SPENCE vs CRAWFORD

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

SPENCE vs CRAWFORD

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/ ... ht-october

At long last, Errol Spence Jr. and Terence Crawford are on the verge of a summit meeting at 147 pounds.

Spence, who holds three welterweight titles, and Crawford, owner of one 147-pound belt, are closing in on a deal for an October fight in Las Vegas for the undisputed welterweight championship, sources tell ESPN.

The boxers are still in negotiations and there is no agreement yet for the fight that would be presented by PBC on pay-per-view, sources said.

"I'm free to do whatever I want," Crawford, 34, told ESPN in late April. "There's nothing standing in the way from us fighting. There's no promotion company that's blocking it, there's no wrong side of the street, there's no nothing. Let's see who the best welterweight in the world is."

Crawford, ESPN's No. 1 pound-for-pound boxer, parted ways with his longtime promoter, Top Rank, following a 10th-round TKO of Shawn Porter in November. PBC, whom Spence is aligned with, rarely does business with other promoters. Now that Crawford is a free agent, the path is clear to make the super fight.

The sport's inability to deliver the fight has been a source of frustration among fans for years. But Crawford believes the matchup is "definitely ... bigger now."

Spence, ESPN's No. 3 pound-for-pound boxer, returned from surgery to repair a detached retina to score a 10th-round TKO of Yordenis Ugas in April. The 32-year-old from Desoto, Texas, was set to fight the legendary Manny Pacquiao in August but withdrew from the bout when it was discovered he required immediate surgery.

It was the second major setback of Spence's career after an October 2019 car crash hospitalized him.'

"Now everybody's saying that Errol's back and he's 100% ready. So now is the perfect time for me and him to fight," said Crawford, a native of Omaha, Nebraska. "He called me out, so it ain't no backing up."

Said Spence in April: "I want Terence Crawford; that's the fight that I want. That's the fight everybody else wants. ... Terence, I'm coming for that belt!"
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Tocsin

Re: Sources: Errol Spence Jr., Terence Crawford closing in on deal for a undisputed welterweight championship fight in O

Post by Tocsin »

Good, although it's one of those 'I'll believe it when they're in the ring' fights
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Re: Sources: Errol Spence Jr., Terence Crawford closing in on deal for a undisputed welterweight championship fight in O

Post by straycat »

Be great if they do it, nothing like the call to fight for it all. But ya so many times we get led around in circles by the dangling carrot. Have to see it to believe it.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Be great if they do it, nothing like the call to fight for it all. But ya so many times we get led around in circles by the dangling carrot. Have to see it to believe it.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
Based

Post by Based »

A lot of hype from hardcore boxing fans, but these dudes havent been in very many relevant fights for casuals to pay for this. I think it's gonna bomb on PPV. Good match up, but these guys over value themselves. Neither has sold particularly well on PPV. They both sell tickets in their hometowns tho.

I just hope its a great fight.
Primetyme199

Sources: Errol Spence Jr., Terence Crawford agree to terms for potential Nov. 19 megafight

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/ ... itle-fight

Errol Spence Jr. and Terence Crawford have agreed to all material terms for a fight for the undisputed welterweight championship, an event targeted for Nov. 19 in Las Vegas, multiple sources tell ESPN.

However, the deal has not been signed as the parties' lawyers clean up legal language in the agreement, per sources. Crawford, ESPN's No. 1 pound-for-pound boxer and top welterweight, acquiesced to all proposed financial terms from PBC creator Al Haymon, including the short end of a revenue split, sources said

The package includes a bilateral rematch clause that the loser will have the right to exercise, per source. If the rematch clause is triggered, the winner will earn the majority of revenue for the return bout, per sources.

The 147-pound summit meeting -- Spence holds the WBC, WBA and IBF titles while Crawford has the WBO belt -- will be presented as a co-promotion between Spence's Man Down Promotions and Crawford's TBC Promotions on PBC pay-per-view. High-powered attorney Jeffrey Spitz is representing the Haymon/Spence side as the contracts are being reviewed.

"I want Terence Crawford; that's the fight that I want," Spence, ESPN's No. 2 welterweight and No. 3 pound-for-pound boxer, said in April. "That's the fight everybody else wants. ... Terence, I'm coming for that belt!"

The 32-year-old from Desoto, Texas, returned from surgery to repair a detached retina to score a 10th-round TKO of Yordenis Ugas in April to capture a third belt. Spence (28-0, 22 KOs) was set to fight Manny Pacquiao in August but withdrew from the matchup because of the eye injury.

It was the second major setback of Spence's career after an October 2019 car crash hospitalized him.

"Now everybody's saying that Errol's back and he's 100 percent ready. So now is the perfect time for me and him to fight," Crawford, 34, told ESPN in April. "He called me out, so it ain't no backing up."

Crawford (38-0, 29 KOs) parted ways with his longtime promoter, Top Rank, following his November TKO victory over Shawn Porter that sent the challenger into retirement. The move paved the way for a deal; Haymon, who advises Spence, rarely does business with Top Rank. Now, Haymon is poised to deliver one of the biggest fights of this century, a coup for PBC after it was unable to retain boxing's biggest star, Canelo Alvarez, after only one fight.

"I'm free to do whatever I want," said Crawford, a three-division champion from Omaha, Nebraska. "There's nothing standing in the way from us fighting. There's no promotion company that's blocking it, there's no wrong side of the street, there's no nothing. Let's see who the best welterweight in the world is."
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
straycat

Re: Sources: Errol Spence Jr., Terence Crawford agree to terms for potential Nov. 19 megafight

Post by straycat »

Crawford gonna be needing some space for that extra bling bling 8)
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ObJuan13

Re: Sources: Errol Spence Jr., Terence Crawford agree to terms for potential Nov. 19 megafight

Post by ObJuan13 »

Might go to Vegas for this one
Based

Post by Based »

Finally, they waited long enough to fight. I don't even think they're not gonna do the numbers they expect to do, Bud doesnt sell and Spence's numbers are average on PPV. They also didnt really hype this fight up very well. Crawford was in a bunch of irrelevant fights over the years, and Spence stayed inactive since his car accident and has averaged one fight a year in the last 4 years. I'm picking Bud by KO if my money was on the line, but I'm rooting for Spence.

Crawford is about to turn 35 years old. How has he waited so long to fight a real challenge??? This is why I cannot root for him. The best guy on his resume is Gamboa.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Looks like a snag is in place over Crawford asking for transparency relating to agreeing to a lesser split with no guarantee.
Spence is turning into Princess AJ 2.0, and thats the truth.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
the13r
TTR

Re: Spence VS Crawford

Post by the13r »

Looks like it could be in july But Sho's Espinoza said rumor is false...
Based

Re: SPENCE vs CRAWFORD

Post by Based »

They should have announced this on Garcia vs Tank fight
the13r
TTR

Re: Crawford-Spence Agree To July Fight

Post by the13r »

I am still skeptical but if it happens, great fight for the sport with possible rematch (es).
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Still, no contracts signed.

Have we not heard this before?
Based

Post by Based »

Cagiva9 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:21 pm Still, no contracts signed.

Have we not heard this before?
This is how Al Haymon conducts business. I really cant wait for the day he leaves boxing. Anyways, he did the same thing wit Ryan Garcia and Tank Davis negotiations. The fight was not signed, but everything was almost agreed on until the end.

Winner might also fight Jermell Charlo, which makes no sense to me. Charlo has not even been in a fight for a year. Is he really going to go over year and a half without a fight? and Why cant Charlo fight Tszyu before even a potential super fight with the winner?

I think Spence and Crawford will only rematch if they sell a lot of PPV, because they are both guarenteed over 10 mil each, and if it's even close and good fight.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Canvas

Post by Canvas »

Based wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:41 pm A lot of hype from hardcore boxing fans, but these dudes havent been in very many relevant fights for casuals to pay for this. I think it's gonna bomb on PPV. Good match up, but these guys over value themselves. Neither has sold particularly well on PPV. They both sell tickets in their hometowns tho.

I just hope its a great fight.
I agree with you.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

I'm so sick of hearing about these Prima Donna non fighting motherfuckers.

I truly can't stand either of 'em at this point, and they play a big part in my just losing interest in Boxing entirely.

Whoever is trying to promote this fight. Should start offering them less and less money with each passing month. Because that's the reality. The longer it takes, the less we care.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

100% what you said Gil

I would have never imagined myself as a bigger MMA fan than boxing fan but here I am….
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

gilgamesh wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:32 am I'm so sick of hearing about these Prima Donna non fighting motherfuckers.

I truly can't stand either of 'em at this point, and they play a big part in my just losing interest in Boxing entirely.

Whoever is trying to promote this fight. Should start offering them less and less money with each passing month. Because that's the reality. The longer it takes, the less we care.
Haymon is the promoter. Oh, actually pardon me, that can't be right. We all know Haymon is only an advisor, and it would be a flagrant violation of the Ali Act for him to act as a manager and promoter :lol:.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess TGB or Mayweather promotions will be the 'promoter'.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Trick is to only pay attention to what goes on inside the ring. Still get frustrated about top fights happening but its part of the sports' complexity.

I too though have been losing interest in boxing and elite boxing... still enjoy club shows for wars, brawls, ktfos and that they fight for the good reasons.

Been getting back into mma (I was a hardcore mma fan 30 to 20yrs ago) and enjoy bkfc/byb and sumo now.
actionhound

Post by actionhound »

Well this is good to see, there is even an article on ESPN saying the fight is a done deal.

for the record, i believe Crawford wins this fight, but its not going to be an easy win...
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

And this is happening the same night as UFC 291 Poirier vs. Gaethje 2

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”