BOB willing to pay PBF $20 Mil for Cotto

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Vastud75

Post by Vastud75 »

RASTA666 wrote:
Vastud75 wrote:
RASTA666 wrote:No matter which side one is on this fight is thee fight. To bad about Floyds history with Top Rank. So why does Floyd not make this fight instead of joining the circus? If you are going to say money, I would ask as a boxing fan that you promptly pick up your shoe and stick it in your mouth. Money or legacy? Which is it?

I honestly think he feels he has already built his legacy. Now while thats up for debate, its his career, if he is satisfied with it, who are we to say what he should have and culd have done. No matter who he fights no one will ever say he is better than Leonard, and about 4 other Welters in history so in all actuality whats the point. IF and thats a pretty big if he beats Cotto, people are just going to bring out another name that he HAS to fight. When does it end. If its up the the fans it will never end IMO, thats why I cant really fault him for the money route he is taking. By beating Oscar he has done what he originally set out to do. Now Oscar is about to give him 20 mill more, shit I would never blame him for taking that. The Cotto fight someone will find a way to discredit it, just like they did with Baldi, Zab, Oscar, and Hatton. I guess he needs to fight RJJ, but if he beats him, we'll call Roy shot..

I dont agree bro. Its subjectivity verses objectivity and the mud slings both ways. Floyd has never unified a thing and he could have easily. And please dont assert that all who question Floyd are in the category you described. I want to see the best fight the best in the end. Theirs a man across the hall from Puerto Rico who can claim to be the man at 147. Prove otherwise and then go on the traveling road show. I dont give a rats ass whether he fights Quintana, Margo, Cintron or Williams. Beat Cotto and retire. Floyds biggest obstacle to greatness is Floyd.

Rasta I can partially agree with what you are saying. But what makes Cotto THE challenge. Of those you names he has only fought Quintana, he destroyed him but he is the only one in that list he fought. Why is Cotto THE fight? When last yr it was Margarito, then it was Williams, now its Cotto. Just like Floyd Cotto hasnt unified anything either? With his style and chin questions he cant be the betting favorite over Margo, and with Cintrons punch power, the odss would be greatly in his favor either. However I do agree that Floyd is in his own way, I cant deny that. He said he deserved this break, and I agree, lets see what he does when he comes back.

" They say you dont know what u doing till u stop doin it,
Well call me clueless, cuz I do this "
theVAMP
TTR MMA Challenge #2 Champ

Post by theVAMP »

chef97 wrote:Money thing ugh Vamp? I thought Floyd said he should be considered one of the all time greats in our sport. What a crock! :roll: The fight that would elevate Floyd to the "all time" status that he has said he wants is the fight with Miguel Cotto period. The reason Floyd won't take the fight is that it will be too dangerous for him. Floyd should just retire like another poster suggested...
its like this... Floyd's not afraid to fight Cotto.

Look at the numbers Floyd just did in his last two fights.... now think about the numbers the rematch will do. Even if its only 50% of the 1st.. thats still a million buys.

Now what Floyd wants is for Cotto to get more popular outside of the hardcore fans. Hardcore fans dnt bring in the numbers.... or Hopkins would be a star by now. Fact is, Cotto isnt mainstream yet. And the fight now isnt as big as it could be when you compare it to Floyd having 2wins over DLH and Cotto being the last welter standing. By the time the DLH/MM fight is over, we will all knw who THE top welter is and it wont be a debate. Remember up until Jan. Cotto was damn near neck and neck with PW as who ppl thought MM should fight. Now that the picture is more clear you still have AM and Cintron to sort out.

IMO the fight will happen in early 09... so bitchin bout so and so is ducking the other is pointless becuz the pieces that need to come together for the fight to happen are already in place. Think about it... if Cotto was bringing in the numbers by himself... his next fight would already be PPV and not WCB to set up a PPV.

Cotto's resume is solid... however his profile isnt. You forget before DLH laid out his two fight plan, Cotto was in the running to be his next opponent too. DLH went with MM becuz he brings in more $$$ than Cotto... same reason MM went with DLH. Cotto's just the odd man out right now when it comes to boxing business.

IF he's as good as everyone believes... he'll be the last one standing by the end of the year. And Floyd wont have anywhere else to turn to. Dnt worry bout the Hatton rematch coming up... Hatton has his hands full already himself... it'll happen... in 09.. but to suggest that Floyd after 6 belts in 5 different weight divisions... 39-0(25KOs) P4P #1... 10+ boxing is all of a sudden scared to get in the ring is sorta stupid man.
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

Vastud75 wrote:
RASTA666 wrote:
Vastud75 wrote:
I honestly think he feels he has already built his legacy. Now while thats up for debate, its his career, if he is satisfied with it, who are we to say what he should have and culd have done. No matter who he fights no one will ever say he is better than Leonard, and about 4 other Welters in history so in all actuality whats the point. IF and thats a pretty big if he beats Cotto, people are just going to bring out another name that he HAS to fight. When does it end. If its up the the fans it will never end IMO, thats why I cant really fault him for the money route he is taking. By beating Oscar he has done what he originally set out to do. Now Oscar is about to give him 20 mill more, shit I would never blame him for taking that. The Cotto fight someone will find a way to discredit it, just like they did with Baldi, Zab, Oscar, and Hatton. I guess he needs to fight RJJ, but if he beats him, we'll call Roy shot..

I dont agree bro. Its subjectivity verses objectivity and the mud slings both ways. Floyd has never unified a thing and he could have easily. And please dont assert that all who question Floyd are in the category you described. I want to see the best fight the best in the end. Theirs a man across the hall from Puerto Rico who can claim to be the man at 147. Prove otherwise and then go on the traveling road show. I dont give a rats ass whether he fights Quintana, Margo, Cintron or Williams. Beat Cotto and retire. Floyds biggest obstacle to greatness is Floyd.

Rasta I can partially agree with what you are saying. But what makes Cotto THE challenge. Of those you names he has only fought Quintana, he destroyed him but he is the only one in that list he fought. Why is Cotto THE fight? When last yr it was Margarito, then it was Williams, now its Cotto. Just like Floyd Cotto hasnt unified anything either? With his style and chin questions he cant be the betting favorite over Margo, and with Cintrons punch power, the odss would be greatly in his favor either. However I do agree that Floyd is in his own way, I cant deny that. He said he deserved this break, and I agree, lets see what he does when he comes back.
Personally...I have never lobbied for Floyd/Williams or Floyd/Margo. About 3 years ago I did wonder why he refused 8 mil but to be honest the fight has never interested me. Trying the reverse by asking why Cotto has not unified begs a series of questions.
Floyd has been in the game much longer. When he beat Hernandez for the 130 belt, 10 years ago Cotto was three years shy of turning pro. Its a lot harder to unify now than it was then. Today, the man is not necessarily the man holding all the belts. Cotto's chin problems are somewhat of a myth. How do you suppose boxing historians will view Floyd concerning his surreal world endeavors? Why is he fighting Oscar and not Cotto? People question why he is not mentioned with the all time greats..well theirs your reason. Money and little hunger.
RIP SCAPP 12/7/09
tainos
TTR Super Challenge 7 & Regular Challenge 20 & 22 Champion

Post by tainos »

RASTA666 wrote:No matter which side one is on this fight is thee fight. To bad about Floyds history with Top Rank. So why does Floyd not make this fight instead of joining the circus? If you are going to say money, I would ask as a boxing fan that you promptly pick up your shoe and stick it in your mouth. Money or legacy? Which is it?
LOL! It depends on who hes fighting. If its Oscar its money and if its Cotto its legacy. PBF doesnt even know what he wants.
Yo naci en Puerto Rico. Pero me cree en Nueva York. Pero nunca me olvidare, de mi tierra Borinquena.
Team Platano Power - Carribean Connection
tainos

Post by tainos »

Vastud75 wrote:
RASTA666 wrote:
Vastud75 wrote:

Do you honestly believe that Cotto isnt THE challenge. Cmon brow whether you think PBF wins easy or not you must know that Cotto is THE challenge as you put it. Other than Oscar hes the only other boxer that will bring him money unless he wants to go to England for a rematch, which he wont.
Yo naci en Puerto Rico. Pero me cree en Nueva York. Pero nunca me olvidare, de mi tierra Borinquena.
Barry_BondsMVP

Post by Barry_BondsMVP »

just make the fight happen, 60-40 to Floyd!
"Injustice, evil can’t be allowed to happen. If it happens close to you you must intervene. Sometimes you can only overcome evil with force. I always try to talk it over"

Fedor

tainos

Post by tainos »

Barry_BondsMVP wrote:just make the fight happen, 60-40 to Floyd!
Cotto has no problem with that!
Barry_BondsMVP

Post by Barry_BondsMVP »

I'm sure he doesn't!
"Injustice, evil can’t be allowed to happen. If it happens close to you you must intervene. Sometimes you can only overcome evil with force. I always try to talk it over"

Fedor

b0x1ng
TTR Contributor

Post by b0x1ng »

Chef, that was me.

Come on guys, so it's ok for Floyd to take the big money fights he knows he'll win? And if Cotto doesn't join the circus he won't fight him?

If Floyd is only after the money, then he should quit boxing and load up his home videos on the girls gone wild website. Otherwise, man up and fight real fights with whoever it is - Cotto or anyone else.
Vastud75

Post by Vastud75 »

b0x1ng wrote:Chef, that was me.

Come on guys, so it's ok for Floyd to take the big money fights he knows he'll win? And if Cotto doesn't join the circus he won't fight him?

If Floyd is only after the money, then he should quit boxing and load up his home videos on the girls gone wild website. Otherwise, man up and fight real fights with whoever it is - Cotto or anyone else.

LOL

A lot of anger, and its not like this fight has even been discussed, lol Read Vamps last post, its cant be put much clearer than that.

Barry_BondsMVP

Post by Barry_BondsMVP »

Cotto is a good fighter, but Floyd outboxes him IMO, Floyd will just watch the tapes of the Sugar fight and exploit Cotto!

Fedor

RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

Vastud75 wrote:

LOL

A lot of anger, and its not like this fight has even been discussed, lol Read Vamps last post, its cant be put much clearer than that.

Lol. How so? No offense Vastud and I think you are a great poster packing lots of knowledge but you Floyd fans need to start looking in the mirror or at the very least re-examine your own justifications.
RIP SCAPP 12/7/09
Vastud75

Post by Vastud75 »

RASTA666 wrote:
Vastud75 wrote:

LOL

Lol. How so? No offense Vastud and I think you are a great poster packing lots of knowledge but you Floyd fans need to start looking in the mirror or at the very least re-examine your own justifications.

No doubt Rasta I am a Floyd fan, and I have the utmost respect for you as a poster, and MOD as well. But unless I missed something bro, I dont remember a fight being offered to Floyd and he turned it down? If I missed that then I apologize. My sole point is that people are saying he is ducking Cotto and fighting Oscar, but Arum has yet to offer Mayweather a fight with Cotto bro. Negotiations have never even started. Its not like the Hatton Witter argument, where one has come and said come on lets fight and put up a deal ya know. All there has been was some trash talk by Cotto and Arum. Cotto saying he wants FLoyd, and Arum saying " Floyd will never fight Miguel Cotto, because he can beat him " but 'ol Bob didnt back that up with an offer. Thats all I am saying. I want Floyd to fight Cotto as well, but being that I make right at 70k a year, I cant knock a man for not turning donw 20 mill regardless how much he already has. He has never said he WONT fight Cotto..

mekane
Donator & Superfights Challenge #2, 4 & 7 Champion
Donator & Superfights Challenge #2, 4 & 7 Champion

Post by mekane »

I have the feelings its the arum-mayweather feud holding this one back.
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

Vastud75 wrote:
RASTA666 wrote:
Vastud75 wrote:
LOL

No doubt Rasta I am a Floyd fan, and I have the utmost respect for you as a poster, and MOD as well. But unless I missed something bro, I dont remember a fight being offered to Floyd and he turned it down? If I missed that then I apologize. My sole point is that people are saying he is ducking Cotto and fighting Oscar, but Arum has yet to offer Mayweather a fight with Cotto bro. Negotiations have never even started. Its not like the Hatton Witter argument, where one has come and said come on lets fight and put up a deal ya know. All there has been was some trash talk by Cotto and Arum. Cotto saying he wants FLoyd, and Arum saying " Floyd will never fight Miguel Cotto, because he can beat him " but 'ol Bob didnt back that up with an offer. Thats all I am saying. I want Floyd to fight Cotto as well, but being that I make right at 70k a year, I cant knock a man for not turning donw 20 mill regardless how much he already has. He has never said he WONT fight Cotto..
Your right. Bottom line is nothing has been offered. It is I that should apologize. I just think these two need to have at it and the roads to the arrival are secondary. Needs to get done imo. Its simply a dream match-up and could very well be the welter fight of this decade.

Peace bud and thanks for the constructive convo and the props.
RIP SCAPP 12/7/09
Vastud75

Post by Vastud75 »

mekane wrote:I have the feelings its the arum-mayweather feud holding this one back.
I dont know, I think that we will get this fight hype started in October after Floyd/Oscar ll. then it will be Floyd/ Cotto/Margo/ Cintron whoever wins, lmaoo or Gomez

b0x1ng
TTR Contributor

Post by b0x1ng »

About what?
...And Floyd wont have anywhere else to turn to
??.

Floyd won't fight any of the elite welters. Since we're talking that this is strictly boxing business, none of these guys will bring the business Oscar or Hatton bring. He won't fight any of them. Floyd has already stated that if Miguel doesn't join the circus and make an ass out of himself like Floyd does, they won't fight. Period. Shame on him and sucks for us.

His fans rationalize it by saying that he's not scared but there's not enough money there. And you know what? That's ok with me. He will have no choice and retire with De la Hoya after their fight. He'll be pricing himself out from fights. That's really what he's doing, isn't it? That's ok with me too. So retire and toss money around.

Prove me wrong Floyd, but I have the feeling you won't.
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

Vastud75 wrote:
mekane wrote:I have the feelings its the arum-mayweather feud holding this one back.
I dont know, I think that we will get this fight hype started in October after Floyd/Oscar ll. then it will be Floyd/ Cotto/Margo/ Cintron whoever wins, lmaoo or Gomez
:shock: :lol: :lol: Heaven forbid....
RIP SCAPP 12/7/09
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

b0x1ng wrote:About what?
??.

Floyd won't fight any of the elite welters. Since we're talking that this is strictly boxing business, none of these guys will bring the business Oscar or Hatton bring. He won't fight any of them. Floyd has already stated that if Miguel doesn't join the circus and make an ass out of himself like Floyd does, they won't fight. Period. Shame on him and sucks for us.

His fans rationalize it by saying that he's not scared but there's not enough money there. And you know what? That's ok with me. He will have no choice and retire with De la Hoya after their fight. He'll be pricing himself out from fights. That's really what he's doing, isn't it? That's ok with me too. So retire and toss money around.

The proverbial nail on the head. Great post.

"risk/reward" is why p4p is a myth.
RIP SCAPP 12/7/09
tainos

Post by tainos »

??.

Great post boxing! Im not claiming PBF is scared of anyone. He is the best fighter in boxing today and his resume speaks that but what he is doing today is a sham IMO!
theVAMP

Post by theVAMP »

??.

seriously man... whats wrong with Floyd fans understanding the game?

If you think we want DLH over Cotto then you're wrong. The fights i wanted most were Hatton, DLH and Cotto...

But crying about "he's all about the money.." this is that is bias... becuz last i checked... well im sure i can show you a quote frm every respected boxer out right now that is somewhere on the lines of..."if the money is right..." So the whole sport is about the money... why point fingers at the ones getting the most when they all have the same agenda?

Fact is the fight isnt happening 2mrw... so just face it...

2008 is all but mapped out. Apr. Cotto/Gomez.... June/July Cotto vs Cintron/AM winner.... Sept. DLH/MM....

stop acting like the wheel isnt turning already... and the fact that Floyd stated he's taking a break frm boxing... and said he would be back. Like VA said... he never said he wouldnt fight Cotto.. he simply said he didnt bring enuff to the table. By the time 08 is done with... Cotto will have the table full. Think about it... when he comes back, he'll want the biggest fight out there. Surely the last man standing will be the fight for the most money, so it all works hand and hand.

And i ask again... who are these "ELITE" fighters? so far only one you can name is Cotto... becuz the other welters dnt fit the discription.

Their pretty much a round robin of names made frm each other...

Clottey...noticable fight, a lost to AM.(i dnt count the Chico(RIP) fight as a good win.. Chico shouldve been retired)

Cintron... only noticable fight is a lost to AM.

AM.. noticable fight a win over Cintron and a lost to PW... but knwn more for being the guy that offered Floyd a fight.

PW.. noticable fight a win over AM and a lost to Quintana.

Quintana.. noticable fight a win over PW and a lost to Cotto.

So if you break it dwn... Quintana is knwn for losing to Cotto and beating PW who only made his name off of beating AM who made his name off of challenging Floyd and beating Cintron who's knwn most for the lost to AM.

So who out of them is an Elite fighter?

guess you want to mention SSM... well he just lost to Cotto... and only recent fight he had at welter was a win against Collazo... same fighter Hatton beat before hand but Hatton after 3yrs of the fight brewing all of a sudden doesnt count as an Elite fighter anymore for some reason.

I dnt see how he's pricing himself out of fights when fights havent been offered to him. Its only March...08... waiting til early 09 may seem long but isnt longer than we waited for Hatton/Mayweather.

So i guess having an understanding for how things work is wrong now... just as knwin that the reason Cotto didnt face Cintron when he challenged him was becuz the fight wouldnt be as big as it would had Cintron scored a win over AM 1st... and dnt say its about the belts... and blah blah Floyd doesnt unify... becuz the winner of Cintron/AM will vacate the title and the June/July PPV wont be for a unified title... its about $$$... and just becuz your favorite fighter isnt flashing the money... or naming himself after it. Doesnt mean thats not what he's about too. Even SSM turned dwn a chance to fight for the title with Quintana for a PPV fight with Judah... Cotto also accepted a PPV fight with Judah who was coming of b2b loses and a year lay off... so i knw there were others more "deserving" of a title shot... how did Judah land the title fight? Why becuz a fight with Judah lands you a PPV aka $$$ aka boxing's blood aka what all the fighters are about.
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

theVAMP wrote:
??.

seriously man... whats wrong with Floyd fans understanding the game?

If you think we want DLH over Cotto then you're wrong. The fights i wanted most were Hatton, DLH and Cotto...

But crying about "he's all about the money.." this is that is bias... becuz last i checked... well im sure i can show you a quote frm every respected boxer out right now that is somewhere on the lines of..."if the money is right..." So the whole sport is about the money... why point fingers at the ones getting the most when they all have the same agenda?

Fact is the fight isnt happening 2mrw... so just face it...

2008 is all but mapped out. Apr. Cotto/Gomez.... June/July Cotto vs Cintron/AM winner.... Sept. DLH/MM....

stop acting like the wheel isnt turning already... and the fact that Floyd stated he's taking a break frm boxing... and said he would be back. Like VA said... he never said he wouldnt fight Cotto.. he simply said he didnt bring enuff to the table. By the time 08 is done with... Cotto will have the table full. Think about it... when he comes back, he'll want the biggest fight out there. Surely the last man standing will be the fight for the most money, so it all works hand and hand.

And i ask again... who are these "ELITE" fighters? so far only one you can name is Cotto... becuz the other welters dnt fit the discription.

Their pretty much a round robin of names made frm each other...

Clottey...noticable fight, a lost to AM.(i dnt count the Chico(RIP) fight as a good win.. Chico shouldve been retired)

Cintron... only noticable fight is a lost to AM.

AM.. noticable fight a win over Cintron and a lost to PW... but knwn more for being the guy that offered Floyd a fight.

PW.. noticable fight a win over AM and a lost to Quintana.

Quintana.. noticable fight a win over PW and a lost to Cotto.

So if you break it dwn... Quintana is knwn for losing to Cotto and beating PW who only made his name off of beating AM who made his name off of challenging Floyd and beating Cintron who's knwn most for the lost to AM.

So who out of them is an Elite fighter?

guess you want to mention SSM... well he just lost to Cotto... and only recent fight he had at welter was a win against Collazo... same fighter Hatton beat before hand but Hatton after 3yrs of the fight brewing all of a sudden doesnt count as an Elite fighter anymore for some reason.

I dnt see how he's pricing himself out of fights when fights havent been offered to him. Its only March...08... waiting til early 09 may seem long but isnt longer than we waited for Hatton/Mayweather.

So i guess having an understanding for how things work is wrong now... just as knwin that the reason Cotto didnt face Cintron when he challenged him was becuz the fight wouldnt be as big as it would had Cintron scored a win over AM 1st... and dnt say its about the belts... and blah blah Floyd doesnt unify... becuz the winner of Cintron/AM will vacate the title and the June/July PPV wont be for a unified title... its about $$$... and just becuz your favorite fighter isnt flashing the money... or naming himself after it. Doesnt mean thats not what he's about too. Even SSM turned dwn a chance to fight for the title with Quintana for a PPV fight with Judah... Cotto also accepted a PPV fight with Judah who was coming of b2b loses and a year lay off... so i knw there were others more "deserving" of a title shot... how did Judah land the title fight? Why becuz a fight with Judah lands you a PPV aka $$$ aka boxing's blood aka what all the fighters are about.
A wire to miss the point. Or rather make it.
RIP SCAPP 12/7/09
theVAMP

Post by theVAMP »

point is quit bitching when everything is already in place for the fight to happen.
b0x1ng
TTR Contributor

Post by b0x1ng »

vamp, we can sit down here and argue back and forth until our fingers bleed but it won't change the fact that we see the situation differently. Floyd himself has said that Cotto does not bring the $$$ and that he needs to work on his marketing if he wants to fight him. Not sure what else we need in order to close this point.
I don't recall anyone calling you out on what fights you want for Floyd versus what Floyd is doing unless you're Floyd.
You are right on the fact that fighters wont and shouldn't fight for free. But money is what he has quoted as the road block and the likes of Cotto just wont be able to market themselves at the circus level to bring that. I strongly believe this. Floyd calls himself Money Mayweather. What else do we need?
In this case, the most money, under the best of circumstances here, won't be enough. Do you see him taking a 30 million paycut? Let's be honest here. I'm sure he's really focused on his legacy.
How do you know that they haven't? All I know is that he has publicly downplayed the possibility of the fight as you have already stated based on money.
Great. If he does not fight whoever clears the welters this year by next spring, he has priced himself out. So he should just retire with Oscar after their fight? There's more money to be made elsewhere. We'll have to wait until this time next year to see if you're right. Don't get me wrong - I'd like to be wrong.

We agree to disagree. I'm done.
b0x1ng
TTR Contributor

Post by b0x1ng »

theVAMP wrote:point is quit bitching when everything is already in place for the fight to happen.
Let's hope it does but I'm very doubtful.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”