Dwight Howard Superman Dunk = No Dunk

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Banks187

Post by Banks187 »

supermaxpapic wrote:
boxingfreak wrote:people have been complaining for the past several yrs that the dunk contest had become boring. these guys brought the fun and excitement back this yr, and people STILL complain. :roll:
go figure! what the he11 do they want?
Dunking midgets on trampolines, maybe?
Anything with midgets is excellent in my book. For the record, I'm not complaining. I'm just saying Vince in 2001 is still the best performance in a dunk contest IMO.
boxingfan1984

Post by boxingfan1984 »

It wasnt a dunk!!!
boxingfreak

Post by boxingfreak »

boxingfan1984 wrote:It wasnt a dunk!!!
WHO CARES? :roll:

it was entertainment and it was exciting. thats all that mattered. he would've won w/o THAT particular dunk anyway.
"like rappers with cotton-mouth, I'm hard to swallow, but I'm nice with Mikes (mics) like Cus Damato!"-Method Man
wimpy

Post by wimpy »

Yeah it wasn't a dunk. I had the feeling it was not about a contest anyway though. They already had their winner. He could have shot a 3 pointer and they would have called it original. :lol:
supermaxpapic

Post by supermaxpapic »

Why is that though? I mean, at least the guy was trying to dunk it, and it went in.
Actually, I think if he would have dunked it, he would have had to jump from closer, and it wouldn't have looked as good, so him being from so far added to the "flying effect". No word yet on whether he MEANT to throw it in. ...which I doubt.

To a large degree though, the contest has been extremely tainted in recent years, from the Chris "Birdman" Anderson incident, to the downright deplorable Nate Robinson fiasco.

Team PlatanoPower... "El Fundador".
yodaddy

Post by yodaddy »

I thought this was the best Dunk Contest since Vince Carter stole the show back in 2001.

Yea but technically that wasnt a dunk buts its funny how he won with that. I liked the cup cake candle dunk too. I didnt think he pulled it off first until I saw the replay that shit was great.
Pacquiao beat both Hatton and Oscar in less than 10 rounds when it took PBF over 20 ;)
The best fight the best. Mayweather has not yet fought the best in his own division. Period.

wimpy

Post by wimpy »

I do consider it somewhat close and the Super Man costume almost makes it that he should be above the rim. :lol:

Maybe I'm too old school. I can't help think it wouldn't have counted years ago. That kind of ruins it for me.

Plus it just seemed like everyone already decided who was going to win.

I thought blowing out the cupcake was great! :lol: The announcer was saying he didn't actually blow it out and then during the slow-mo you could actually see him blowing it out. :lol: I laughed my head off. Way to funny!

yodaddy

Post by yodaddy »

Yea I did notice everyone was on Dwight's balls even before all the dunks. He is good but its not like he is the only 6'11 guy that can play.
Pacquiao beat both Hatton and Oscar in less than 10 rounds when it took PBF over 20 ;)
The best fight the best. Mayweather has not yet fought the best in his own division. Period.

boxingfan1984

Post by boxingfan1984 »

yodaddy wrote:I thought this was the best Dunk Contest since Vince Carter stole the show back in 2001.

Yea but technically that wasnt a dunk buts its funny how he won with that. I liked the cup cake candle dunk too. I didnt think he pulled it off first until I saw the replay that shit was great.
This dunk contest was all props and show...no great dunks.
boxingfreak

Post by boxingfreak »

boxingfan1984 wrote:
yodaddy wrote:I thought this was the best Dunk Contest since Vince Carter stole the show back in 2001.

i personally don't believe that there are any humanly-possible dunks left that haven't been done already. thus props are probably necessary.
"like rappers with cotton-mouth, I'm hard to swallow, but I'm nice with Mikes (mics) like Cus Damato!"-Method Man
boxingfan1984

Post by boxingfan1984 »

boxingfreak wrote:
boxingfan1984 wrote:

i personally don't believe that there are any humanly-possible dunks left that haven't been done already. thus props are probably necessary.
Still, the dunk is most important.
boxingfreak

Post by boxingfreak »

boxingfan1984 wrote:
boxingfreak wrote:
boxingfan1984 wrote: This dunk contest was all props and show...no great dunks.
you don't think that Howard's first dunk from behind-the-backboard was awesome?
boxingfan1984

Post by boxingfan1984 »

That one was good. I never denied it, but the superman "dunk" sucked.
supermaxpapic

Post by supermaxpapic »

boxingfreak wrote:
boxingfan1984 wrote:
boxingfreak wrote: i personally don't believe that there are any humanly-possible dunks left that haven't been done already. thus props are probably necessary.
you don't think that Howard's first dunk from behind-the-backboard was awesome?
That was easily the most creative.
The tap-with-the-left, dunk-with-the-right one was really good (even though I didn't know wtf he did watching it live), but it hit me as one of those "why hadn't anybody thought of that before?".
Overall, he was creative, and I wonder how many of them he actually came up with by himself, and how many he had input from fans, friends, and family from.

Team PlatanoPower... "El Fundador".
boxingfreak

Post by boxingfreak »

why so many focus on the point that the "superman dunk" wasn't an actual dunk is beyond me. he could have just as easily took off closer to the basket and dunked it, which he probably would have, had they not counted it in the first place.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”