Jon Jones vs. Cyril Gane for UFC Heavyweight Title at UFC 285. Francis Ngannou Released

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
TheSickness316

Jon Jones vs. Cyril Gane for UFC Heavyweight Title at UFC 285. Francis Ngannou Released

Post by TheSickness316 »

So looks like Jon Jones is back and will be fighting for the UFC Heavyweight Title on March 4th at UFC 285, but it won't be against Francis Ngannou. Instead, it will be against Cyril Gane because the UFC couldn't reach a new agreement with Ngannou.

Ngannou was the UFC Heavyweight champion who was only under contract still because of the champions clause becasue he officially finished his contract in his last fight. According to Dana White, Ngannou was offered a contract that would've made him the highest paid Heavyweight in the history of the company. That means he would have made more than 2.5 million a fight considering that is what Brock Lesnar made at UFC 200 which is the highest any Heavyweight has been paid in the UFC. But according to Dana, he turned it down, and they're allowing him to leave, sign wherever he wants, and won't invoke their right to match the offer.

So Jon Jones is back after 3 years, yet they lose their current Heavyweight champion. What this does though is open the doors for a Tyson Fury vs. Francis Ngannou match that has been talked about.
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Re: Jon Jones vs. Cyril Gane for UFC Heavyweight Title at UFC 285. Francis Ngannou Released

Post by straycat »

Jones is Lt Heavy?
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
TheSickness316

Re: Jon Jones vs. Cyril Gane for UFC Heavyweight Title at UFC 285. Francis Ngannou Released

Post by TheSickness316 »

He was. But he's been out for 3 years getting his body in shape to make the move to heavyweight
straycat
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Gane lost to Ngannou correct?
Cyril is a two fisted train wreck.
That's quite a bit for Jones to try and evade.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Yes, Gane lost to Ngannou. That was Ngannou's last fight.
Based

Post by Based »

Ngannou should go to boxing to fight Fury in a circus show PPV, outside of that he will pay him more than the UFC?

Jones vs Gane is a good match up on paper.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Based wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:29 pm Ngannou should go to boxing to fight Fury in a circus show PPV, outside of that he will pay him more than the UFC?

Aside from the Fury fight, maybe a fight with Wilder? Could you imagine him vs. Wilder? But the most realistic answer is him vs. Fury since the 2 of them have put that out there.

But yeah, aside from a fight with Fury, I don't know where he's going to get all this money. I mean, Dana said the offer given to him would make him the highest paid Heavyweight in the history of the UFC; paid higher than Brock Lesnar. And Brock's last fight in the UFC was at UFC 200 nearly 7 years ago, and he made 2.5 million just to show up. And that doesn't include ppv points. So, I don't realistically see where he's getting that type of money.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

Jones also just signed a new 8 fight deal with the UFC.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Based

Post by Based »

TheSickness316 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:28 pm
Based wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:29 pm Ngannou should go to boxing to fight Fury in a circus show PPV, outside of that he will pay him more than the UFC?

Aside from the Fury fight, maybe a fight with Wilder? Could you imagine him vs. Wilder? But the most realistic answer is him vs. Fury since the 2 of them have put that out there.

But yeah, aside from a fight with Fury, I don't know where he's going to get all this money. I mean, Dana said the offer given to him would make him the highest paid Heavyweight in the history of the UFC; paid higher than Brock Lesnar. And Brock's last fight in the UFC was at UFC 200 nearly 7 years ago, and he made 2.5 million just to show up. And that doesn't include ppv points. So, I don't realistically see where he's getting that type of money.
Yeah I know Dana White was making a political statement about getting him paid more than Brock, and that was so long ago. The UFC has become so much bigger since then time, and now mix in the current inflation and it's really not all that much.

Ngannou does not have a lot of leverage as he is not sell big on PPV and is not American. Ngannou's only leverage with be if Jon Jones becomes the champ, fans are going to demand Jones vs Ngannou as Jones wouldnt be the real lineal champ if he beats Gane.

I also doubt Wilder would fight him. Maybe just Fury, because Fury will want him to get paid out in an exhibition fight. Wilder has Ruiz and AJ next it appears.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Based wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:29 am

Yeah I know Dana White was making a political statement about getting him paid more than Brock, and that was so long ago. The UFC has become so much bigger since then time, and now mix in the current inflation and it's really not all that much.

Ngannou does not have a lot of leverage as he is not sell big on PPV and is not American. Ngannou's only leverage with be if Jon Jones becomes the champ, fans are going to demand Jones vs Ngannou as Jones wouldnt be the real lineal champ if he beats Gane.

I also doubt Wilder would fight him. Maybe just Fury, because Fury will want him to get paid out in an exhibition fight. Wilder has Ruiz and AJ next it appears.
I mention Wilder because I think it's something sells. You're talking the biggest power punchers in their respective sports. Could you imagine the 2 of them throwing bombs at each other? I don't know how realistic it is, but I think it could be an intriguing option.
Based

Post by Based »

TheSickness316 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:04 pm

I mention Wilder because I think it's something sells. You're talking the biggest power punchers in their respective sports. Could you imagine the 2 of them throwing bombs at each other? I don't know how realistic it is, but I think it could be an intriguing option.
I do agree with you, that the fight with WIlder would sell, but Al Haymon has been hold out on fights. We didnt see Spence-Crawford, and now Tank-Garcia looks to be shaky. Something seems to be very off with Al Haymon and his company. Also, I read on twitter Tank vs Android PPV numbers were low.

Ngannuo also has a possible fight with Jake Paul. I think he smokes Jake Paul, and that fight would do more numbers than any UFC fight, including a Jones fights.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Based wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:14 pm
TheSickness316 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:04 pm

I do agree with you, that the fight with WIlder would sell, but Al Haymon has been hold out on fights. We didnt see Spence-Crawford, and now Tank-Garcia looks to be shaky. Something seems to be very off with Al Haymon and his company. Also, I read on twitter Tank vs Android PPV numbers were low.

Ngannuo also has a possible fight with Jake Paul. I think he smokes Jake Paul, and that fight would do more numbers than any UFC fight, including a Jones fights.
I don't think for 1 second a fight with Jake Paul would do more numbers than a fight against Jon Jones would.
Based

Post by Based »

I disagree. Jake Paul can do numbers if he's in there with a real threat. He'll have youtubbers and MMA fans buying that fight. On top of that, UFC wouldnt be getting a cut. Ngannou should do these circus show fights, and come back to the UFC, and the UFC wouldnt get their percentage in those fights with Paul and Fury. If those cant get done, than he's wasting his time by not signing the contract IMO
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Based wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:16 pm I disagree. Jake Paul can do numbers if he's in there with a real threat. He'll have youtubbers and MMA fans buying that fight. On top of that, UFC wouldnt be getting a cut. Ngannou should do these circus show fights, and come back to the UFC, and the UFC wouldnt get their percentage in those fights with Paul and Fury. If those cant get done, than he's wasting his time by not signing the contract IMO
Jake's fight with Anderson Silva at best did 300k. And his 2nd fight with Woodley apparently only did 65k. Jon Jones has done better numbers than that.

There's a reason why Jake has constantly kept bringing up people like Conor Mcgregor, Canelo, Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Francis stands no chance in a boxing match with any of the top 10 to 20 I’d say…..might make one big payday and I assume that is his goal in boxing….

I hope Gane KOS Jones with a body kick
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
Based

Post by Based »

TheSickness316 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:59 pm
Based wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:16 pm I disagree. Jake Paul can do numbers if he's in there with a real threat. He'll have youtubbers and MMA fans buying that fight. On top of that, UFC wouldnt be getting a cut. Ngannou should do these circus show fights, and come back to the UFC, and the UFC wouldnt get their percentage in those fights with Paul and Fury. If those cant get done, than he's wasting his time by not signing the contract IMO
Jake's fight with Anderson Silva at best did 300k. And his 2nd fight with Woodley apparently only did 65k. Jon Jones has done better numbers than that.

There's a reason why Jake has constantly kept bringing up people like Conor Mcgregor, Canelo, Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal
Paul's doing low numbers because he's not facing good opponents, and a lot of people will want to see Francis knock his head off to get their money's worth. I might even buy it lol

Francis vs Fury fight probably wont sell much because it wont even be a title fight, and Fury tend to be flaky with fights. He says he'll fight so and so, then give a demand, and when the demand is not met, he moves on. Francis is just in a bad position. He isnt like Connor McGregor where the UFC needs him. They may only need him to just fight Jones lol

I think there's no way Francis wont return to the UFC. He has very few option. Hopefully he doesnt pull a Winky Wright/Leveon bell with hi career.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

In an interview I read Francis turned down around $8M to fight Jones. This was an interview by Francis so you can’t really dispute what his pay would have been. He wanted other things in the contract negotiations and the UFC said no, so the talks broke down.

I asked for the right of a sponsorship, which we’ve been ripped of. We can’t have sponsorship. I asked for health insurance. (I) couldn’t have (it). I asked for a fighter advocate, somebody in the board meeting who will advocate for the fighters. I asked for that. I couldn’t have those stuffs that I asked for. I just wanted (them) to know that there is something that I do want. I also wanted them to think (about) that, at least in consideration. ”

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

IMO he’s going to have to go fight a big name in Boxing because he won’t get paid $8M from another organization to fight.

the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

ONEfc , PFL or BELLATOR can't produce 8M$ per fight...
Based

Post by Based »

Bareknockle boxing paid I think Chad Mendez 600k for his appearance on one of their events. Ngannou made 500K in his last UFC appearance. These other organizations would pay him more than his last contract with the UFC which I think he's salty about, but I believe the UFC was now giving him a fair offer, unless he does land these big boxing events. Fury called out Francis last night. It's also reported that Ngannou is also looking into a fight with Derek Chisora.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Based wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:19 am Bareknockle boxing paid I think Chad Mendez 600k for his appearance on one of their events. Ngannou made 500K in his last UFC appearance. These other organizations would pay him more than his last contract with the UFC which I think he's salty about, but I believe the UFC was now giving him a fair offer, unless he does land these big boxing events. Fury called out Francis last night. It's also reported that Ngannou is also looking into a fight with Derek Chisora.
His last fight he made $600,000 salary, $400,000 from the PPV buys (estimated), and $42,000 for his sponsorship.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”