RIP: Sal Bando

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

RIP: Sal Bando

Post by straycat »

Four time All Star third baseman and team captain of the 3 time World Champion Oakland A's. He played for The Milwaukee Brewers in the twilight of his playing days and eventually went on to serve as the teams GM.
Sal had been battling some form of cancer and succumbed today at the age of 78
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
KSTAT124
TTR Rankings & Results Editor

Re: RIP: Sal Bando

Post by KSTAT124 »

Bando had a good number of great years for the A's and a few good years for the Brewers before age took its toll. He was really a solid player as the fact that he received MVP votes after seven of the seasons he played for the A's attests.

Bando finished in the Top 5 for the AL MVP three times- #2 in 1971 (right behind his teammate Vida Blue who also won the AL Cy Young Award that season), #4 in '73 (another teammate, Reggie Jackson, finished 1st), and #3 in '74 (Jeff Burroughs of Texas won it with A's Joe Rudi, Bando, Jackson, and Catfish Hunter, who won the Cy Young that year, finishing 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th respectively).

R.I.P.
straycat
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Charlie O had one hell of a team in that era.
Grew up my teen years cheering on what at one time was called The Mustache Mob.
Sal, Campy Campaneris, Dick Green, where mainstay infielders, 1st basemen saw Mike Epstein and Gene Tenance and when Gene caught Mike Hegan and once in a blue moon Joe Rudi played 1st base.
FB_IMG_1674361365832.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
KSTAT124

Post by KSTAT124 »

That certainly was a great team. Excellent rotation- Hunter, Blue, Kenny Holtzman, Blue Moon Odom- and a helluva bullpen too- Rollie Fingers, Darold Knowles, Paul Lindblad!

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”