How do we revive this site

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
ObJuan13

How do we revive this site

Post by ObJuan13 »

Let’s cut the bullshit… the site is dying. I love this place but post rarely because it could literally take hours to get a response to even a topical of the moment post…

Astor, if it’s money for an upgrade to bring this place up to date and make it something like the robust version of the old ESPN boxing board then lay the numbers out there publicly and I’d be willing to put some money up so long as it’s realistic

Or is it just that boxing is in a bad place and people care less? Is there anything we can do to bring this place back to life?
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Re: How do we revive this site

Post by straycat »

I gather there still some lurking and such but sometimes topics turn south with the crowd who prefer contradiction over conversation.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Which is ok in that bouncing opinions around is what forum is about
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
kewlmodee

Post by kewlmodee »

I don't post a lot, but I check in almost daily. I'm willing to try and contribute more.
USMILMAN
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion

Post by USMILMAN »

I love this site. I wish I was able to get on more, but life got in the way. Lol. It is starting to slow back down so I will get on more. Work, school, retired from the military, moved, etc etc etc.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Thx for your service Millie
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

The right fights happening in a timely manner would help a lot…..more activity from posters who frequent daily but just lurk would spur more people to post when they do visit and see the activity…..I’m guilty myself of visiting numerous time a day but not posting much lately
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

keep that thread going!

I will give my opinion once Most have commented
Based

Post by Based »

It's still the best place to see full fights, watch highlights and live event updates. I really appreciate this place. I do wish it was more active.

I see Hills and JJ here still, and I remember them from the ESPN days. That was like over 10 years ago damn,
dwightmac83

Post by dwightmac83 »

Better fights will definitely help. I haven't watched as much boxing one because I can't stay up as late but also I get tired of hearing about fights getting made instead of boxers fighting on social media. But these past few months there have been some good match ups. I'm also guilty of getting on here everyday but I don't post
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

dwightmac83 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:19 pm Better fights will definitely help. I haven't watched as much boxing one because I can't stay up as late but also I get tired of hearing about fights getting made instead of boxers fighting on social media. But these past few months there have been some good match ups. I'm also guilty of getting on here everyday but I don't post
How’ve you been Dwight, how’s the family?

You still coaching?
dwightmac83

Post by dwightmac83 »

ObJuan13 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:48 am
dwightmac83 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:19 pm Better fights will definitely help. I haven't watched as much boxing one because I can't stay up as late but also I get tired of hearing about fights getting made instead of boxers fighting on social media. But these past few months there have been some good match ups. I'm also guilty of getting on here everyday but I don't post
How’ve you been Dwight, how’s the family?

You still coaching?
We are doing great. Yes sir still coaching and my son has gotten into sports now so I stay at the gym or ball field every weekend
dwightmac83

Post by dwightmac83 »

Juan hope all is well with you and your family as well
Pangloss

Post by Pangloss »

Bring back RimmyJice.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Pangloss wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:37 pm Bring back RimmyJice.
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=135163&p=1869724&hilit

I remember NoProp had accused me of being him......and then posted a 'If he dies, he dies' gif when it was learned he was sick :roll:
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

How about stench?
straycat

Post by straycat »

the13r wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:29 pm
How about stench?
That would be great then his post count could return. The Working Man's thread lost a lot of luster when his contributions disappeared.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
Pangloss

Post by Pangloss »

the13r wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:29 pm
How about stench?
lakerlegacy1

Post by lakerlegacy1 »

I lurk daily. What's big now is social media. A YouTube presence is essential. What use to be posted as topics on message boards is now discussed by vloggers on youtube. YouTube comment sections is where all the boxing discussions are currently. Might be time to evolve.
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

For years now, I have posted off and on. I like chatting live during fights in the living room more than I do posting in the forums, but it's because I don't have a lot of time to think through what I am going to post. I have found that when I try to post quickly, it doesn't quite come out like I mean it. I know what I mean - but other people don't necessarily. It frustrates me when that happens, so I shut up for a while afterwards. Sometimes 'a while' is a year or so. Not on purpose, but I don't feel the urge to put something out there.

Regarding the chatting, the last time I tried to get into the living room, I feel like I had an alternate place to watch and didn't have the chat available to me. Watching fights with friends is what I miss and what I enjoyed most about boxing previously. For a long time, i got that from this site and I haven't gotten that over the past few years - that isn't a criticism of the site at all, though - that is about me and my time to get on and my 'hit and miss' feelings about things leading up to and during the pandemic.

I freely admit that I am not the boxing fan that I once was. I still enjoy intriguing matchups, but there isn't a May/Pac bout out there that I am really anxious to see. Crawford/Spence is as close as I get to that, and that isn't very close.

So- back to the original question - the extroverted (at least 'internet extroverted' if not IRL) personalities that used to fuel this place are not replacing themselves. Underweartaker, Mekane, Burrowz, Chef, Daniel Kim, Woobase, Phank, Duder, Gris and plenty of others (not leaving anyone out on purpose - just have seen others here more recently) are not being replaced by people who are similar in terms of creating topics or stirring things up. Pangloss, whether or not it is true that there is an alter-ego to you or not, there was an element to things that you posted that brought different energy here - more so if the other handle really was you. In a good way - it was interesting and not the same surface level thinking with obvious statements that some of us fall into.

Those that are here more frequently and are less likely to be the 'hit and miss' posters are not seeing the same energy in the responses as in past years - which is usually when I used to see someone say 'whee can we get new blood to come in' and there would be other boards that some would be members of and we would invite people to come in. There were verying degrees of success about that from what I saw.

Some of you guys are trying and I can see that - I am sorry that I don't contribute more than I do, because you guys definitely put in an effort to invite participation. Again, this is a boxing board and it is sad that the world is such that it is hard for me (sometimes) to give my brain a break and just sit and enjoy a good contest more often. And I would love to debate more 'who wins and why' type of topics more often.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
lakerlegacy1

Post by lakerlegacy1 »

On a positive note, it is 5am now and site shows 58 people currently online. So it does/is generating traffic.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Just a guy wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:37 am For years now, I have posted off and on. I like chatting live during fights in the living room more than I do posting in the forums, but it's because I don't have a lot of time to think through what I am going to post. I have found that when I try to post quickly, it doesn't quite come out like I mean it. I know what I mean - but other people don't necessarily. It frustrates me when that happens, so I shut up for a while afterwards. Sometimes 'a while' is a year or so. Not on purpose, but I don't feel the urge to put something out there.

Regarding the chatting, the last time I tried to get into the living room, I feel like I had an alternate place to watch and didn't have the chat available to me. Watching fights with friends is what I miss and what I enjoyed most about boxing previously. For a long time, i got that from this site and I haven't gotten that over the past few years - that isn't a criticism of the site at all, though - that is about me and my time to get on and my 'hit and miss' feelings about things leading up to and during the pandemic.

I freely admit that I am not the boxing fan that I once was. I still enjoy intriguing matchups, but there isn't a May/Pac bout out there that I am really anxious to see. Crawford/Spence is as close as I get to that, and that isn't very close.

So- back to the original question - the extroverted (at least 'internet extroverted' if not IRL) personalities that used to fuel this place are not replacing themselves. Underweartaker, Mekane, Burrowz, Chef, Daniel Kim, Woobase, Phank, Duder, Gris and plenty of others (not leaving anyone out on purpose - just have seen others here more recently) are not being replaced by people who are similar in terms of creating topics or stirring things up. Pangloss, whether or not it is true that there is an alter-ego to you or not, there was an element to things that you posted that brought different energy here - more so if the other handle really was you. In a good way - it was interesting and not the same surface level thinking with obvious statements that some of us fall into.

Those that are here more frequently and are less likely to be the 'hit and miss' posters are not seeing the same energy in the responses as in past years - which is usually when I used to see someone say 'whee can we get new blood to come in' and there would be other boards that some would be members of and we would invite people to come in. There were verying degrees of success about that from what I saw.

Some of you guys are trying and I can see that - I am sorry that I don't contribute more than I do, because you guys definitely put in an effort to invite participation. Again, this is a boxing board and it is sad that the world is such that it is hard for me (sometimes) to give my brain a break and just sit and enjoy a good contest more often. And I would love to debate more 'who wins and why' type of topics more often.
JAG
Some OT topics would be great, as long as they ain't too blatantly political. I need to find Deadly Things thread bout curbing weight. Sadly I'm trying to move away from being closer to where I began then what I wound up at. 267 this morning, I'm be experiencing my knees acting up again if I don't get serious about this.
😖😖😖😖
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

Stray, I feel you - I wish I could say that I kept up the work that I had done prior to the pandemic during the pandemic. A bit before, a few things in my life went sideways and I let stress get to me - and then got really inactive during the pandmic. I haven't picked up to my same activity level since, partially because I haven't gotten back out to a gym. I keep saying that I will and then another week goes by. We will see what happens this weekend.

And you are right - the OT subjects are fun - the fully political are hard to manage emotions around and bleed over, so I agree that it is just too hard to have those conversations and keep them productive. Other sports, other stuff, funny stuff - all good. I haven't spoken to it, but some of what has been happening in the NBA Finals is awesome and it is a good year to be watching. The NHL always has good stories, though not my favorite sport. I have also been watching the electric car thread because I will be in the market for a new vehicle within the next year and I have contemplated whether I wanted to take that leap.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Sport is a total joke

I used to watch literally every fight possible. I cared enough to watch 1 this year

We had a great group. Fun times. The forum activity nosedived when politics stopped being discussed (i never partook but a lot of people did)
straycat

Post by straycat »

Jag
Sad the price of a gallon of gas is higher than it's ever been, along with food prices and rent. I can see why some considerations would be given to an electric vehicle.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”