Joe Calzaghe: "I'll Move Down For Kelly Pavlik"

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
theVAMP
TTR MMA Challenge #2 Champ

Joe Calzaghe: "I'll Move Down For Kelly Pavlik"

Post by theVAMP »

In a recent interview with Brian Doogan, WBC/WBO/WBA super middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe said that he's willing to move back down in weight for a fight with WBC/WBO middleweight champ Kelly Pavlik.

Calzaghe says that he's only taking the bout with Bernard Hopkins at the light heavyweight limit of 175-pounds because the Philadelphian fighter refused to move down to super middleweight. After Calzaghe's super-fight with Hopkins on April 19, he'd like to collide with Pavlik.

"I'm only stepping up to light heavyweight because Hopkins wouldn't come down to super middleweight and I've always wanted to be a champion at two weights," Calzaghe said. "Pavlik's a good champion and, yes, I'm impressed by him. He comes to fight and I like his no-nonsense style."

How would Calzgahe match up? Well, he doesn't think Pavlik is strong enough at 168 to beat a fighter like Mikkel Kessler, who Calzaghe was able to best last November. The undisputed champ broke it down the strategy to Doogan.

"He's a bit crude, Pavlik, and doesn't do anything exceptional," Calzaghe said. "I'd stop him from jabbing with my movement and my workrate would wear him down late on. I don't see [Pavlik] beating Mikkel Kessler because he wouldn't have the punching power to hurt him but I think he could be effective at super middle. He showed that last night [by] boxing just a few pounds under the super middleweight limit."

Pavlik is looking to return on June 7 at New York Madison Square Garden. The two frontrunner opponents are Felix Trinidad and "Irish" John Duddy. Trinidad may become a problem to put together as trainer/manager Papa Trinidad will not advise his son, who last fought at 170, to move down to 160 for Pavlik.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like this fight for Joe... i feel he's just too good of a boxer for Pavlik... and he'll win by wide UD 10-2 at the least...

I dnt think Pavlik can land anything too hurt Joe... Joe's a master of distance... and he has the work rate to win rds off Pavlik all night.
Pride Of Wales
TTR Contributor & Writer

Post by Pride Of Wales »

Pavlik is at LEAST twice as slow as Joe, and considering he's smaller too, if I was Pavlik I'd stay well away..
"Иф ёу цан реад тхис ёуьлл кноw тхат ит исньт wортх реадинг"

Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

I want this fight for Joe! Another young American, in his prime coming off a huge win, plus he happens to be a Ring Magazine champion as well. It would be exciting for as long as it lasts but Joe would be way too quick and good. Still a great matchup that should draw some major interest.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ8IZ3iW_UM&t=4m43s
HAHAHAHA!! :lol: :lol:

'You know why Deontay Wilder sucks? Let me break it down for his bumboys, fanboys and internet fans that like sucking him off. AJ loses. He was so over the moon, so happy. Dude they was offering you more than $100m to fight him! You made 4-5m to fight Ortiz bruv! Are you stupid? Are you fucking stupid?!' - Dillian Whyte

'Eddie Hearn has almost single-handedly helped raise the profile of boxing in the U.S.' - Kevin Iole
boxingfan1984

Post by boxingfan1984 »

Pride Of Wales wrote:Pavlik is at LEAST twice as slow as Joe, and considering he's smaller too, if I was Pavlik I'd stay well away..
Yeah, Joe would hurt him.
Banks187

Post by Banks187 »

A Vamp sighting, where the hell have you been man?

I think Joe would stop Pavlik for the reasons he mentioned himself. Pavlik looks great against guys who stand in front of him but Joe's movement would cause his work rate to drop significantly, and once that happens he's officially done. Joe is at least as fast as JT and look how many clean counters Taylor was able to land on Saturday.
elterrible33

Post by elterrible33 »

bad matchup for the ghost. joe has a weight advantage and hes more skilled. the on good thing about pavlik is he is always one punch away from being in any fight.
Banks187

Post by Banks187 »

elterrible33 wrote:bad matchup for the ghost. joe has a weight advantage and hes more skilled. the on good thing about pavlik is he is always one punch away from being in any fight.

With most people I would agree but I think Joe has one of the best (and most underrated) beards in the world. He took some absolute bombs from Kessler and didn't even flinch. I hope Pavlik tries to take Abraham's belt next.
loseronriver

Post by loseronriver »

Banks187 wrote:A Vamp sighting, where the hell have you been man?

I think Joe would stop Pavlik for the reasons he mentioned himself. Pavlik looks great against guys who stand in front of him but Joe's movement would cause his work rate to drop significantly, and once that happens he's officially done. Joe is at least as fast as JT and look how many clean counters Taylor was able to land on Saturday.
^^^^^^^^
idk about that.. twice as fast Pavlik.. JT is pretty fast...

"I knew he didn't want the fight," Dawson said. "He keeps talking about Philly and being a gangster. He's no gangster. Gangsters don't quit. He's weak. He's a weak physically- and mentally-minded person. He has no power."
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

I want to see Pavlik fight Winky Wright or Kessler. I wouldn't mind seeing Calzaghe/Wright at 168 if Wright were to beat either Pavlik or Kessler
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:I want to see Pavlik fight Winky Wright or Kessler. I wouldn't mind seeing Calzaghe/Wright at 168 if Wright were to beat either Pavlik or Kessler

Winky hasnt done anything to deserve a shot at the title, but I'd also like to see Pavlik/Wright at 160. Im just curious on how Pavlik would handle Wrights fighting style.
"My belt says the heavyweight champ of the world!"(Wilder)
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)
Erison

Post by Erison »

I'd favor Pavlik by UD over Winky. Pavlik has the energy and stamina to throw 100 punches per round, and even if he was just hitting Winky's gloves, I think he'd keep throwing to outwork him. i think Winky's done, but he just hasnt been exposed yet.

I also think Calzaghe stops Pavlik in 9.
Done posting. RIP TTR.
elterrible33

Post by elterrible33 »

Banks187 wrote:
elterrible33 wrote:bad matchup for the ghost. joe has a weight advantage and hes more skilled. the on good thing about pavlik is he is always one punch away from being in any fight.

With most people I would agree but I think Joe has one of the best (and most underrated) beards in the world. He took some absolute bombs from Kessler and didn't even flinch. I hope Pavlik tries to take Abraham's belt next.

i agree joes chin is underated but at the same time, taylor and miranda also had pretty good chins. still id favor joe but whats been impressing me about ghost lately is his jab. best way to nuetralize speed.
mekane
Donator & Superfights Challenge #2, 4 & 7 Champion

Post by mekane »

Pavlik had success against Taylor and Miranda because they have holes in their defense. Pavlik is a smart fighter but he is just too slow defensively that I think Calzaghe would easily pick him apart with counters. I think it would be a more difficult fight for Calzaghe than some of you are expecting, but no way Pavlik wins that one.
mekane

Post by mekane »

Banks187 wrote: With most people I would agree but I think Joe has one of the best (and most underrated) beards in the world. He took some absolute bombs from Kessler and didn't even flinch. I hope Pavlik tries to take Abraham's belt next.
He does have a good chin, but you would only be right about the "trying" part in your last sentence :)
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

Joe CAL is not shrinking to 160 for Pavlik. Give me a break.
theVAMP

Post by theVAMP »

RASTA666 wrote:Joe CAL is not shrinking to 160 for Pavlik. Give me a break.
i think Joe's hinting toward a meeting at 168. At least thats how i took it.
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

theVAMP wrote:
Well that I could see Vamp but this middle talk is pure bunk brother.
Andyl

Post by Andyl »

Ever since Pavlik beat Taylor the first time and these articles were starting up I was against the two of them squaring off. I dont see Pavlik having a chance against someone as slick and fast as Joe. If he was going to move up to fight anyone I'd like him to fight Kessler but theres not much chance of that happening since Kessler doesnt have a bargaining chip to get Pavlik in the ring anymore. I think Pascal, Bute, and Calzaghe (if he doesnt stay at 175) would give Pavlik fits if he were to go to 168.
boxingfreak

Post by boxingfreak »

theVAMP wrote:
he'd BETTER BE, cuz like Rasta posted, NO WAY will Calzaghe ever see 160. a few yrs back JoeCal was complaining about getting "down" to 168!
"like rappers with cotton-mouth, I'm hard to swallow, but I'm nice with Mikes (mics) like Cus Damato!"-Method Man
Banks187

Post by Banks187 »

boxingfreak wrote:
theVAMP wrote:
he'd BETTER BE, cuz like Rasta posted, NO WAY will Calzaghe ever see 160. a few yrs back JoeCal was complaining about getting "down" to 168!
Joe is a smart guy, I doubt he is even considering middleweight. If (when) he beats Hopkins Joe will the in the driver's seat and people will be coming to him.
kentgrad

Post by kentgrad »

i actually think this would be a good fight kelly is tall and has great power i think him and calz would have an excellent match i just dont wanna see pavlik and trinadad by any means so please joe call out kelly
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

This does little to elevate anyones oppinion of him. At least thats my 2 cents.
If he actually said this then by all means he is looking to make the last few dolars of his career ala a cake walk.
Pavlik should unify the titles and then maybe with in 18 months or after start talking about something like this.

And it definately wont be a walk for JC if he puts himself infront of Kelly and fights him.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
Southpaw_uppercut

Post by Southpaw_uppercut »

Not going to happen, Joe Calzaghe is just being an attention whore ....continue discussions about Cal/Hop

thank you and have a nice day :)

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”