CRAWFORD stopped PORTER

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
the13r
TTR

Re: IYO Who wins CRAWFORD vs PORTER ? •Live@6pm•

Post by the13r »

Canvas wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:18 am Porter's Dad threw in the towel way too quickly there I thought.

edit add: Porter was doing great but got reckless over extrending himself lunging, and Crawford easily timed him
That lunging was due to his stamina diminishing... the speed and timing difference was pretty big too and it got accentuated as Porter seem to lose his stamina
the13r
TTR

Re: CRAWFORD stopped PORTER

Post by the13r »

Crawford stopped Porter
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

Porter wasn't hurt though. They were glancing blows that caught him off balance. I'm talking about the second knock down. Don't know what Kenny was seeing there. I thought he deserved to finish out the round.
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

Yeah, he threw in the towel a little too quick. He didnt look hurt. It happens sometimes when the father is in the corner.
Porter was doing fine.
BadlyBrowned
______

Post by BadlyBrowned »

his pops was within his rights to stop the fight, but I think Porter deserved to go out how he wanted to go out because he was giving Crawford issues... and upon replay he was mainly caught off balance not very hurt. Maybe he was getting weaker, but we'll never know for sure
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

LOL's Spence headed for the exit like his team was getting blown out.
If he fights Bud his ass will be Spent.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

mannymac wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:29 am Yeah, he threw in the towel a little too quick. He didnt look hurt. It happens sometimes when the father is in the corner.
Porter was doing fine.
Doing fine is a bit of an overstatement but it did seem like he should have been allowed to continue. I think Porter would have been stopped for real though in short order had it continued.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

I had it even after 6, but Porter clearly lost steam in the second half and I had Bud up 5-3-1 at the time of the stoppage - the official scores of 6-3 and 5-4 x2 look pretty good. He was clearly beginning to break Porter down, but I was still surprised the towel came in. Porter looked more mad than hurt.

Overall, I enjoyed the fight and Crawford got a nice result, doing a better job on Porter than Spence did.
Tocsin

Re: IYO Who wins CRAWFORD vs PORTER ? •Live@6pm•

Post by Tocsin »

the13r wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:24 am
Canvas wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:18 am Porter's Dad threw in the towel way too quickly there I thought.

edit add: Porter was doing great but got reckless over extrending himself lunging, and Crawford easily timed him
That lunging was due to his stamina diminishing... the speed and timing difference was pretty big too and it got accentuated as Porter seem to lose his stamina
Ya agree. Porter losing energy changed the fight - it made his rushes slower and sloppier, and allowed Crawford's timing to take over. In the first half he'd brought enough speed and intensity to throw Craw off his rhythm in a number of rounds.

Crawford is very much a 12 round fighter. Starts a bit slow but heats up and takes control progressively.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Canvas

Post by Canvas »

Porter had to lunge. He was the shorter fighter. Shorter torso, shorter arms. Fighting a fast, skilled all around fighter. The problem was he lost control and got reckless. Anyway, it was a competitive fight with a shitty ending. Big win for Crawford.
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

Man, I was having a good time watching this fight until the dad threw in the towel. Ruined the ending for me. Porter did what I expected him to do. I knew Crawford wasn't gonna just blow him out early like some speculated. In fact, Porter was winning, imo.
Good win by Crawford. Maybe he was on his way to win by ko anyway. We will never know now. The ending was ruined. Porter didnt look hurt to me. He looked frustrated with himself.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

He wasn't going down for fun. He got caught with good shots and was clearly tiring at that point. I was surprised it was stopped too, but I doubt he would've won another round and I suspect he would've hit the canvas again. Crawford always becomes more successful the longer fights go.
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

Hopefully we get Spence-Crawford next. Crawford fought his first major fight and looked human. Let's make it happen next year!
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Bud's a free agent, hope he signs with PBC as that's the most likely path to the Spence fight. heard that Bud was dissing Arum hard in the post-fight presser, which is a good sign.

Also, Porter announced his retirement.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Good fight. Props to Crawford. Didn't like the way it ended. Hated Kenny Porter, throwing his son under the bus after the fight.
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:22 pm Good fight. Props to Crawford. Didn't like the way it ended. Hated Kenny Porter, throwing his son under the bus after the fight.

Yeah, that was fucked up.
So he stopped the fight to prove a point?
A championship fight?
That was messed up.
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

I'm skeptical Porter's retirement will stick. What if Godfather Al phones and offer 3 million bucks to fight a Thurman rematch? Winnable crossroads fight... and who couldn't use an extra million bucks in the retirement portfolio?

I hope Porter does retire. He fought everyone. Best resume in boxing after Canelo.
Last edited by Canvas on Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

Not much that I can say that others didn't.

Kenny Porter just... why? I can understand the stoppage. but I am struggling to understand what you said afterwards.

Good effort for Porter and he doesn't need to be done, in my opinion. That said, he takes some brutal shots with his style and he gives as good as he gets... and if this payday allows him to be at ringside making enough money broadcasting that he doesn't have to take those types of shots anymore, I am all for it. I've nothing bad to say at all about Shawn Porter, regardless of what his decisions is regarding his career.

Regarding Crawford... I have to respect the work that he did. Porter didn't fight him just for a payday - that was a fight that could have gone either way for a while. Crawford fought a really good, tough fight and improved as the fight went on.

Spence's reaction was interesting... I'm not sure what to read into that, if anything.

I expected that Crawford would come out on top, and I am glad that we got this consolation if Crawford can't get Spence in the ring... this fight more than delivered, even if the stakes were not quite as high and the outcome didn't feel as up in the air as a Spence/Crawford should. Better than I thought, honestly, in that Porter seemed to often be giving Crawford all he could handle.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
straycat
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Just a guy wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:16 pm Not much that I can say that others didn't.

Kenny Porter just... why? I can understand the stoppage. but I am struggling to understand what you said afterwards.

Good effort for Porter and he doesn't need to be done, in my opinion. That said, he takes some brutal shots with his style and he gives as good as he gets... and if this payday allows him to be at ringside making enough money broadcasting that he doesn't have to take those types of shots anymore, I am all for it. I've nothing bad to say at all about Shawn Porter, regardless of what his decisions is regarding his career.

Regarding Crawford... I have to respect the work that he did. Porter didn't fight him just for a payday - that was a fight that could have gone either way for a while. Crawford fought a really good, tough fight and improved as the fight went on.

Spence's reaction was interesting... I'm not sure what to read into that, if anything.

I expected that Crawford would come out on top, and I am glad that we got this consolation if Crawford can't get Spence in the ring... this fight more than delivered, even if the stakes were not quite as high and the outcome didn't feel as up in the air as a Spence/Crawford should. Better than I thought, honestly, in that Porter seemed to often be giving Crawford all he could handle.
Would of been interesting if Shawn had opted to look for spots to load up on his shots, you knew the energy he was putting out was gonna eventually wane on his endurance and stamina. I always thought all along that Bud could best Spence. Bud and shown better examples of dealing with adversity in fights and nullifying his opponents ability to control the action.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

Canvas wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:32 pm I'm skeptical Porter's retirement will stick. What if Godfather Al phones and offer 3 million bucks to fight a Thurman rematch? Winnable crossroads fight... and who couldn't use an extra million bucks in the retirement portfolio?

I hope Porter does retire. He fought everyone. Best resume in boxing after Canelo.
I doubt he stays retired. He can still make good money fighting one of the newcomers at welterweight.
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

And spence got up and left because he didn't lile the way the fight ended, just like everyone else.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

mannymac wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:54 am And spence got up and left because he didn't lile the way the fight ended, just like everyone else.
We boxing fans are a rather bloodthirsty lot. It's impossible to deny that the ending was less than satisfying but I think the chances were less than 50/50 that Porter was going to finish that round without being brutally stopped. The chances of him finishing the fight smaller than that, obviously, and of finding a way to win, near zero.

I can kinda sympathize with Kenny Porter's actions, though not so much his post fight comments.
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

Cagiva9 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:53 am
mannymac wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:54 am And spence got up and left because he didn't lile the way the fight ended, just like everyone else.
We boxing fans are a rather bloodthirsty lot. It's impossible to deny that the ending was less than satisfying but I think the chances were less than 50/50 that Porter was going to finish that round without being brutally stopped. The chances of him finishing the fight smaller than that, obviously, and of finding a way to win, near zero.

I can kinda sympathize with Kenny Porter's actions, though not so much his post fight comments.
I don't agree with his actions at all.

There are multiple levels/gears these boxers have. And fights are fought at a certain pace.

You watch a fight and it's kinda ho-hum. You know the type, where you never really truly get to see how deep a fighter can dig to stay in the fight.

And then there are others that make you say "whoa, there's some real drama and history being made here".

We never got to that point because the father didn't want to risk seeing his son get hurt. In 99% of any other fight, it continues.

Who knows, maybe Porter shows his mettle and returns landed punches which turns this into one for the ages or...he get's knocked out.

Regardless, Porter's old man deprived his son (and the boxing fans) the right to find that out.

Porter ended his career on a whimper. Many will say it's not his fault, his father is his trainer and stopped it.

Well...if you want to pull yourself up from the mat after being knocked down and walk through the fire, you might want to make sure you've got someone in your corner that won't throw in the towel at the first sign of adversity.

The elder Porter didn't do his son any favours on Saturday other than the son being able to use his old man's actions as an excuse to make an ill-advised comeback which I'm sure we'll see a couple of years down the line.
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

Agree with Stray that I thought Crawford would outlast Porter, but I honestly wasn't sure that it was going to be as competitive.

What I see Cagiva saying is that he can kinda sympathize with Kenny Porter's actions - and I can understand why the stoppage. I agree that you can tell when a fighter is done - and I didn't think that Shawn was done. However, I also didn't see a lot that told me the fight was going to go any differently than it was - Shawn could have been hurt more and he is not a huge puncher that can turn things around with one punch. Crawford saw the finish line and he has upped his energy to get there quickly.

Were we robbed of a potentially spectacular finish to the fight because Porter turned things around? Maybe. But I think that we more likley were robbed of a spectacular knockout.

What I do agree with is that there was emotion there for Kenny Porter that might have been absent if that wasn't his son. There was clearly something else going on that we are not privy to from camp. I also agree that this isn't how I want to remember Porter's career... it almost defies who the guy is.

Porter punched the mat in frustration before getting up - a bit wobbly, but basically steady on his feet. He answered right away that he wanted to continue fighting and his head seemed clear. Most of us would not have stopped that fight - I think we would agree with that. However, that doesn't mean to me that Kenny Porter is wrong for doing so.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”