FIGHTS that should have happened and did not

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Top Buzz
TTR Contributor

Post by Top Buzz »

Because I was a big fan of the super middles mine would be something like this:

Eubank vs Toney
Benn vs Toney
Watson vs Toney
Eubank vs RJJ
Benn vs RJJ
Watson vs RJJ
Eubank vs Hop
Benn vs Hop
Watson vs Hop
Calzaghe vs Hop (the original fight)
Calzaghe vs RJJ
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

We can basically say that Ike Ibeabuchi versus everybody but Chris Byrd we wanted to see. And those fights should have happened. Who knows what would have happened in his career? I mean, the only other name on his resume is David Tua, and I'm not sure how many people really wanted to see Tua after a while - but he would have made a great match up against pretty much any heavyweight out there if he were a free man.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

bigstave007 wrote:
straycat wrote:Would'nt of mattered when Tyson fought Evander. The Real Deal had his number and Tyson knew it.
always a possibility. I think tyson was a little different when he came out. I think it would have been a different fight before hand, just my opinion.
No doubt going to prison changed Mike Tyson. But he was un willing to fight Evander who was the #1 IBF, WBA, & WBC contender the last 18 mo of Mikes first reign. After signing to fight Douglas Duva went to court and a month later Tyson was ordered to fight Holy or be stripped of his titles.
Thats the way I remember it happening.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

KSTAT124 wrote:
RASTA666 wrote:I think all of these could have been made time line wise and many of them bantered about quite a bit.

Sweet Pea/Pryor
Arguello/Sanchez
Foreman/Holmes
Tito/Quartey
Jones/ Leonard
Bowe/Foreman
Spinks/Holy
Hop/Toney
Nunn/Hopkins
Benn/Jones
Eubank/Jones
Ike/Lewis
Sweet Pea/Taylor
Marciano/Liston
Commacho/Mancini
Good list with a few exceptions.

Whitaker-Pryor- Pryor made his last defense of the IBF junior welterweight title in March of 1985 then slipped into a period of drug-related inactivity. When he came back as a welterweight in 1987, he was beaten by Bobby Joe Young.

Whitaker turned pro in late 1984. By March 1985, he only had 3 pro bouts under his belt. He didn't fight for a world title until 1988 when he lost a controversial decision to then WBC champion Jose Luis Ramirez.

Jones-Leonard- Jones turned pro in 1989. Leonard fought his rematch with Hearns and his 3rd bout with Duran that year. He retired again but came back in 1991 and lost a one-sided decision to Terry Norris. Again, he retired and again he came back for one fight in 1997, losing to Hector Camacho. It was too early for a Jones-Leonard fight in 1989 and even in 1991. By 1997, only a sadist would have wanted to see Leonard in with Jones.

Camacho- Mancini did take place but as the inaugural WBO junior welterweight title bout. A lightweight bout between the two about five or so years earlier would have been fitting.

Marciano-Liston- Marciano retired in 1956. Liston didn't break into the top ten until 1958 and didn't become the no. 1 contender until 1960.

A Marciano-Nino Valdes bout should have been taken place during the 21 months Valdes was the no. 1 contender. Marciano probably would have won but Valdes, who had beaten Charles before Charles got his two shots at Marciano, deserved a title bout.

All I am saying is that they could have been made.

Liston/Marc in 55
Pryor/Pea over a several year period.
Macho.Boom Boom in 84
Jones/Leonard I did not base that on Leonards retirement schedule.

Stave also got me thinking....Tyson/Holy in 91
bigstave007

Post by bigstave007 »

straycat wrote:
bigstave007 wrote:
straycat wrote:Would'nt of mattered when Tyson fought Evander. The Real Deal had his number and Tyson knew it.
always a possibility. I think tyson was a little different when he came out. I think it would have been a different fight before hand, just my opinion.
No doubt going to prison changed Mike Tyson. But he was un willing to fight Evander who was the #1 IBF, WBA, & WBC contender the last 18 mo of Mikes first reign. After signing to fight Douglas Duva went to court and a month later Tyson was ordered to fight Holy or be stripped of his titles.
Thats the way I remember it happening.
I thought they had tyson vs holly scheduled back in the early 90's but one of them had to pull out because of an injury? I may be wrong on that brother, might have to ask someone like Kstat if they have anymore info.

On that note, holy vs ike is another one.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Stave:
They were scheduled to fight but Buster derailed that when he beat Mike. Buster then went on to loose to Evander.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
boxingfreak

Post by boxingfreak »

bigstave007 wrote:frazier vs norton my all time favorite

tyson not going to prison and fighting-holy-ike-moorer-bowe-tua-foreman
foreman-holmes
interesting,
but personally I feel that Frazier would've destroyed Norton.
Kenny had his problems w/ "big bangers" (Shavers; Foreman; and Cooney). he fared better vs "boxers (Ali; Quarry; and Jimmy Young).

Tyson DID fight Holmes before going to prison, bigstave. :wink:
"like rappers with cotton-mouth, I'm hard to swallow, but I'm nice with Mikes (mics) like Cus Damato!"-Method Man
Klobs

Post by Klobs »

We were robbed of Ruiz/Holyfield IV. We'll never know who the better man was.
tainos
TTR Super Challenge 7 & Regular Challenge 20 & 22 Champion
TTR Super Challenge 7 & Regular Challenge 20 & 22 Champion

Post by tainos »

PBF/KT at 140
Yo naci en Puerto Rico. Pero me cree en Nueva York. Pero nunca me olvidare, de mi tierra Borinquena.
Team Platano Power - Carribean Connection
Papa1472002

Post by Papa1472002 »

Klobs wrote:We were robbed of Ruiz/Holyfield IV. We'll never know who the better man was.
RuiZZZZ won the first fight IMO
the13r
TTR

Re:

Post by the13r »

RASTA666 wrote: Thu May 22, 2008 8:39 am
KSTAT124 wrote:
RASTA666 wrote:I think all of these could have been made time line wise and many of them bantered about quite a bit.

Sweet Pea/Pryor
Arguello/Sanchez
Foreman/Holmes
Tito/Quartey
Jones/ Leonard
Bowe/Foreman
Spinks/Holy
Hop/Toney
Nunn/Hopkins
Benn/Jones
Eubank/Jones
Ike/Lewis
Sweet Pea/Taylor
Marciano/Liston
Commacho/Mancini
Good list with a few exceptions.

Whitaker-Pryor- Pryor made his last defense of the IBF junior welterweight title in March of 1985 then slipped into a period of drug-related inactivity. When he came back as a welterweight in 1987, he was beaten by Bobby Joe Young.

Whitaker turned pro in late 1984. By March 1985, he only had 3 pro bouts under his belt. He didn't fight for a world title until 1988 when he lost a controversial decision to then WBC champion Jose Luis Ramirez.

Jones-Leonard- Jones turned pro in 1989. Leonard fought his rematch with Hearns and his 3rd bout with Duran that year. He retired again but came back in 1991 and lost a one-sided decision to Terry Norris. Again, he retired and again he came back for one fight in 1997, losing to Hector Camacho. It was too early for a Jones-Leonard fight in 1989 and even in 1991. By 1997, only a sadist would have wanted to see Leonard in with Jones.

Camacho- Mancini did take place but as the inaugural WBO junior welterweight title bout. A lightweight bout between the two about five or so years earlier would have been fitting.

Marciano-Liston- Marciano retired in 1956. Liston didn't break into the top ten until 1958 and didn't become the no. 1 contender until 1960.

A Marciano-Nino Valdes bout should have been taken place during the 21 months Valdes was the no. 1 contender. Marciano probably would have won but Valdes, who had beaten Charles before Charles got his two shots at Marciano, deserved a title bout.

All I am saying is that they could have been made.

Liston/Marc in 55
Pryor/Pea over a several year period.
Macho.Boom Boom in 84
Jones/Leonard I did not base that on Leonards retirement schedule.

Stave also got me thinking....Tyson/Holy in 91
OTD 1989 (5Yrs too late)
Canvas

Re: FIGHTS that should have happened and did not

Post by Canvas »

The WBO in 1989 was a very lowly regarded title. It wasn't considered a legit world title.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Pavlik/Abe
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
straycat

Post by straycat »

In a few yrs Canyello/Benavidez
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”