Not a big night for boxing

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
the13r
TTR

Not a big night for boxing

Post by the13r »

Benavides VS Garcia on Showtime. Is there a ufc? Most likely yes
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Re: Not a big night for boxing

Post by straycat »

Pena/Nunez rematch
Brandon Moreno is in the co-main.

Is Russel Jr fighting this weekend?
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

That's a really good Showtime card.

One of the undercard fights, In addition to fights with the Gary Antuanne Russel and Derevyanchenko, is Kownacki/Demirezen. Coming off 2 straight KO losses they are putting Adam in against a pretty decent puncher with a stout chin. I gotta wonder what they are thinking with that match. This might be Kownacki's swan song.
straycat

Post by straycat »

I'm looking forward to both events hope split screen holds up
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
Based

Post by Based »

the13r wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:46 am Benavides VS Garcia on Showtime. Is there a ufc? Most likely yes
Garcia v Benavidez would have been a big fight in 2015-16. Garcia overachieved, and Benavidez underachieved career wise. This is a cross roads fights for both. Two blown up welterweights at the end of their careers. Danny Garcia at this day in age is still cherry picking. Why not fight Boots or Ortiz??? I hope the PBC ends soon.

Amanda Nunes looked weight drained yesterday. She struggled to raise her arms to flex. I think she might lose again, as she looks to have grown out of the weight class but is killing herself to make the weight.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Nothing spectacular from the ufc undercards so far
straycat

Post by straycat »

Pena is one tough bitch
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
straycat

Post by straycat »

Pena is one tough bitch
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
straycat

Post by straycat »

Pena/Nunez III???
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
straycat

Post by straycat »

Good showing for Danny though 154 he gonna need to find some of his power if he wants to stick around.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
straycat

Post by straycat »

The stopage of Barthelemy was very premature IMO.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Ya, I really rate Gary Antuanne and he showed his talent again, but his last 2 stoppages have been way too early and it's like the ref is doing their best to keep his KO streak intact. In the Postol fight there was only 30 seconds left and Postol was slightly buzzed at worst.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Tocsin wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:00 am Ya, I really rate Gary Antuanne and he showed his talent again, but his last 2 stoppages have been way too early and it's like the ref is doing their best to keep his KO streak intact. In the Postol fight there was only 30 seconds left and Postol was slightly buzzed at worst.
I Have Felt the same way....
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

straycat wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:46 pm Pena/Nunez III???
No reason for a third fight, at least right now. Nunes is back to training and fired up again. She’s the much better fighter between the two and it showed. The last fight was just a hiccup, she wasn’t training, had a baby, and was caught up in her hype. The loss fired her back up and brought back everything.

Next in line for a title fight should be Ketlen Vieira.

Not sure how long Peña will be out either. She was taken to see a plastic surgeon right after the fight because she lost a chunk of her forehead.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
straycat

Post by straycat »

It was her mate that had the kid wasn't?
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

straycat wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:18 pm It was her mate that had the kid wasn't?
Yes

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
straycat

Post by straycat »

So that makes the just had a baby excuse kind of a moot point don't it?
Does Pena have the option to cite reasons as to why she might not of had the kind of night she would of liked too?
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

straycat wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:12 pm So that makes the just had a baby excuse kind of a moot point don't it?
Does Pena have the option to cite reasons as to why she might not of had the kind of night she would of liked too?
Not in any way shape or form does that make it a moot point. Did you do everything the same with the same intensity when you had children. I know for sure I didn’t. My focus was on the new baby. I took time off of work to be with my wife and newborn children each time.

The biggest excuse / reason is her corner was absolute shit. They thought they could try and brawl / make it an ugly fight like they did last time. They had no plan B when it didn’t work.

straycat

Post by straycat »

Agree, her success if any was on the mat, I will applaud Juliana for having the brawn to stand with Amanda and trade shots but eventually it was too much. Why is Amanda simultaneously recognized as a champ in two weight classes? Valentina is too small to complete against Amanda if you ask me.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
straycat

Post by straycat »

And I still was committed to branging home the bacon when both my sons was born. I was sure to spend time with them when I was home. I did turn down an out of town job when my first son was born. A job in S/Cali. I was working for the DOT when my youngest was born and working from refinery to refinery, company to company days was over.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

straycat wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:39 pm Agree, her success if any was on the mat, I will applaud Juliana for having the brawn to stand with Amanda and trade shots but eventually it was too much. Why is Amanda simultaneously recognized as a champ in two weight classes? Valentina is too small to complete against Amanda if you ask me.
She’s the Bantamweight and Featherweight champion. Valentina is a weight class under Bantamweight (Flyweight).

She won the Bantamweight title against Melissa Tate in 16, she won the Featherweight title against Cyborg in 18.

straycat

Post by straycat »

So instead of defending her feather, and letting Bantam go she fights valentina for her title or does Valentina move up and challenge for Amanda's lesser weight belt?
Still learning about the inner workings of this sport I guess. UFC is happy if she is on top no doubt.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

straycat wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:45 pm So instead of defending her feather, and letting Bantam go she fights valentina for her title or does Valentina move up and challenge for Amanda's lesser weight belt?
Still learning about the inner workings of this sport I guess. UFC is happy if she is on top no doubt.
If they fight Valentina would have to move up no way Amanda could make that lower weight.

They’ve fought twice, Val moved up and challenged her for the Bantamweight title and lost a split decision. A lot of people thought Val should have been given the decision. Their first fight was also at Bantamweight and Nunes won a unanimous decision.

straycat

Post by straycat »

So Nunes is defending her lesser class belt? How come she don't vacate and let someone else be champ? The Almighty Dollar rules the roost?
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”