Boxing News Takes Stance Against Sanctioning Bodies' Titles/Joins With TBRB

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
KSTAT124
TTR Rankings & Results Editor

Boxing News Takes Stance Against Sanctioning Bodies' Titles/Joins With TBRB

Post by KSTAT124 »

https://www.boxingnewsonline.net/no-mor ... ance-here/

The timing of this coincides with what will be TTR's new policy. I had reached my limit when Gervonta Davis won his third WBA "world" title and, on the heals of that, WBA president Gilberto Mendoza stated that the NBA (the WBA's predecessor) had sanctioned the first world title bout in the "history" of boxing when it sanctioned the Dempsey-Carpentier bout in 1921.

Starting next week, there will be a distinct difference the way results are listed. Sanctioning bodies' rankings will not be included and sanctioning bodies' titles will be reduced to "footnotes", that is, they will listed in the notes beneath the bouts rather than being listed prominently above the bouts as they are now. The only rankings that will be used are ours, the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board's, and The Ring's.

For those of you who want to peruse sanctioning bodies' rankings, links will remain in the "BOXING ORGANIZATIONS RANKINGS" section and I will post notices when the various sanctioning bodies update their rankings. I will refrain from commenting on those rankings unless there is something especially egregious that merits scrutiny.
Last edited by KSTAT124 on Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
the13r
TTR

Re: Boxing News Takes Stance Against Sanctioning Bodies' Titles/Joins With TBRB

Post by the13r »

NICE!!!

Thank you Ken!
KSTAT124

Post by KSTAT124 »

the13r wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:51 pm NICE!!!

Thank you Ken!
You're welcome. I've been thinking about making these changes for a very long time. They're overdue. I've already made some adjustments. One is in the way we're listing Champions and title claimants. Only lineal champions are listed as champions. All other beltholders are title claimants no matter how many belts they may have in their possession.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Damn right. If Boxing won't clean up itself it's up to the fans to acknowledge the truth as we see it, and start calling out the bullshit of the title orgs. There's 1 Champion, not 4, not 2. ONE!!!!
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

TBRB and to a lesser extent Ring Magazine are the only rankings I recognize. Been that way for years. The WBC and the WBA are the absolute worst.
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

The abhorrent WBC decided to sanction JoJo Diaz vs Fortuna for the interim title. What a joke.

Devin Haney is healthy and just made a defense of the title against a credible opponent. Plus you have the president of the WBC referring to Teo Lopez as undisputed.

What a complete farce.

This is why we need the TBRB.
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

Change has to start somewhere. I thought there was something wrong with me when I was kid, as I couldn't quite grasp why Larry Holmes was called the IBF Heavyweight Champion of the World and not just the Heavyweight Champion of the World. By the August 87 I understood that there was the WBA, WBC and IBF sanctioning bodies and poor HBO was always talking unification fights. Then in 89 I remember Doug Dewitt fought someone for the WBO Super Middleweight Title and Barry Thompkins saying the title had been vacate for about 50 years. Dewitt later commented that he was making $10k a fight before he won the WBO belt and then $100k after he won it. I thought to myself thinking the WBO is garbage and will never gain traction. I also thought that the WBA and WBC would remain legitimate rates organizations. Boy was I wrong. It was time to do away with these sanctioning bodies in the 80's.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”