De La Hoya vs. Belfort No Longer an Exhibition, Heads To Staples Center

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

De La Hoya vs. Belfort No Longer an Exhibition, Heads To Staples Center

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.boxingscene.com/de-la-hoya- ... er--159280

Triller Fight Club has officially announced that Oscar De La Hoya's comeback is no longer an exhibition and has now become an actual sanctioned fight.

De La Hoya, a former six division world champion, will return to the ring against MMA legend Vitor Belfort on September 11. The fight has been set for the eight round distance at light heavyweight.

The fight was initially pegged to take place in Las Vegas, but will now head over to the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.

“It’s truly an honor to be able to announce this highly anticipated event featuring the return to the boxing ring of Oscar De La Hoya against MMA legend Vitor Belfort on Saturday, September 11,” said Triller Fight Club’s Ryan Kavanaugh.

“The STAPLES Center, one of the premier sports and entertainment venues in the world, is the perfect location for this fight and we’re excited to return there for another monumental night of boxing.”

The event will be broadcast globally on FITE.TV, and through all leading cable, satellite and telco providers in the U.S. and Canada via iNDemand, it was announced today by Triller Fight Club.

“I’m very excited to announce my comeback against Vitor Belfort at STAPLES Center on Saturday, September 11 in a mega-event celebrating Mexican Independence Day,” said De La Hoya.

“Triller Fight Club and My team have been working together to bring the most epic event boxing has seen in a long time. I decided if I was coming back it was for real, none of this exhibition stuff. Two warriors, one walks out the other doesn’t. Vitor Belfort is clearly a very tough MMA legend and while I’m sure he will give me a good run, a knockout is in my plan.”

“This isn’t that WWE theatrics we’ve been seeing in boxing lately, this is the real deal, a real fight with real knockouts for a real win. This is not to be missed as I’m in better shape than I was 15 years ago.”

Returning to lead the broadcast commentary will be entertainment icon Snoop Dogg who will be joined by HBO legend Jim Lampley.

“Oscar De La Hoya is a true superstar in the boxing world and one of the greatest and most popular fighters of our time,” said Belfort.

“While we both have a great deal of respect for each other’s accomplishments, on September 11, I will make my MMA fans proud to show that MMA and ex-UFC fighters can take down even the best boxer in the world. I hope I don’t end up killing him but everything is on the table. This is a no holds barred, all out gladiator fight to the bitter end”.

De La Hoya, who is the CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, has been out of the ring since 2008, when he suffered a stoppage loss at the hands of Manny Pacquiao
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Re: De La Hoya vs. Belfort No Longer an Exhibition, Heads To Staples Center

Post by gilgamesh »

Probably a 50/50 fight at this point
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

I wont be surprised if Oscar gets his ass kicked. He should not be fighting.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

All of Belfort’s recent losses have been by KO and TKO, he’s like 1-5-1 in his last 7. The one NC was originally a TKO loss but his opponent tested positive for pot so it was changed to a NC.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”