OT: NBA thread

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
athenian

Re: OT: NBA thread

Post by athenian »

Lebron is really the mvp...Harden or Russ will likely get it. I think Kawhis only chance is if Spurs few #1 seed. He should be a contender for it though since he does so much on both ends.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

athenian wrote:Lebron is really the mvp...Harden or Russ will likely get it. I think Kawhis only chance is if Spurs few #1 seed. He should be a contender for it though since he does so much on both ends.
I agree with that. LeBron should likely be the MVP every year but it will never happen. Just look at what his team does when he is playing compared to when he is not playing. They are 4-19 or 4-20 since the start of the 2014-2015 season when he isn't playing. It doesn't get much worse than that.

With that said, I don't have a problem with Westbrook or Harden getting it. I would favor Westbrook over Harden but have no qualms with either of them getting it. Kawhi probably isn't quite there yet but give it a year or two of more growth and he will be nearly undeniable.
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

David wrote:
athenian wrote:Lebron is really the mvp...Harden or Russ will likely get it. I think Kawhis only chance is if Spurs few #1 seed. He should be a contender for it though since he does so much on both ends.
I agree with that. LeBron should likely be the MVP every year but it will never happen. Just look at what his team does when he is playing compared to when he is not playing. They are 4-19 or 4-20 since the start of the 2014-2015 season when he isn't playing. It doesn't get much worse than that.

With that said, I don't have a problem with Westbrook or Harden getting it. I would favor Westbrook over Harden but have no qualms with either of them getting it. Kawhi probably isn't quite there yet but give it a year or two of more growth and he will be nearly undeniable.
I do agree with the Lebron sentiment as well just like Jordan deserved it more times than the 5 times he won it. That is why lebron is firmly at #2 for me. If not number 1, everyone else is fighting for #3 lol.

I am not sure why Kwahi gets no love really. He does have a better team and that is why the Spurs have better records than the Rockets or Thunder, but as an individual player, he is playing at an MVP level.

Kwahi might not score or assist as much as Harden or Russell, but as an offensive player, his rating are near the top. Kwahi's PER is near the top of the NBA, his True Shooting percentage is close to Harden's and much higher than Russell. Kwahi's 3 fg% is higher than either player. His offensive Win shares is close to the top with Harden and offensive win shares per 48 minutes is highest in the league. On top of the offensive ability, his perimeter defense is elite and much much better than Harden and better than Russell. IMO, he is there now. This is an MVP campaign and in the same style the way Tim Duncan won his over the likes of Shaq back in the early 2000s.
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

Westbrook goes for 58 in a loss. I don't know if he just needs a suitable second fiddle or another superstar. It'd be nice if he had some help on the perimeter, Adams and Kanter are doing enough, it's the rest, when Russel sits out they're screwed.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Danielk015 wrote:
David wrote:

I do agree with the Lebron sentiment as well just like Jordan deserved it more times than the 5 times he won it. That is why lebron is firmly at #2 for me. If not number 1, everyone else is fighting for #3 lol.

I am not sure why Kwahi gets no love really. He does have a better team and that is why the Spurs have better records than the Rockets or Thunder, but as an individual player, he is playing at an MVP level.

Kwahi might not score or assist as much as Harden or Russell, but as an offensive player, his rating are near the top. Kwahi's PER is near the top of the NBA, his True Shooting percentage is close to Harden's and much higher than Russell. Kwahi's 3 fg% is higher than either player. His offensive Win shares is close to the top with Harden and offensive win shares per 48 minutes is highest in the league. On top of the offensive ability, his perimeter defense is elite and much much better than Harden and better than Russell. IMO, he is there now. This is an MVP campaign and in the same style the way Tim Duncan won his over the likes of Shaq back in the early 2000s.
You have Lebron as #2 all time?
athenian

Post by athenian »

Interesting thing I learned today...years back, Bill Russell won MVP, meanwhile, Wilt averaged 50 and 25 that year, and that was the year Oscar average a triple double. Voting has changed, and things have changed with the game, but shows that there is a value on the team with the best record like the Celtics did. But, things change so who knows. Going to be a strong case for several people. Still time left in the season too.

This is a great year for the NBA...I wish the east was more competitive, but at least the 2-5 seeds are interesting.
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

ObJuan13 wrote: You have Lebron as #2 all time?
Re-reading what I wrote I can see why you thought that. But no, I don't have Lebron #2. I meant for this years MVP voting, although there is an argument to be made that Lebron should be MVP, and it is a strong one, he just sits firmly at #2 as he has some of the MJ syndrome going on. "We can not give it to to the same player every year even though he is the MVP every year".
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

athenian wrote:
This is a great year for the NBA...I wish the east was more competitive, but at least the 2-5 seeds are interesting.
only if Horford was the all star version. celtics could have been pretty competitive verses the Cavs. Even the Raptors. If they had IBaka of a few years back. But unfortunately, they are no hopers.
Wheezy

Post by Wheezy »

athenian wrote:Interesting thing I learned today...years back, Bill Russell won MVP, meanwhile, Wilt averaged 50 and 25 that year, and that was the year Oscar average a triple double. Voting has changed, and things have changed with the game, but shows that there is a value on the team with the best record like the Celtics did. But, things change so who knows. Going to be a strong case for several people. Still time left in the season too.

lol thats gotta be the craziest year of bball. a historic season by two legends, only to be usurped by another legend who played both sides of the court.

MVP is a tough award to give out because the definition varies depending on who you ask. Some consider it the "best player on the best team" while others claim it's the "best all around player currently" and some even vote "the best statistical season offensively."

Personally, it's hard not to reward russell who is averaging a triple double and while others have a claim, he's taken it to another level. He's far from perfect and I don't think he's the best player in the world but I also can't ignore other "greats" have never accomplished such a feat.

For MVP: Westbrook, Harden, Kawhi, Lebron, Thomas.
Best players in the NBA: Lebron, Durant, Kawhi, Westbrook Harden, Curry

Guys get more credit for playing on less talented teams and putting up monster stats which is why this year the race has come down to Harden vs Westbrook.
as promised, no more voodoo manny mom
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

I saw something about they want to do away with Rookie of the Year this year. I talked to my brother in law about and he said because Embiid is hurt. I know it was a joke story but can Embiid still get ROY even if he's hurt?

I'm not too much of Spurs fan but now they have Kawahi and Aldridge I'm coming around. I still don't like Popovich.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Danielk015 wrote:I do agree with the Lebron sentiment as well just like Jordan deserved it more times than the 5 times he won it. That is why lebron is firmly at #2 for me. If not number 1, everyone else is fighting for #3 lol.

I have often wondered the same thing and the only thing I can come up with is because Kawhi hasn't been around as long. I know that is stupid criteria but Derrick Rose winning the MVP so young was an exception. It seems like some players have to take logical steps of dominance rather than winning after 2-3 years of being awesome. I don't agree with it but it just seems that the fact that Kawhi hasn't been around as long is hurting him. I wouldn't mind at all if he, Harden, Westbrook, or LeBron won it this year at this point.
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

CageyVeteran wrote:I saw something about they want to do away with Rookie of the Year this year. I talked to my brother in law about and he said because Embiid is hurt. I know it was a joke story but can Embiid still get ROY even if he's hurt?

I'm not too much of Spurs fan but now they have Kawahi and Aldridge I'm coming around. I still don't like Popovich.

damn and Pop went to AF Academy, brutal

I dislike Popovich as well, but that's because I'm a Lakers fan.
soonermark890

Post by soonermark890 »

Russ is the MVP. No lebron doesn't deserve it, stop with that he's not the best player in the NBA anymore. Leonard, Durant, Russ, and harden are all better at this point in their careers than lebron. Smh
FUCK LAWRENCE COLE
FUCK VIC DRAKULICH
FUCK KENNY BAYLESS
FUCK DANA WHITE
FUCK BOTH CHARLO'S
FUCK TEXAS!!!!!!!!
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

I think it's obvious that Leonard is the MVP.

His heroics actually win games.
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

yoloswaggy911 wrote: damn and Pop went to AF Academy, brutal

I dislike Popovich as well, but that's because I'm a Lakers fan.
Living in San Antonio and not being a Spurs fan is terrible living. I was a fan in the 90s with David Robinson, Terry Cummings, Vinny Del Negro, Willie Anderson, Sean Elliot but they never had a PG. Then Tim Duncan came along and his stepping out of bounds to induce a foul even though it's not. Bruce Bowen dirty play. And all these fans came out of nowhere! Claiming off the wall shit like Beno Udrih could be a starter on any other team. Quoting Popovich like they know the guy. I remember one time out he wanted some more defense but he said "I want some nasty." They fuckin' made shirts of that! And his sideline interview he looks like he's a damn serial killer. why even bother interviewing him he clearly doesn't want to be there.
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

Because all the major leagues require players and coaches to be available for and cooperative with the media. Guys like Pop and The Hoodie just like trying to ice skate uphill to be persnickety, that's all.
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

J.J.Dillon wrote:Because all the major leagues require players and coaches to be available for and cooperative with the media. Guys like Pop and The Hoodie just like trying to ice skate uphill to be persnickety, that's all.

I get it but these fake Spurs fans... They go absolutely bananas over stuff like that, every little thing any Spur does, even 3rd stringers they act like they're great. Like Thiago Splitter!
I call them fake fans because when Tim Duncan retired, Spurs ratings dipped 47% even though they had the 2nd best record in the Association. Maybe that was a national poll but still, I don't see nearly as many people wearing Spurs gear as much as I used to.

But I guess that's anywhere with a large fan base. My cousin told me while he was in Dallas those fans gushed on and on about the Mavericks. He got so annoyed he started claiming to be a die hard Spurs fans and spouting stats he's heard before just to shut them up.

Maybe I'm just a bitter old man.
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

You are, but you ain't wrong.

Success breeds complacency. Universal rule.
soonermark890

Post by soonermark890 »

J.J.Dillon wrote:I think it's obvious that Leonard is the MVP.

His heroics actually win games.
Lol they didn't help him last night did they?

But let's look at the stats shall we? When getting a triple double (Russ's heroics as you call it) the thunder are 25 and 6.

So basically. You are full of shit.
FUCK LAWRENCE COLE
FUCK VIC DRAKULICH
FUCK KENNY BAYLESS
FUCK DANA WHITE
FUCK BOTH CHARLO'S
FUCK TEXAS!!!!!!!!
David
Administrator

Post by David »

soonermark890 wrote:Russ is the MVP. No lebron doesn't deserve it, stop with that he's not the best player in the NBA anymore. Leonard, Durant, Russ, and harden are all better at this point in their careers than lebron. Smh
No they aren't. That's just silly. Go ahead and start a poll and see what happens.

Why do you dislike LeBron? I'm a Cavs fan but show no real bias which is why I would expect one of the other guys to get an MVP. Harden and Westbrook are having amazing seasons and so is Kawhi. I have absolutely no argument against any of them getting the MVP and same with LeBron.

Do you really think those guys help their team more than LeBron helps his team? I think that's what it boils down to. I'm pretty sure there is exactly one player in the NBA that nearly guarantees a trip to the NBA Finals for the past what? 5 years?
soonermark890

Post by soonermark890 »

David wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:Russ is the MVP. No lebron doesn't deserve it, stop with that he's not the best player in the NBA anymore. Leonard, Durant, Russ, and harden are all better at this point in their careers than lebron. Smh
No they aren't. That's just silly. Go ahead and start a poll and see what happens.

Why do you dislike LeBron? I'm a Cavs fan but show no real bias which is why I would expect one of the other guys to get an MVP. Harden and Westbrook are having amazing seasons and so is Kawhi. I have absolutely no argument against any of them getting the MVP and same with LeBron.

Do you really think those guys help their team more than LeBron helps his team? I think that's what it boils down to. I'm pretty sure there is exactly one player in the NBA that nearly guarantees a trip to the NBA Finals for the past what? 5 years?
He guarantees a trip in the east. With help from other future hall of famers. He doesn't do anything alone. At this point in his career he is not better sorry it hurts your feelings.
FUCK LAWRENCE COLE
FUCK VIC DRAKULICH
FUCK KENNY BAYLESS
FUCK DANA WHITE
FUCK BOTH CHARLO'S
FUCK TEXAS!!!!!!!!
athenian

Post by athenian »

Bummed Durant is hobbled and now Aldridge is out indefinitely. I like seeing the best play the best. Really hoping the NBA finals isn't tainted this year.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Lebron is still the best player in the world but Harden is the MVP this season.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Continuing with what others were saying-

In 1961-1962 these were the stats of the best 3 players in the world.

Oscar Robertson= 30.8ppg, 12.5rpg, 11.4apg. Season Triple Double.
Wilt Chamberlain= 50.4ppg, 25.7rpg, 2.4apg. Scored 100 points in a game.
Bill Russell= 18.9ppg, 23.6rpg, 4.5apg. Best player on the best team.

Oscar's team finished 43-37. Eliminated in 1st round.
Wilt's team finished 54-26. Lost in the finals.
Bill's team finished 60-20. Won title.

Bill Russell won the MVP award that season.

Morale of the story is team success over individual stats when it comes to the MVP award. That's why Russell Westbrook wont win it.

Twice in history someone will average a triple double for the season and neither will end up winning the MVP award.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”