OH MY! Taylor vs Jones Jr???? (Official News)

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
RingGeneralship

OH MY! Taylor vs Jones Jr???? (Official News)

Post by RingGeneralship »

ROY JONES JR. VS. JERMAIN TAYLOR IN JUNE?
by G. Leon

While it was announced this past weekend by Bob Arum that Kelly Pavlik's next opponent could be the former middleweight champion Tito Trinidad, BoxingTalk has learned that a showdown between Jermain Taylor and Roy Jones Jr. is brewing, and could take place as soon as June. Taylor has already agreed to the fight, and is willing to either give the lion's share of the purse to Jones or accept a buyout from Don King. The fight would be aired on HBO PPV, and would be fought at an agreed 170-pounds. Jones last fight was his Janunary dismantling of Tito Trinidad, while Taylor's stock rose with his hard fought, but close fight with Pavlik this past weekend. Interviews with both fighters and promoters will follow soon, but until then REMEMBER WHERE YOU HEARD IT FIRST! (7:30PM EST)

This would be ridiculously interesting..
Last edited by RingGeneralship on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chi_Box
TTR Contributor

Post by Chi_Box »

hmm.. i'd watch it... but is Taylor just going to fight at random weights from now on?
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

I'd watch it too, but whats up w/ all these damn PPV's? Roy must not deem Taylor a threat. I know Taylor is a large middlewt, but Im sure there are credible ltheavy's for Jones to face.
"My belt says the heavyweight champ of the world!"(Wilder)
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)
Barry_BondsMVP

Post by Barry_BondsMVP »

I like JT a lot, but your messin with my boxing hero lol, WAR RJJ!
"Injustice, evil can’t be allowed to happen. If it happens close to you you must intervene. Sometimes you can only overcome evil with force. I always try to talk it over"

Fedor

RimmyJice

Post by RimmyJice »

Roy is done, JT smokes him.
Barry_BondsMVP

Post by Barry_BondsMVP »

AHHHHHH Rimmy Rim, you are delusional my friend!
"Injustice, evil can’t be allowed to happen. If it happens close to you you must intervene. Sometimes you can only overcome evil with force. I always try to talk it over"

Fedor

Underweartaker

Post by Underweartaker »

Barry_BondsMVP wrote:AHHHHHH Rimmy Rim, you are delusional my friend!
:lol: Now I need a new monitor
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

Guys I just had a crazy thought. Im wondering if Roy is trying to bait Hop into a rematch, by going after Hops opponents. Tito and now Taylor? Assuming,(big ass assumption b/c of Hops age) that Hop beats Joe let also say Jones beats Taylor. I could see HBO tyring to milk us for a Jones/Hop rematch. Just a crazy thought.

Jones has a name, but if Taylor beats him people will say Roy is old. If Im Taylor's camp this probably wouldnt be a fight I'd be looking for. An old Jones may still a risk for JT in my opinion.
Last edited by Bertel1 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)
RimmyJice

Post by RimmyJice »

Bertel1 wrote:Guys I just had a crazy thought. Im wondering if Roy is trying to bait Hop into a rematch, by going after Hops opponents. Tito and now Taylor? Assuming,(big ass assumption b/c of Hops age) that Hop beats Joe let also say Jones beats Taylor. I could see HBO tyring to milk us for a Jones/Hop rematch. Just a crazy thought.
If Hop beats Joe and Roy beats JT, than HBO putting on that fight wouldn't be milking us...we'd be calling for it.
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

RimmyJice wrote:
Bertel1 wrote:Guys I just had a crazy thought. Im wondering if Roy is trying to bait Hop into a rematch, by going after Hops opponents. Tito and now Taylor? Assuming,(big ass assumption b/c of Hops age) that Hop beats Joe let also say Jones beats Taylor. I could see HBO tyring to milk us for a Jones/Hop rematch. Just a crazy thought.
If Hop beats Joe and Roy beats JT, than HBO putting on that fight wouldn't be milking us...we'd be calling for it.
_______

I hear you Rimmy, but I guess I feel like both Hop and Jones are dinosaurs. Its too late for the rematch. I can already hear Max saying "those who thought _______ was shot is probably looking smart right about now. (Max would say this in hindsight of course after they sell the fight to us)
Last edited by Bertel1 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry_BondsMVP

Post by Barry_BondsMVP »

Roy already broke down JT's flaws Saturday Night, Roy is probably the most Intelligent boxers in the game right now. Roy will exploit every weakness in Jermaine's game and embarrass his ass. The biggest weakness's Jermaine has is fighting while moving backwards and his tendencies to drop his left and fight off the ropes, Roy's speed, intelligence and strength would break that down by the 5th RD. Too many 4-5 punch combos and body shots will be too much for young Jermaine.

Fedor

Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

Barry_BondsMVP wrote:Roy already broke down JT's flaws Saturday Night, Roy is probably the most Intelligent boxers in the game right now. Roy will exploit every weakness in Jermaine's game and embarrass his ass. The biggest weakness's Jermaine has is fighting while moving backwards and his tendencies to drop his left and fight off the ropes, Roy's speed, intelligence and strength would break that down by the 5th RD. Too many 4-5 punch combos and body shots will be too much for young Jermaine.

_________

The second I saw Roy in the audience, I figured he was up to something. I told my buddy Jones was probably thinking about fighting Pav or JT.
Mr.TKO

Post by Mr.TKO »

I dont think Taylor is planning on continuing his boxing career for much longer it looks like hes cashing in as much as he can.
RIP Scap & Rasta
Barry_BondsMVP

Post by Barry_BondsMVP »

after the Tito fight, he was already talking the winner of, Pav-JT if he couldn't get the winner of Hop-Cal!

Fedor

fightfanatic1
TTR Donator II

Post by fightfanatic1 »

I'm starting to think Roy is afraid to fight guys in his own weight class at this point because they might KO him, so he is now only going after names in smaller weight divisions.

Roy should be fighting guys in his weight class. I mean seriously the guy fought at heavy weight and is now fighting guys who primes were 147 and 160.
It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Barry_BondsMVP

Post by Barry_BondsMVP »

Roy started his career at 160, he's a natural 168, don't really see the harm in that.

Fedor

fightfanatic1
TTR Donator II

Post by fightfanatic1 »

Roy hasn't fought at 168 since 1996. since then he's been campaigning as a light heavy.
Barry_BondsMVP

Post by Barry_BondsMVP »

does that make him a bully, he just fought at 169? JT can make 168 without problems, fighters move up in weight all the time, no one seems to care that BHOP has moved up two weight classes in like 2 years. Now he's fighting Calzaghe at LHW who's campaigned at 168 for years.

Fedor

fightfanatic1
TTR Donator II

Post by fightfanatic1 »

I guess its just that he is calling out a guy who 2 weight classes below him (before this fight at a catch weight).

And yes JT can make 168 but that doesn't mean that he can do well there. Heck Oscar can make 160, but we all know he had no business there. And I think JT can make 168 but likely gets beaten up by Joe C. and would have a tough time if he decided to stay there.
Barry_BondsMVP

Post by Barry_BondsMVP »

JT looked good, what was his official fight weight Saturday Night, anyone know? You can tell his body is made for the Super MW division, and Roy has always been the SM type. I don't think the extra pds will effect JT, his mental game effects him.

Fedor

Barry_BondsMVP

Post by Barry_BondsMVP »

Promoter Lou DiBella has advised BoxingScene.com that talks are ongoing for Jermain Taylor (27-2-1, 17KOs) to face Roy Jones Jr. (52-4, 38KOs) in either June or July, on HBO pay-per-view. The fight will likely take place at a catch-weight of 170-pounds.

Taylor, a former middleweight champion, lost a unanimous decision last Saturday night to Kelly Pavlik at a contracted weight of 166-pounds. Jones, a former four-division champion, won a unanimous decision over Felix Trinidad in January. The Jones-Trinidad affair was also held at the catch-weight of 170.

"Pavlik may have won the fight on Saturday, but Jermain didn't lose," DiBella said.

Talks for Taylor-Jones were previously held in 2007. Jermain skipped out on Jones to defend his title against his mandatory, Kelly Pavlik. Pavlik stopped Taylor in the seventh-round of that September title defense. Following the loss, Jones claimed in an interview with BoxingScene.com, that he advised DiBella to turn Pavlik down.

"I saw it coming. I was telling Lou DiBella. The bad part about it, Jermain Taylor and I had a date for September. HBO gave him a pay-per-view (date) to fight me. They agreed to this a long time before I fought Anthony Hanshaw (7/14/07)," Jones said. "They said 'naw, we're going to fight Kelly Pavlik first'. I said 'you are making a mistake Lou, he (Taylor) almost lost his last six fights.'

On a side note from last Saturday's Pavlik-Taylor pay-per-view from Las Vegas, DiBella slipped and fell while exiting the ring during Ronald Hearns' undercard bout. He suffered a back injury and a broken rib.

"I was wearing new shoes. I fell very hard and I'm still in pain, but I'm continuing to conduct business for all of my fighters," DiBella said.

Fedor

Andyl

Post by Andyl »

Call me crazy and I know how smart of a boxer RJJ is but I dont think he'll last against JT. He had flashes of brilliance against Tito but he also had flashes of why he had lost 3 fights in a row and 2 by vicisious ko. Tito looked like a guy who hadnt fought in 2 1/2 years and even an aging roy could take advantge of his ring rust and slow punches.

I wouldnt count Roy out but I wouldnt bet on him leaving the ring on his feet either
Banks187

Post by Banks187 »

fightfanatic1 wrote:I guess its just that he is calling out a guy who 2 weight classes below him (before this fight at a catch weight).

And yes JT can make 168 but that doesn't mean that he can do well there. Heck Oscar can make 160, but we all know he had no business there. And I think JT can make 168 but likely gets beaten up by Joe C. and would have a tough time if he decided to stay there.

To be honest JT has always been a 168 fighter fighting at 160.
loseronriver

Post by loseronriver »

As The "JT" fan of the board.. I declared this to be a boring fight.. neither likes coming forward... Both would rather counter punch.. Jones's speed will land on Taylor but Taylor isn't exactly slow.. So I expect Taylor to get his fair share of punches in.. I don't expect a war but rather a tactical fight of countering counters..I also don't think Roy is picking on someone smaller then him..Taylor is a big boy and might out weigh and out size RJJ come fight night... This is a good fight for Taylor also.. He will be fighting someone who will not force him to expell alot of energy with pressure..

"I knew he didn't want the fight," Dawson said. "He keeps talking about Philly and being a gangster. He's no gangster. Gangsters don't quit. He's weak. He's a weak physically- and mentally-minded person. He has no power."
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

I think that's actually a good fight considering where both are at..................
both can give each other problems and the speed of the fight could be entertaining................

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”