July 2022 (Nagoya Basho)

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

July 2022 (Nagoya Basho)

Post by gilgamesh »

This marks the 2 year anniversary of my Sumo fandom. The man who won that 1st Tournament I saw play out Live (well ok, not live, but shortly after) was Terunofuji. Once again he's in the running after 7 days this go around.

This tournament is kinda all over the place.

We have the enigma Ozeki. Mediocre one minute, great the next Shodai who gets a win over the Tournament leader at this point with a win over Ichinojo. It drops Ichinojo to 6-1 while bumping Shodai to 3-4.

Ichinojo holds the top spot.

But right on his heels are no less than 7 Rikishi with a 5-2 record. The most formidable of these is of course the mighty Terunofuji.

Joining him in a tie for 2nd place after 7 days are Kotonowaka, Tobizaru, Nishikigi, Midorifuji, Ichiyamamoto, and Nishikifuji

I don't expect most of those guys to maintain their winning record enough to get the Yusho, but they are at least all well on their to a Kachi Koshi, and a rise up the ranks.

The pivotal Day 8 happens tomorrow. The halfway mark.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Re: July 2022 (Nagoya Basho)

Post by gilgamesh »

I was expecting yet another Yusho for Terunofuji coming into Day 15, but Ichinojo pulls it off this time, thanks in large part to Takakeisho who handed Terunofuji his 4th loss of the Tournament.

Not often you see somebody win the Yusho with a 12-3 record, but that's the way the cookie crumbled this time.

Enho got his Kachi Koshi down in the Juryo division, Ryuden won the Juryo division and will be returning to the Makuuchi division next time out.

That's the news on the Sumo end this time around.

Not that anyone cares lol.
kewlmodee

Re: July 2022 (Nagoya Basho)

Post by kewlmodee »

It was an exciting tournament, but a lot of wrestlers had to withdraw because of Covid.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”