Dwight Howard Superman Dunk = No Dunk

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Papa1472002

Dwight Howard Superman Dunk = No Dunk

Post by Papa1472002 »

:shock: :shock:

[/b]
fightfanatic1
TTR Donator II

Post by fightfanatic1 »

isn't that the "dunk" he won with?

LOL. the show is now more important than the actual act of dunking. Hence the gimmicks that come with dunking contest. In truth that was a crappy dunk, and not even a dunk technically. But it still passes in this day of the dunk contest.

I miss the days of Nique, and MJ. Only Vince Carter nowadays is worthy of mention in that elite category of dunkers, but he doesn't compete anymore.
It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
theVAMP
TTR MMA Challenge #2 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #2 Champ

Post by theVAMP »

thats wasnt a dunk... but the lob-touch-and dunk he did and the 1st dunk will go dwn as classics.
treywayln

Post by treywayln »

It was only my third favorite of his. Those that VAMP said were amazing. But I've seen this complaint a lot, and at first I agreed with it, until somebody pointed this out to me.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dunk

"to throw (a basketball) into the basket from above the rim" - Definition of the word Dunk.
"I am the flail of God. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
fightfanatic1
TTR Donator II

Post by fightfanatic1 »

trey

isn't that a pretty loose definition of a dunk. By the definition given there wouldn't half of what these kids are doing be considered dunks since they are higher than the rim and are "throwing" the ball in. It starts with about their 5th attempt and throughout the video there are more that would fit the definition given.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9196805601

but lets be honest, we know they are not dunks just like everyone who knows basketball knows what Howard did on that dunk wasn't a dunk.
Banks187

Post by Banks187 »

It looked like he threw it through the hoop when I first saw it but that confirms it. I think Vince in 2001 was the best performance in dunk contest history.

Best dunk ever: http://youtube.com/watch?v=MywyMVCfX6Q
fightfanatic1
TTR Donator II

Post by fightfanatic1 »

I agree with banks. That vince dunk is unbelievable. I mean we've people jump over others for dunks in the slam competitions but never in a game and never a 7 footer!!! That was simply the most amazing thing i've ever seen in a game.
westtm
TTR Contributor

Post by westtm »

This is a pretty fucking great dunk too.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mt001pBcwjM&re ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mt001pBcwjM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
"If you love me, root for me. If you don't love me, you will soon be a fan."- Floyd Mayweather Jr.
supermaxpapic

Post by supermaxpapic »

Okay, so it wasn't a dunk.
Doesn't take away from his "accomplishment". It wasn't all that original, but in context, he attempted something no other guy his size could possibly do. It's like a reverse Spud Webb effect.
Regardless of how it's looked upon, it was funny, non-disrespectful, and it made for a great picture.

Btw, checked out a documentary called Asphalt Phenoms of New York City: The Lost Years... yesterday, and it was pretty cool.
Here's the trailer:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vt6Fz5Levf8&re ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vt6Fz5Levf8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Team PlatanoPower... "El Fundador".
Vastud75

Post by Vastud75 »

fightfanatic1 wrote:isn't that the "dunk" he won with?

LOL. the show is now more important than the actual act of dunking. Hence the gimmicks that come with dunking contest. In truth that was a crappy dunk, and not even a dunk technically. But it still passes in this day of the dunk contest.

I miss the days of Nique, and MJ. Only Vince Carter nowadays is worthy of mention in that elite category of dunkers, but he doesn't compete anymore.

I think you also have to put Kobe, LeBron, J Rich, and Desmond Mason in there too, they are all unbelievable..

" They say you dont know what u doing till u stop doin it,
Well call me clueless, cuz I do this "
Banks187

Post by Banks187 »

Vastud75 wrote:

I think you also have to put Kobe, LeBron, J Rich, and Desmond Mason in there too, they are all unbelievable..
J Rich is sick, Iguodala too. Rodney Carney was ridiculous in college but I haven't seen too much of him in the NBA except for dunking on Wade.

Anyone remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uihaNhip ... re=related
boxingfreak

Post by boxingfreak »

WHY so many people are making such a HUGE DEAL over the fact of whether or not it was a "real dunk" is beyond me. :roll:
it was great entertainment. besides, his "other dunks" was unbelievable as well!
"like rappers with cotton-mouth, I'm hard to swallow, but I'm nice with Mikes (mics) like Cus Damato!"-Method Man
Banks187

Post by Banks187 »

boxingfreak wrote:WHY so many people are making such a HUGE DEAL over the fact of whether or not it was a "real dunk" is beyond me. :roll:
it was great entertainment. besides, his "other dunks" was unbelievable as well!

Well because it's a dunk contest and he didn't dunk it LOL.
boxingfreak

Post by boxingfreak »

totally disagree.
i feel that Howard's performance Saturday was as good as any in dunk-contest history.
"like rappers with cotton-mouth, I'm hard to swallow, but I'm nice with Mikes (mics) like Cus Damato!"-Method Man
Banks187

Post by Banks187 »

boxingfreak wrote:

totally disagree.
i feel that Howard's performance Saturday was as good as any in dunk-contest history.
The mini hoop was corny as hell, the Superman one was more entertaining than anything. He just jumped as high as he could and dunked. The other ones were great but I think Vince in 2001>Howard but a lot.
boxingfreak

Post by boxingfreak »

Banks187 wrote:
boxingfreak wrote:WHY so many people are making such a HUGE DEAL over the fact of whether or not it was a "real dunk" is beyond me. :roll:

still feel that people are just nit-picking and tryin to find SOMETHING to argue about.
if you wanna get TECHNICAL, many aren't actual dunks anyhow cuz you couldn't do them in an actual game anyway. gimicks aside, what about the "traveling"; etc. ?
Vastud75

Post by Vastud75 »

I think his performance ranks pretty hig in Dunk contest history..

" They say you dont know what u doing till u stop doin it,
Well call me clueless, cuz I do this "
Banks187

Post by Banks187 »

boxingfreak wrote:
Banks187 wrote:

still feel that people are just nit-picking and tryin to find SOMETHING to argue about.
if you wanna get TECHNICAL, many aren't actual dunks anyhow cuz you couldn't do them in an actual game anyway. gimicks aside, what about the "traveling"; etc. ?
I don't really see your point bro, we'll just agree to disagree. I thought he did well but his innovation was with costumes and props rather than style of dunk like Vince in 2001.
boxingfreak

Post by boxingfreak »

Banks187 wrote:
boxingfreak wrote:
Banks187 wrote:
I don't really see your point bro, we'll just agree to disagree. I thought he did well but his innovation was with costumes and props rather than style of dunk like Vince in 2001.
I'm just sayin that players couldn't do many of those "dunks" in a real game, so are they "real" dunks? one cannot "carry the ball", etc. you HAVE TO dribble prior to takeoff.
plus, there were no "gimmicks" in Howard's first dunk, which imo was a classic.
supermaxpapic

Post by supermaxpapic »

That was easily top-5 greatest performance in slam-dunk contest history. That can't be argued, imo. But I want to make perfectly clear I think his size added alot to it.

I do kind of agree that the mini-basket dunk was not that serious. If he would have went with the big ball, little ball attempt, that would have been outstanding.

ceelowsback

Post by ceelowsback »

how about the Gerald Green blowing the candle...that shit was siiiiiiiiick!!!
TEAM PLATANO POWER - CARIBBEAN CONNECTION
supermaxpapic

Post by supermaxpapic »

ceelowsback wrote:how about the Gerald Green blowing the candle...that shit was siiiiiiiiick!!!
Great originality and idea, but the dunk was just too basic. He should have at least windmilled.

boxingfreak

Post by boxingfreak »

people have been complaining for the past several yrs that the dunk contest had become boring. these guys brought the fun and excitement back this yr, and people STILL complain. :roll:
go figure! what the he11 do they want?
supermaxpapic

Post by supermaxpapic »

boxingfreak wrote:people have been complaining for the past several yrs that the dunk contest had become boring. these guys brought the fun and excitement back this yr, and people STILL complain. :roll:
Dunking midgets on trampolines, maybe?

boxingfreak

Post by boxingfreak »

supermaxpapic wrote:
boxingfreak wrote:people have been complaining for the past several yrs that the dunk contest had become boring. these guys brought the fun and excitement back this yr, and people STILL complain. :roll:
Dunking midgets on trampolines, maybe?
you're probably right, max.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”