Who Won Pavlik vs Taylor II ?

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.

WHo Won Taylor vs Pavlik II?

You may select 1 option

View results

RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

Tommy wrote:I think what Lurk and Scap are saying is being overlooked. A fighter can win 12 very close rounds and win a closely fought contest 120-108.

Lmao. Thats an oxymoron. :lol:
scappoosejohn

Post by scappoosejohn »

RASTA666 wrote:
Tommy wrote:I think what Lurk and Scap are saying is being overlooked. A fighter can win 12 very close rounds and win a closely fought contest 120-108.

How is that Rasta? I don't follow.
"A champion, a true champion is to take on all capable challengers. A true champion defends his title, and looks for matches that pose a threat in order to prove to the world he deserves to be called the best of the best."
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

scappoosejohn wrote:
RASTA666 wrote:

How is that Rasta? I don't follow.

A close fight 120/108??
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

RASTA666 wrote:

Hey it's how the scoring system works and it has plenty of holes in it. A one sided round gets scored 10-9 and a close round gets scored 10-9.
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

Alright Tommy,alright. 120/108 is a close fight. 117/111 as a score in last nights fight is hilarious. I am not debating whether he won the fight.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

RASTA666 wrote:Alright Tommy,alright. 120/108 is a close fight. 117/111 as a score in last nights fight is hilarious. I am not debating whether he won the fight.
Whatever mate you're the scoring guru. Calzaghe dominated Kessler and Mayweather did not dominate Hatton. I bow down to your knowledge.
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

Tommy wrote:
RASTA666 wrote:Alright Tommy,alright. 120/108 is a close fight. 117/111 as a score in last nights fight is hilarious. I am not debating whether he won the fight.
Whatever mate you're the scoring guru. Calzaghe dominated Kessler and Mayweather did not dominate Hatton. I bow down to your knowledge.

Unbelievable. Awesome convo.
KSTAT124
TTR Rankings & Results Editor
TTR Rankings & Results Editor

Post by KSTAT124 »

Tommy wrote:
RASTA666 wrote:

Hey it's how the scoring system works and it has plenty of holes in it. A one sided round gets scored 10-9 and a close round gets scored 10-9.
To prevent this type of scoring, where close rounds and rounds that aren't very close but don't include a knockdown are scored 10-9, the WBA is experimenting with a system that has been used in Argentina for years- that's one that utilizes 1/2 points. Under it, a really close round would be scored 10-9 1/2. The WBA has not adopted this for world title bouts but is using it for regional title bouts. They are also experimenting with 9- and 11-round bouts depending on the regional title at stake.

Of course, if judges used the 10 point must system correctly, there would be no need for this.

It's funny. The WBA has used, many, many years ago, a 5-point must (like some states used to do) and a 20-point must (which is like using 1/2 points in a 10-point must system.

One of the knocks on the Argentine system is that too many fights end as draws. That's been a problem for at least the last 40 years.
pimparoni32

Post by pimparoni32 »

I think Taylor will be fine at 168. he has a good chin and he is fast. none of the top supermiddleweights have explosive power so he will be fine. I think his hand speed will give fighters like Bute and Kessler fits.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

KSTAT124 wrote:
Tommy wrote:
RASTA666 wrote:
To prevent this type of scoring, where close rounds and rounds that aren't very close but don't include a knockdown are scored 10-9, the WBA is experimenting with a system that has been used in Argentina for years- that's one that utilizes 1/2 points. Under it, a really close round would be scored 10-9 1/2. The WBA has not adopted this for world title bouts but is using it for regional title bouts. They are also experimenting with 9- and 11-round bouts depending on the regional title at stake.

Of course, if judges used the 10 point must system correctly, there would be no need for this.

It's funny. The WBA has used, many, many years ago, a 5-point must (like some states used to do) and a 20-point must (which is like using 1/2 points in a 10-point must system.

One of the knocks on the Argentine system is that too many fights end as draws. That's been a problem for at least the last 40 years.
They need to do something because the current system is very flawed. 1/2 points maybe the answer, who knows?

Cotto Mosley I scored 114 - 114 but felt Cotto clearly deserved the win.
With half points I would have scored it 116.5 - 114.5 Cotto and the right man wins.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

pimparoni32 wrote:I think Taylor will be fine at 168. he has a good chin and he is fast. none of the top supermiddleweights have explosive power so he will be fine. I think his hand speed will give fighters like Bute and Kessler fits.
Bute and Kessler hit pretty hard, Mundine and Froch's shots don't tickle either.
fightfanatic1
TTR Donator II

Post by fightfanatic1 »

i had Pavlik by clear decision.
It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
b0x1ng
TTR Contributor

Post by b0x1ng »

Just watched the fight and I scored it 115-113 for Pavlik. I think Jermain still kept his left hand low most of the time but jabbed better and kept himself off the ropes. He took too much time off but that's what actually enabled him go the distance. If he would had kept his workrate up, he would have gassed and gone down I think.

Good fight! Both guys showed a lot of heart and Taylor should be very proud.
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

I felt like Pavlik won b/c he was the busier fighter. There were times in which Taylor refused to thrown. Maybe he was tired or trying to reserve energy. Regardless to the outcome it was a a competitive fight in my opinion. 117/111 did seem odd like a few have already mentioned. Im okay w/ a 115/113 or 116/112 but that other judge stood out like a sore thumb.
"My belt says the heavyweight champ of the world!"(Wilder)
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”