Ryan Garcia's comeback bout could come this fall against Joseph Diaz Jr., sources say

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
dwightmac83

Ryan Garcia's comeback bout could come this fall against Joseph Diaz Jr., sources say

Post by dwightmac83 »

Ryan Garcia has resumed training after a sabbatical to address his mental health, and his return fight is already being planned.

That comeback bout could come this fall against Joseph Diaz Jr., multiple sources told ESPN. It will be a clash of Mexican Americans from Southern California. The fight, if finalized, could land at Staples Center in Los Angeles, where the event would undoubtedly be a major draw. The potential matchup is in the discussion stages.

"I'm going to take him to a place he's never been before, physically and mentally," Diaz (32-1-1, 15 KOs) told ESPN. "Ryan Garcia, I feel like he's a very talented fighter but he's never been in the ring with the guys I've been in the ring with: some warriors trying to take your head off, not guys I'm going to put on a highlight reel.

"If this fight doesn't get made, it's not on my end -- it's on theirs."

Both fighters are promoted by Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions, a company based in Los Angeles. Garcia boasts nearly 9 million followers on Instagram and is a proven box-office draw, having attracted sizable crowds in Southern California and Texas. The Garcia fight, in particular, would perform well commercially given Diaz's fan-friendly fighting style and his penchant for antagonizing opponents.

Garcia, ESPN's No. 4 lightweight boxer, was scheduled to fight Javier Fortuna on July 9 but withdrew so he could focus on his mental health. The 22-year-old has been open about his experiences with anxiety and depression.

When Garcia (21-0, 18 KOs) pulled out, Diaz immediately lobbied to step in and fight Fortuna, then one of ESPN's top-10 lightweights. Diaz, a former champion at 130 pounds, moved up to 135 for the opportunity and turned in a career-best performance with a unanimous-decision victory.

The 2012 Olympian looked stronger and more fit at 135 pounds after struggling to make the 130-pound limit. The 28-year-old was stripped of the title ahead of his February defense vs. Shavkatdzhon Rakhimov; Diaz weighed 133.5 pounds for that matchup.

His other title challenge came at 126 pounds against Gary Russell Jr., in 2018. Russell remains ESPN's top featherweight. Diaz entered ESPN's 135-pound rankings at No. 7 with the Fortuna win.

"He's been fighting guys a lot smaller than him and I feel like with me, he'll have the height advantage, but as far as physical body strength, I might be even stronger," said Diaz, who at 5-foot-6, is 4 inches shorter. "If not, we'll both be the same. He's going to feel my power in there."

A fight between Garcia and Diaz would be the most high-profile of each boxer's career. Garcia, long one of boxing's best prospects with his blend of incredible hand speed and powerful left hook, broke through with a knockout of Olympic gold medalist Luke Campbell in January.

But Garcia has never faced a former champion; never faced a fighter the caliber of Diaz, a southpaw brimming with confidence following his own best victory.

Diaz applies nonstop pressure and has shown tremendous guts, fighting through a nasty gash over his left eye to topple Tevin Farmer for the title in January 2020. Diaz, too, suffered a cut over that left eye this month, but again, the wound didn't seem to affect him.

The cut required three stitches so he won't be available to fight until October.

"I think I'll stop Ryan in the later rounds," Diaz predicted. "My pressure and body shots will be too much for him. He'll be feeling my shots and trying to hold and hug but I think my overwhelmingness will be one of the keys to victory.

"Whatever Ryan Garcia wants to bring to the table -- if he thinks he wants to knock me out or does that pull hook that he does -- it's not going to work. ... Whatever he tries to do inside that ring, I'll be ready."
lakerlegacy1

Re: Ryan Garcia's comeback bout could come this fall against Joseph Diaz Jr., sources say

Post by lakerlegacy1 »

Haney predicted Jojo Diaz would duck him when he called Ryan Garcia's name after his WBC mandatory challenger fight with Fortuna.
Tocsin

Re: Ryan Garcia's comeback bout could come this fall against Joseph Diaz Jr., sources say

Post by Tocsin »

Not sure I'd call fighting Garcia instead of Haney a duck. It's a similar level opponent but a bigger fight due to Garcia's profile and both being popular in Southern California. Diaz would be the underdog vs Garcia, it's not like he'd be fighting a soft touch.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Good fight for Ryan Garcia if it happens.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Diaz is a good match for anyone at lightweight. I’m actually surprised Garcia’s camp would be considering such a tough fight after a self imposed layoff.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Cagiva9 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:27 am Diaz is a good match for anyone at lightweight. I’m actually surprised Garcia’s camp would be considering such a tough fight after a self imposed layoff.
my Thoughts aswell
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

I thought Garcia was going to lose to Fortuna, and Jo-Jo obviously proved he's better than Fortuna. If this fight comes off, I see Garcia taking an L.

And if Garcia is the favorite, that's only because of popularity, and not because of inside the ring accomplishments. It would be a great bet for gamblers though.
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

lakerlegacy1 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:22 pm Haney predicted Jojo Diaz would duck him when he called Ryan Garcia's name after his WBC mandatory challenger fight with Fortuna.

He called out both Garcia and Haney.
I just heard Jo Jo talking with Haney's dad and Jo Jo said that there is no fight between he and Garcia. That he wants to fight Haney.
lakerlegacy1

Post by lakerlegacy1 »

I heard the same interview. Many have questioned Haney's resume (boxers especially). Haney has been very vocal for quite sometime heralding "they say EVERYTHING but let's fight." Hoping the fight gets made
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

Yeah, I expect them to fight. Haney will probably win but JoJo has a puncher's chance. Not because he hits harder than Haney, but because Haney's chin is weaker and he takes a while to recover from being hurt.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:15 pm I thought Garcia was going to lose to Fortuna, and Jo-Jo obviously proved he's better than Fortuna. If this fight comes off, I see Garcia taking an L.

And if Garcia is the favorite, that's only because of popularity, and not because of inside the ring accomplishments. It would be a great bet for gamblers though.
Diaz surprised vs. Fortuna for sure. 135 looks like it may be his weight class.

Garcia needs to keep his ass off social media, realize being a fighter is what got him so popular, bite down on his mouth guard and get his ass back in the ring. The kid's problems are a byproduct of the times we reside. For the most part, nothing, but ultra insecure, "please notice me!" bastards with no substance. He needs a Poppa Trinidad in his corner to give him a swift smack and send him out for the next round.
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

Hopefully neither of them get hurt feelings in the lead up to the fight. This generation seems to have very fragile mental health.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”