Calzaghe - Reid

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Pride Of Wales
TTR Contributor & Writer

Post by Pride Of Wales »

lmao, 1999 called and they want their fight back.. Talk about a delayed reaction..
Last edited by Pride Of Wales on Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Иф ёу цан реад тхис ёуьлл кноw тхат ит исньт wортх реадинг"

Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

Unless the similarity between the Reid fight and Calzaghe fight is that you think Calzaghe may get injured again then there really isn't much to go at.

Btw Calzaghe isn't good against counter punchers and then using Bika as an example?!! Calzaghe is the master at countering counters, Bike was just a wild, tough nut and Joe was fighting stupid trying to impress TV.

Its bloody sad how one of the greatest boxers of this generation is so unknown to the public and underestimated by those that have seen him. You want him to be crap, but sadly he isn't. :D
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ8IZ3iW_UM&t=4m43s
HAHAHAHA!! :lol: :lol:

'You know why Deontay Wilder sucks? Let me break it down for his bumboys, fanboys and internet fans that like sucking him off. AJ loses. He was so over the moon, so happy. Dude they was offering you more than $100m to fight him! You made 4-5m to fight Ortiz bruv! Are you stupid? Are you fucking stupid?!' - Dillian Whyte

'Eddie Hearn has almost single-handedly helped raise the profile of boxing in the U.S.' - Kevin Iole
kinggrissly

Re: Calzaghe - Reid

Post by kinggrissly »

lurkyshaka wrote:
kinggrissly wrote:
boxingfan1984 wrote:
Yeah, but Reid wasnt 45!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, but he also wasn't Bernard Hopkins. I think the difference will be that Calzaghe has never been on this level, despite the nonsense from his supporters that his opposition has been on par with Hopkins'. Clearly it hasn't been close. Hopkins will be the first great fighter he's ever faced. People have written Hopkins off before and he's exposed guys. Even at his worst he really beat Taylor, and even though Calzaghe is better than Taylor, Hopkins has some things working for him in this fight he didn't have in those fights, i.e. the weight and Calzaghe's style.
You do talk such biased drivel at times griss....'Calzaghe has never been on this level'? I've never heard such shit in all my life. Kessler alone would kick crap out of anyone Hopkins ever beat.

The only thing Hopkins has going for him is the location....don't kid yourself the weight will be of any help to him, or Calzaghe's style :?

I give you credit for optimism....if you think Calzaghe's style works in Hopkins favour then good for you tho....lol

It really is going to take seeing Joe give Bernard a good hiding to convince you.....i understand that and it is coming.
You can keep chirping "Kessler" till the cows come home but that guy was barely known beyond having a glossy record. Yes he is a quality fighter but Trinidad and Tarver beat quality fighters too before Hopkins exposed them. Until Joe steps up to this level there are doubts about what flaws, that have only been hinted at by opponents like Reid, can be ripped wide open by Hopkins. The move up in weight made him quicker on the draw and upped his activity, that's why people are making a mistake thinking that because Taylor was able to out-throw him to a dubious decision that Calzaghe will automatically be able to do the same.
Pride Of Wales
TTR Contributor & Writer

Post by Pride Of Wales »

kinggrissly wrote:
You can keep chirping "Kessler" till the cows come home but that guy was barely known beyond having a glossy record.
Cos we all judge fighters on how well known they are dont we? :roll: Using that same theory, Floyd Mayweather must be pretty crappy.
"Иф ёу цан реад тхис ёуьлл кноw тхат ит исньт wортх реадинг"

Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

Pride Of Wales wrote:
kinggrissly wrote:
You can keep chirping "Kessler" till the cows come home but that guy was barely known beyond having a glossy record.
Cos we all judge fighters on how well known they are dont we? :roll: Using that same theory, Floyd Mayweather must be pretty crappy.
Yeah exactly lol

'You know why Deontay Wilder sucks? Let me break it down for his bumboys, fanboys and internet fans that like sucking him off. AJ loses. He was so over the moon, so happy. Dude they was offering you more than $100m to fight him! You made 4-5m to fight Ortiz bruv! Are you stupid? Are you fucking stupid?!' - Dillian Whyte

'Eddie Hearn has almost single-handedly helped raise the profile of boxing in the U.S.' - Kevin Iole
boxingfan1984

Post by boxingfan1984 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:The Cal-Reid and Mayweather-Castillo fights prove that even when you're great, you have to be lucky to have that undefeated record. Both could have easily been on a justified losing end of a decision in their respective fights.

What I"m getting at is that nobody is unbeatable, and a right style on the right night can cause a load of trouble to any great fighter. Hell Sugar Ray Robinson lost fights in his prime. This is why I can't stand people on here totally disregarding a fighter's chance of losing. It can happen... if you fight long enough it WILL happen
Yeah, If you are Joe or Floyd, you have to think about 2-3 more fights tops and get out.
mekane
Donator & Superfights Challenge #2, 4 & 7 Champion
Donator & Superfights Challenge #2, 4 & 7 Champion

Post by mekane »

Mayz wrote:Unless the similarity between the Reid fight and Calzaghe fight is that you think Calzaghe may get injured again then there really isn't much to go at.

Btw Calzaghe isn't good against counter punchers and then using Bika as an example?!! Calzaghe is the master at countering counters, Bike was just a wild, tough nut and Joe was fighting stupid trying to impress TV.

Its bloody sad how one of the greatest boxers of this generation is so unknown to the public and underestimated by those that have seen him. You want him to be crap, but sadly he isn't. :D
Reid was making Calzaghe miss and countering with right hands that couldn't seem to miss Calzaghe.

I don't see how Calzaghe was fighting stupid against Bika. He was clearly in control but he couldn't seem to land much on Bika without getting caught by counters.

I'm not saying Calzaghe is crap, lol. Merely pointing to a fight plan that Reid followed that gave Calzaghe problems and is one that Hopkins implements in all of his fights.
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:The Cal-Reid and Mayweather-Castillo fights prove that even when you're great, you have to be lucky to have that undefeated record. Both could have easily been on a justified losing end of a decision in their respective fights.

What I"m getting at is that nobody is unbeatable, and a right style on the right night can cause a load of trouble to any great fighter. Hell Sugar Ray Robinson lost fights in his prime. This is why I can't stand people on here totally disregarding a fighter's chance of losing. It can happen... if you fight long enough it WILL happen

Good point. Everybody can and will lose if they stick around long enough. The chances are greater if you are consistently fighting the best opposition. It doesnt matter how good you are, there is someone out there w/ the style to give you fits.
There are no exceptions.
"My belt says the heavyweight champ of the world!"(Wilder)
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)
Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

mekane wrote:
Mayz wrote:Unless the similarity between the Reid fight and Calzaghe fight is that you think Calzaghe may get injured again then there really isn't much to go at.

Reid was making Calzaghe miss and countering with right hands that couldn't seem to miss Calzaghe.

I don't see how Calzaghe was fighting stupid against Bika. He was clearly in control but he couldn't seem to land much on Bika without getting caught by counters.

I'm not saying Calzaghe is crap, lol. Merely pointing to a fight plan that Reid followed that gave Calzaghe problems and is one that Hopkins implements in all of his fights.
You don't see how Calzaghe was fighting stupid against Bika? He didn't want that fight and clearly didn't know much about Bika. He just went in there to brawl and knock out Bika to impress US TV. He was clowning way to much and wasn't willing to fight a controlled fight. Obviously Bikas style made that difficult but Joe could easily have just outboxed him all night. Maybe Joe will do the same against Hopkins, you get the feeling he doesn't have much respect for him after beating Kessler, but personally I think you really are clutching at straws if you are using that fight and the Ried fight as an example.

The problem really is that you aren't willing to admit Calzaghe is 'that' good. He can win fights with no gameplans and any style. We'll see how well Hopkins does, lets just not hear you make excuses for him after the fight.

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Mayz wrote: lets just not hear you make excuses for him after the fight.
Yeah like blaming the ref.
Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

Tommy wrote:
Yeah Tommy, Mr 'the ref was crap every time an aussie fights in England' :wink:

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Mayz wrote:
Tommy wrote:
I'm not preaching to people not to make excuses. :wink: Your hypocrisy has no shame.
Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

Tommy wrote:
Mayz wrote:
Tommy wrote: Yeah like blaming the ref.
I'm not preaching to people not to make excuses. :wink: Your hypocrisy has no shame.
I'm talking about excuses about the ability of the fighter. When you bang on about the reffing in England, most the time people just ignore you. :wink:

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Mayz wrote:
Tommy wrote:
Mayz wrote: Yeah Tommy, Mr 'the ref was crap every time an aussie fights in England' :wink:
I'm talking about excuses about the ability of the fighter. When you bang on about the reffing in England, most the time people just ignore you. :wink:
Most people agree but are too afraid to speak up cause you whine and get them banned. :wink:
Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

Tommy wrote:
Mayz wrote:
Tommy wrote: I'm not preaching to people not to make excuses. :wink: Your hypocrisy has no shame.
Most people agree but are too afraid to speak up cause you whine and get them banned. :wink:
Lol thats a pretty stupid thing to say since you're still here and you're the one who said it!

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Whatever you're nothing but a trouble maker here.
Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

Tommy wrote:Whatever you're nothing but a trouble maker here.
Once again Tommy, thats pretty silly comment after your 'ref attack' on me and all this banning nonsense.

kinggrissly

Post by kinggrissly »

Mayz wrote:You don't see how Calzaghe was fighting stupid against Bika? He didn't want that fight and clearly didn't know much about Bika.
Then why did he give up a belt to fight him in an optional defense in his HBO debut? I thought he looked fine, by the way, but I don't see why he fought him.
kinggrissly

Post by kinggrissly »

Mayz wrote:
Pride Of Wales wrote:
kinggrissly wrote:
Yeah exactly lol
Exactly what are you two morons talking about? Mayweather is #1 p4p, Kessler has never been on the list.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Mayz wrote:
Once again Tommy, thats pretty silly comment after your 'ref attack' on me and all this banning nonsense.
You of all people telling folk here to not make excuses is flaming at it's best. Nearly every debate you're involved in ends up in the pit what does that tell you?
I'm just sad good posters like Jillgas and Roadblock are gone while the village idiots you and Crimson run rampant here.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Tommy wrote:
So true. But hey don't forget that he takes nothing away from Mayweather's victory... :lol:
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."

Richard Dawkins
Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

Tommy wrote:
Mayz wrote:
You of all people telling folk here to not make excuses is flaming at it's best. Nearly every debate you're involved in ends up in the pit what does that tell you?
I'm just sad good posters like Jillgas and Roadblock are gone while the village idiots you and Crimson run rampant here.
Yeah Tommy, according to my search, you're actually in more thread in The Pit than me! Odd that hey! Don't worry, the mind can make up things when its upset like Mayz's threads always go to The Pit and Roadblock was a good poster. Delusion gets the best of us. :wink:

Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

kinggrissly wrote:
Mayz wrote:You don't see how Calzaghe was fighting stupid against Bika? He didn't want that fight and clearly didn't know much about Bika.
Then why did he give up a belt to fight him in an optional defense in his HBO debut? I thought he looked fine, by the way, but I don't see why he fought him.
Obviously Bika was chosen because Joe can box circles around him, but Joe decided to impress the US TV cameras instead of boxing clever. It's a major complement to Joe that you think he was fine when he fought a terrible fight btw.

Mayz
TTR Contributor

Post by Mayz »

Ben wrote:
Tommy wrote:
So true. But hey don't forget that he takes nothing away from Mayweather's victory... :lol:
Mayweather is a brilliant boxer, you're right.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Tommy wrote:
Mayz wrote:
Tommy wrote: I'm not preaching to people not to make excuses. :wink: Your hypocrisy has no shame.
I think it has more to do with the fac that people realised how useless arguing with Mayz is then being afraid. He bases everything he says on being a fan and can ignore or turn anything you say to his favor...there's never any rational reasoning for what he says unless something has been analyzed by Lurky previously.
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."

Richard Dawkins

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”