Anyone Else Watching WNF?

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
scappoosejohn

Anyone Else Watching WNF?

Post by scappoosejohn »

It's all been four rounders but all have been good fights. Mickey Ward was working the corner of his nephew in the second fight and the third fight ended very impressively. So, what do you fellas think?
"A champion, a true champion is to take on all capable challengers. A true champion defends his title, and looks for matches that pose a threat in order to prove to the world he deserves to be called the best of the best."
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

i personaly ALWAYS enjoy 4 rounders!

this si a good card so far!
scappoosejohn

Post by scappoosejohn »

the13r wrote:i personaly ALWAYS enjoy 4 rounders!

this si a good card so far!
Yep. I enjoy watching these new, upcoming fighters. And with four rounders, you don't have that much time to work with so they usually come with guns blazing instead of pacing themselves.

Good fight card so far. I hope the main event will be, as well.
"A champion, a true champion is to take on all capable challengers. A true champion defends his title, and looks for matches that pose a threat in order to prove to the world he deserves to be called the best of the best."
scappoosejohn

Post by scappoosejohn »

Does Lopez look lethargic and slow to the rest of you? It just looks to me as if he lacks any spark.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

scappoosejohn wrote:Does Lopez look lethargic and slow to the rest of you? It just looks to me as if he lacks any spark.

well that lethargic and slow guy just won by KO LOL
Last edited by marciano1952 on Wed May 07, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
Pride Of Wales
TTR Contributor & Writer

Post by Pride Of Wales »

Is there a stream Astor?? :D :D

(I'm checking now :) )
"Иф ёу цан реад тхис ёуьлл кноw тхат ит исньт wортх реадинг"

scappoosejohn

Post by scappoosejohn »

Never mind. Lesson learned is never opine after one round. LOL

Oh well, I'm done posting to myself. I guess no one is interested in exchanging posts on weekday fights.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

my live source for the card was a stream and it got on and off

it plays here in 1 hour on tsn and ill stream it then !
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

btw i missed the 3rd round and im pissed :evil:
chuck9788

Post by chuck9788 »

scappoosejohn wrote:Does Lopez look lethargic and slow to the rest of you? It just looks to me as if he lacks any spark.
Well it looked like Lopez had plenty of spark behind that over hand left!

Can you say EXPOSED?!?!?!!!

Nothing is better than when a boxer scores a huge knockout victory in his opponents hometown. Lopez literally silenced the crowd.
Pride Of Wales
TTR Contributor & Writer

Post by Pride Of Wales »

the13r wrote:my live source for the card was a stræm and it got on and off

it plays here in 1 hour on tsn and ill stræm it then !
Okay cool thanks.
"Иф ёу цан реад тхис ёуьлл кноw тхат ит исньт wортх реадинг"

chuck9788

Post by chuck9788 »

Also, I thought the ref used a very slow count. Oliver got up after the nine count and the ref should have immediately waived the fight off. Thankfully he realized that Oliver was in no position to defend himself and wisely stopped the contest.

Was it me or did Oliver look like he argued with the ref after the stoppage?
KSTAT124
TTR Rankings & Results Editor

Post by KSTAT124 »

I don't know if you can say Oliver was exposed. He's fought and defeated better fighters than Lopez.

I think he was over-confident and was looking past Lopez.

What gets me- and this isn't just with Oliver and his management- is when a fighter is signed for an eliminator, it is essential that the fighter and his management know whether it's a final eliminator, an eliminator for the #2 spot in the ratings, or just an eliminator in general. To assume it is a final eliminator without confirmation is a dangerous thing to do.

Oliver fought Cruz Carvajal in an eliminator for the #2 spot in the IBF ratings. Later, Jose Arboleda was matched with Fernando Beltran, Jr. in an eliminator for the #1 spot in the ratings. Beltran upset Arboleda and became the IBF's mandatory challenger. Molitor then successfully defended his title against Beltran. Oliver wasn't overlooked or ducked. Instead of screaming that Oliver deserved a title shot, Oliver's management should have demanded a bout with Beltran with the winner getting Molitor. Beltran had been rated #15 when he fought the IBF #9 (but WBA #1) ranked Arboleda. Oliver's people could have gone to court, questioning the value of Oliver's #2 ranking if he couldn't fight the new #1 contender in a final eliminator. They didn't do that and now look at the mess Oliver's in.

Humberto Soto was upset when he wasn't made the WBC's #1 contender after he beat Ivan Valle in an eliminator. Manny Pacquiao was ranked #1 at the time. What Soto had failed to comprehend was that his bout with Valle wasn't a final eliminator. It was basically an eliminator to confirm Soto was the #2 contender (Valle was only rated #13 or so at the tiime) and to allow the WBC to collect a sanctioning fee.
KSTAT124

Post by KSTAT124 »

chuck9788 wrote:Also, I thought the ref used a very slow count. Oliver got up after the nine count and the ref should have immediately waived the fight off. Thankfully he realized that Oliver was in no position to defend himself and wisely stopped the contest.

Was it me or did Oliver look like he argued with the ref after the stoppage?
It looked like he did. Chalk that up to machismo. Oliver was in no shape to continue but he probably was not allowing himself to admit it.

It would have been terrible if the ref had allowed the fight to go on.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

i really liked the first fight, a 8 rounders, torres was lloking to catch atwone smith and was succesful without major consequences for smith, then role got reversed and BAM, torres the puncher gets KD
mekane
Donator & Superfights Challenge #2, 4 & 7 Champion
Donator & Superfights Challenge #2, 4 & 7 Champion

Post by mekane »

It bothered me that the announcing team kept saying it was timing that lead the slower man to knockout the faster Mike Oliver. It was more of a mistake from Oliver.
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

I missed the fights.
"My belt says the heavyweight champ of the world!"(Wilder)
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)
westtm
TTR Contributor

Post by westtm »

KSTAT124 wrote:I don't know if you can say Oliver was exposed. He's fought and defeated better fighters than Lopez.

I think he was over-confident and was looking past Lopez.

What gets me- and this isn't just with Oliver and his management- is when a fighter is signed for an eliminator, it is essential that the fighter and his management know whether it's a final eliminator, an eliminator for the #2 spot in the ratings, or just an eliminator in general. To assume it is a final eliminator without confirmation is a dangerous thing to do.

Oliver fought Cruz Carvajal in an eliminator for the #2 spot in the IBF ratings. Later, Jose Arboleda was matched with Fernando Beltran, Jr. in an eliminator for the #1 spot in the ratings. Beltran upset Arboleda and became the IBF's mandatory challenger. Molitor then successfully defended his title against Beltran. Oliver wasn't overlooked or ducked. Instead of screaming that Oliver deserved a title shot, Oliver's management should have demanded a bout with Beltran with the winner getting Molitor. Beltran had been rated #15 when he fought the IBF #9 (but WBA #1) ranked Arboleda. Oliver's people could have gone to court, questioning the value of Oliver's #2 ranking if he couldn't fight the new #1 contender in a final eliminator. They didn't do that and now look at the mess Oliver's in.

Humberto Soto was upset when he wasn't made the WBC's #1 contender after he beat Ivan Valle in an eliminator. Manny Pacquiao was ranked #1 at the time. What Soto had failed to comprehend was that his bout with Valle wasn't a final eliminator. It was basically an eliminator to confirm Soto was the #2 contender (Valle was only rated #13 or so at the tiime) and to allow the WBC to collect a sanctioning fee.
Interesting!
"If you love me, root for me. If you don't love me, you will soon be a fan."- Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”