Would a warm up fight have helped Taylor?

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.

Should Taylor have took a warm up?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:35 pm

Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes: 19

Mr.TKO

Would a warm up fight have helped Taylor?

Post by Mr.TKO »

Would Taylor have been better if he had taken a warm up fight before stepping in there with Pavlik again? Just wondering what you guys think
RIP Scap & Rasta
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I think so, he tried a few new things that could have been a little more polished had he fought a tune up. Then again we've seen JT in tune ups before!!!!
Last edited by Tommy on Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andyl

Post by Andyl »

Im kindof split but voted yes because being ko'd the way he did and changing your trainer are two difficult things to deal with. Part of me thinks he shouldve got right back on the horse since the ko gave him something to fight for again though. Most guys that are ko'd almost always take a warm-up fight to get their confidence back and I doubt anyone wouldve held it against him. I dont think anyone wouldve held it against him to fight a top 10-20 middleweight after the ko because of his high level of competition he has faced over the past 6 fights either.
Southpaw_uppercut

Post by Southpaw_uppercut »

maybe, he had stamina problems early

despite what others may say, I still believe Taylor won that fight, he did everything he needed to do,did it well, and did it better than Pavlik.
Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

Probably, fighting like he did and winning against a tuneup would have had him full of confidence for the Pavlik fight rather than just the revenge aspect he had.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ8IZ3iW_UM&t=4m43s
HAHAHAHA!! :lol: :lol:

'You know why Deontay Wilder sucks? Let me break it down for his bumboys, fanboys and internet fans that like sucking him off. AJ loses. He was so over the moon, so happy. Dude they was offering you more than $100m to fight him! You made 4-5m to fight Ortiz bruv! Are you stupid? Are you fucking stupid?!' - Dillian Whyte

'Eddie Hearn has almost single-handedly helped raise the profile of boxing in the U.S.' - Kevin Iole
BadlyBrowned
______

Post by BadlyBrowned »

Southpaw_uppercut wrote:maybe, he had stamina problems early

despite what others may say, I still believe Taylor won that fight, he did everything he needed to do,did it well, and did it better than Pavlik.
Agree to disagree.

/begin sarcasm

You're an idiot.

/end sarcasm

DISCLAIMER: Assholes are like opinions, everybody's gotta have one.

:wink:

But to be on topic, I believe he SHOULD have had a tune up fight. However if he did end up winning the fight his confidence would have been sky high, coming back from a brutal loss to avenge it immediately. If he had taken a tune up first, he could have employed this strategy on a lesser opponent and tweak it a bit when he met Pavlik. Maybe then he would have been successful.
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

I dunno guys. Some guys will just be bad style matchups for certain fighters. Regardless to the outcome, I did think Taylor showed alot of improvement.
"My belt says the heavyweight champ of the world!"(Wilder)
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)
scappoosejohn

Post by scappoosejohn »

I voted no. He was one fight out of being the world title holder when the rematch was made so just who is he gonna "tune up" with? Maybe rematch with Cory Spinks or Winky Wright? He was lucky to get the win against Cory and I really doubt that he would care to take on Wright again after squeaking out a draw.

Nope, I don't think so. Any tune up fight wouldn't of helped the situation. Besides, Taylor got the rematch on his terms and lost. That's something to consider, for sure.
"A champion, a true champion is to take on all capable challengers. A true champion defends his title, and looks for matches that pose a threat in order to prove to the world he deserves to be called the best of the best."
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

scappoosejohn wrote:I voted no. He was one fight out of being the world title holder when the rematch was made so just who is he gonna "tune up" with? Maybe rematch with Cory Spinks or Winky Wright? He was lucky to get the win against Cory and I really doubt that he would care to take on Wright again after squeaking out a draw.

Nope, I don't think so. Any tune up fight wouldn't of helped the situation. Besides, Taylor got the rematch on his terms and lost. That's something to consider, for sure.

I dont think a tune up would have made a diff either Scapp, but for whats its worth Taylor was more than willing to give Winky a rematch.
"My belt says the heavyweight champ of the world!"(Wilder)
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)
scappoosejohn

Post by scappoosejohn »

Bertel1 wrote:
scappoosejohn wrote:I voted no. He was one fight out of being the world title holder when the rematch was made so just who is he gonna "tune up" with? Maybe rematch with Cory Spinks or Winky Wright? He was lucky to get the win against Cory and I really doubt that he would care to take on Wright again after squeaking out a draw.

I dont think a tune up would have made a diff either Scapp, but for whats its worth Taylor was more than willing to give Winky a rematch.
True and I forgot to mention that. Thanks for the reminder.
"A champion, a true champion is to take on all capable challengers. A true champion defends his title, and looks for matches that pose a threat in order to prove to the world he deserves to be called the best of the best."
scappoosejohn

Post by scappoosejohn »

BadlyBrowned wrote:

Agree to disagree.

/begin sarcasm

You're an idiot.

/end sarcasm

But to be on topic, I believe he SHOULD have had a tune up fight. However if he did end up winning the fight his confidence would have been sky high, coming back from a brutal loss to avenge it immediately. If he had taken a tune up first, he could have employed this strategy on a lesser opponent and tweak it a bit when he met Pavlik. Maybe then he would have been successful.
Good point but why call Southpaw an idiot and asshole? If that is true then your opinion falls into the same category and that makes no sense to me. Just another opinion so I'm also an asshole too. LOL
LORD

Post by LORD »

Wouldn't have made a difference in my opinion. Jermain still has every flaw he's always had and Kelly is simply a better fighter. Period. Better defense, better technically, better form, less telegraphic, better gameplan, superior corner and more intelligent. Taylor's shelf life isn't gonna be a long one if he doesn't make a MAJOR overhaul on his game ASAP.
Let me know

______

Post by BadlyBrowned »

scappoosejohn wrote:
BadlyBrowned wrote:

Agree to disagree.

/begin sarcasm

You're an idiot.

/end sarcasm

Good point but why call Southpaw an idiot and asshole? If that is true then your opinion falls into the same category and that makes no sense to me. Just another opinion so I'm also an asshole too. LOL
Just being sarcastic. I don't have a problem with the guy at all.

That was just said to remind everyone that we can all agree to disagree to a point.

And we should have fun with it.

Compared to other boards where they're crying "Taylor robbery" the general consensus here is that it was a close fight won by Kelly. Which speaks volumes of the average boxing knowledge on this board.

Everyone who thought Taylor won can grab a spoon so they could eat my ass. (sarcasm again)

I'm really bored.
scappoosejohn

Post by scappoosejohn »

BadlyBrowned wrote:
scappoosejohn wrote:
BadlyBrowned wrote: Agree to disagree.

/begin sarcasm

You're an idiot.

/end sarcasm

Just being sarcastic. I don't have a problem with the guy at all.

That was just said to remind everyone that we can all agree to disagree to a point.

And we should have fun with it.

Compared to other boards where they're crying "Taylor robbery" the general consensus here is that it was a close fight won by Kelly. Which speaks volumes of the average boxing knowledge on this board.

Everyone who thought Taylor won can grab a spoon so they could eat my ass. (sarcasm again)

I'm really bored.
Fair enough. Appreciate your reply.
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

I don't believe so. taylor showed a great deal of improvement but pavlik's workrate along with his height and reach give taylor enough problems the more the longer the fight goes................
taylor would have been better off going with nelson way before he fought pavlik. if taylor fought the way he did against ouma, spinks, and winky he would have matured far more from the experience than he did before taking on a hungry, bigger power puncher..............
b0x1ng
TTR Contributor

Post by b0x1ng »

I don't think it would have made a difference. They issue with Taylor is that he cannot fight for 36 minutes. With an active guy like Pavlik, you can't get away with that. I don't think he would have overcome the stamina issue with a warm up. He came very close but practically taking rounds off is what made him lose the fight.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”