May 2022 Sumo Basho (Natsu Basho)

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

May 2022 Sumo Basho (Natsu Basho)

Post by gilgamesh »

It would seem Tamawashi has Terunofuji's number. That's 3 Tournaments in a row he's beaten the great Yokozuna.

Aoiyama is currently leading after 6 days being the only one remaining with an unbeaten record so far. I'd be very surprised if he maintains that form enough to actually win the Tournament, but he's already doing far, far better than usual.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Re: May 2022 Sumo Basho (Natsu Basho)

Post by Primetyme199 »

gilgamesh wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:45 pm It would seem Tamawashi has Terunofuji's number. That's 3 Tournaments in a row he's beaten the great Yokozuna.

Aoiyama is currently leading after 6 days being the only one remaining with an unbeaten record so far. I'd be very surprised if he maintains that form enough to actually win the Tournament, but he's already doing far, far better than usual.
I was just about to start this thread.

Some good sumo so far this tournament. I agree about Aoiyama, once he starts going against the higher ranks he’s going to lose.

Leaders after day 6

6-0
Aoiyama

5-1
Tamawashi
Tobizaru
Sadanoumi
Ichiyamamoto
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Aoiyama vs Sadanoumi tomorrow.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

I'm glad we're finally getting a Tournament where all of the higher ranked guys Ozeki and Yokozuna are healthy and in this thing.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Of course Shodai as usual seems to be doing his one tournament off, one tournament on thing lol. This time he's off.

Of course he started off shitty last time and managed a winning record when he needed to. He always seems to be doing JUST ENOUGH to maintain his Ozeki ranking.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Aoiyama leading, and already 2+ on all the sanyaku rikishi, but I can't see him pulling it off.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Aoiyama leading, and already 2+ on all the sanyaku rikishi, but I can't see him pulling it off.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

It'd be a stunner if he does. He's generally nowhere near the running. If I were a betting man though I'd bet heavily against it. Even if he's 10-0 I'd still bet against it.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

gilgamesh wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:36 am Of course Shodai as usual seems to be doing his one tournament off, one tournament on thing lol. This time he's off.

Of course he started off shitty last time and managed a winning record when he needed to. He always seems to be doing JUST ENOUGH to maintain his Ozeki ranking.

Shodai looks like he doesn’t care or want to be there, he lost again.

My two fighters aren’t doing that well either Takakeisho is 4-3 and Wakatakakage is 3-4

Down goes Aoiyama.

Oho and Yutakayama had a good match, they were slapping the shit out of each other’s faces.

Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Aoiyama Loses 2 in a row now.

Wakatakakage having a terrible tournament at 3-5 now.

Takakeisho seems to be getting his footing now and is at 5-3.

Hoshoryu got screwed against Shodai imo, it looked to me like he should have won.

Takanosho beats Terunofuji

Leaders after Day 8
All rank and filers in the lead
6-2
Tamawashi
Takanosho
Aoiyama
Sadanoumi
Ichiyamamoto

gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Interesting Tournament so far. Still several people in the running to win this thing after 9 days. Surprised to see all of the Ozeki's and Terunofuji not on the Leaderboard.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

It's a weird tournament. Very unusual to have no sanyaku rikishi doing better than 6-3, yet that's just 1 off the leading pace at the moment.

We could get a rare 11-4 makuuchi yusho, the last one was 5 years ago and the one before that was 26 years ago.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Ura wins with Katasukashi today. You don't see much of that one.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

So after 10 days your leaders are Takanosho and Ichiyamamoto both with an 8-2 record.

I don't see either of them ultimately winning the Basho. I suspect one of the men in 2nd place which is currently a 5 way tie between Terunofuji, Kiribayama, Ura, Aioyama and Sadanaoumi who all have a 7-2 record.

I suspect either Terunofuji, Kiribayama or Ura will ultimately rise up as the cream of this here crop, But it's truly been a tournament of surprises so who knows.

All of the Ozeki are definitely out of the running of having any kinda shot at a Yusho. Hell they're all struggling for Kachi Koshi for that matter.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Tocsin wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:02 pm It's a weird tournament. Very unusual to have no sanyaku rikishi doing better than 6-3, yet that's just 1 off the leading pace at the moment.

We could get a rare 11-4 makuuchi yusho, the last one was 5 years ago and the one before that was 26 years ago.
Maegashira you mean? I thought Daiesho was Maegashira last year when he won it?
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

I mean the last time anyone won the top division tournament with just 11 wins was 5 years ago. A lot of the time 11-4 isn't even good enough to be runner-up.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Shodai is "The Enigma" of Sumo. Lousy one match, Excellent the next. Now today he won in a somewhat flukish manner, but nevertheless he escaped with a win in a Tournament where he's done bad so far, and this guy beat Terunofuji. Shodai inconsistent as ever, but he's consistent in his inconsistency.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

So a result on today's show got me wondering. Are the Gyoji's (Referees) allowed to declare a Toranaoshi (Draw) or is that only something the judges can do? Because anytime I've seen it come up it's always that the Gyoji picked a winner, and it was decided to be a draw by the judges.

Forcing the ref to pick a winner in those kinda situations where it's almost indecipherable to the naked eye is pretty tough. I think they get it right MOST of the time though.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

The gyoji have to pick a winner, then it's up to the shimpan to call the monoii and make the final decision. There are also guys in a video booth who watch the replays and give them input to help with the call.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Terunofuji wins yet another one. I started watching Sumo in July 2020, and have watched every Top Division tournament since. I've seen several guys win it once. I've only seen one guy win more than once, that was Terunofuji. And since July 2020, I'm pretty sure this makes his 6th Yusho. So it's safe to say he's most definitely worthy of his status in the sport.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”