddy has nothing for Manny or FMJ he's a weenie w/ no power on his punches....
you don't need power to beat someone. he fucked floyd up in that sparring session without power.
Did you actually watch the video? Someone reposted it last week and there was no "fucking up" happening on either side. In fact, it was pretty even with no serious hits happening and quite a bit of posturing.

But Overlord is right, Floyd and Manny would both destroy him within a few rounds whether it is today or 10 years ago. Spadafora isn't at the top of the sport for a reason. Check that, several reason including his lack of ability to get to the top.
mekane

Post by mekane »

David wrote:
mekane wrote:
Did you actually watch the video? Someone reposted it last week and there was no "fucking up" happening on either side. In fact, it was pretty even with no serious hits happening and quite a bit of posturing.

But Overlord is right, Floyd and Manny would both destroy him within a few rounds whether it is today or 10 years ago. Spadafora isn't at the top of the sport for a reason. Check that, several reason including his lack of ability to get to the top.
I have seen the video many times. Spaddy dominated him, but I agree it doesn't mean a whole lot. I do disagree with the idea that Spadafora can't beat Mayweather in a real fight because he doesn't have power. Only casual fans think you have to have power to win in boxing. We should be beyond that here.

I disagree that Mayweather would destroy him in a few rounds. In fact Spadafora could be a very tough fight for Mayweather given his southpaw stance, defense, and ability to work angles and combinations inside.
Erison

Post by Erison »

Spadafora hasn't beaten a real opponent in over ten years, and even before that it's iffy.
Done posting. RIP TTR.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

mekane wrote:
David wrote:
mekane wrote:you don't need power to beat someone. he fucked floyd up in that sparring session without power.

I have seen the video many times. Spaddy dominated him, but I agree it doesn't mean a whole lot. I do disagree with the idea that Spadafora can't beat Mayweather in a real fight because he doesn't have power. Only casual fans think you have to have power to win in boxing. We should be beyond that here.

I disagree that Mayweather would destroy him in a few rounds. In fact Spadafora could be a very tough fight for Mayweather given his southpaw stance, defense, and ability to work angles and combinations inside.
You just confirmed that you have never seen the video footage of the sparring session. Thank you.
mekane

Post by mekane »

David wrote:
You just confirmed that you have never seen the video footage of the sparring session. Thank you.

ive seen it like 10 times dude.
mekane

Post by mekane »

regulardude wrote:
mekane wrote:he fucked floyd up in that sparring session.
You don't know what you're talking about.
Proof you haven't seen the sparring session. Thank you.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”