Is PBC on the rocks?

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Canvas

Is PBC on the rocks?

Post by Canvas »

Does anyone else feel like PBC may be in trouble? Their roster is pretty inactive. Nearly all of their fights are on barely watched ppv's. They were dropped by Fox.

Now rumours are swirling that Showtime is going to be absorbed into Paramount+ and many low performing properties will be cancelled. I can't imagine boxing would continue on that platform. Does Haymon have another platform lined up, or does he maybe sell PBC?
KSTAT124
TTR Rankings & Results Editor
TTR Rankings & Results Editor

Re: Is PBC on the rocks?

Post by KSTAT124 »

I don't know what their long range plans are but they do have 4 cards scheduled. The first three (Feb. 11, Feb. 25, and March 4) will have bouts televised by Showtime while the fourth, headlined by Benavidez vs. Plant, is a Showtime Pay-Per-View on March 25.

I think you're right that if Showtime is absorbed by Paramount+, PBC will be up the proverbial creek without a paddle.
Based

Post by Based »

I have no idea why Showtime is still doing boxing. Their relationship with the PBC is a failure because of their weak match making, they created no stars for the PBC to grow. All their fighters are over paid babies who continue to cherry pick. Danny Garcia was crying in his last fight about being depressed in his mansion, but I dont see him in the ring vs anyone relevant. These guys choose their opponents, and it's hurt the sport and their label. The sad part if Showtime leaves boxing, fans get less fight cards, but this new coming era of boxers are going to be put in position to need to fight each other to make their money. Al Haymon conned investors to pay his fighters to fight bums. What a waste.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

I hope so
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Imo only showbox and huge ppvs will survive the paramount switch
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

IMO they keep boxing, PBC, Bellator, etc around because when they lose money it’s a tax write off for Viacom, which owns everything. They can afford to not make profits for them so they can write them off as losses to help balance out their bottom line.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”