TANK stopped BARRIOS in Atlanta

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
TopNotch86

Re: TANK stopped BARRIOS in Atlanta

Post by TopNotch86 »

Tocsin wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:30 pm He was definitely having more trouble landing counters than usual. When he was hanging back and boxing he rarely landed clean and fell short most of the time. I think 140 isn't the right weight for him, though obviously he can still beat secondary guys.

But at 135 or 130, he can be the best.
And plenty of great fights at those weights for him with loma garcia and teo
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Those are the best fights for him.

I think I'd pick him against Loma, Haney, Garcia (he'd do something brutal to Garcia I think). Teo is about 50-50, though if pushed I might go with Tank there too. If he takes on the best at 140, I think he'd lose though.

I hope his next one is a top guy and not a secondary title type of cherry pick.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Yes indeed. It's time for him to fight a true megafight. He's a major star in Boxing, he gets a lot of hype and attention when he fights, and he's fucking prime. The time is now for a big fight, and he has no shortage of options. Haney, Loma, Teo, Josh Taylor, Prograis...any one of those guys would be a major fight. I'd be happy with any of them.
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

Damn good fight. Barrios came to win. Even after the two knockdowns, I thought Barrios was winning the fight. Tank looked like he out punched himself for a second trying to knock him out in the 8th. But he showed grit coming forward and finally landed that nice body shot. Very entertaining fight.
I dont know how well Davis fares against the other champions at 140, but I sure would like to see.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

I love Tank… think he’s the best in his grouping (you know the guys I’m talking about)
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

If they keep it in house, as they've done for Tank lately, there aren't many interesting options for him next. Looking at the PBC roster, my guess would be Russell, Easter, or Fortuna if he beats Diaz for the interim WBC. Russell is the biggest name of those and his ability is well respected, if Tank can't make 130 again I could see GR moving up since he's overdue for a big fight.

The 140 jump seems like a temporary thing and I doubt he's fighting Prograis or anyone at that level. If he does stick around, the next most notable PBC affiliated guy might by Subriel Matias, who is offensively dangerous but rather open at times -- that would be a good one.

What about Broner?
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

I think he can settle in nicely at 135. He kept his speed and power at 140 and looked good for the most part, but i think hes just too short. He adjusted nicely though and started pressing forward to get inside more. Seems to have a solid beard at the higher weight as he ate some shots from barrios well. Tanks the real deal at 130-135 i think hea also the man to beat at both those weights. Him vs teo would he nice but him vs ryan is the $$$ fight
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Floyd's said they won't be matching Tank with anyone outside PBC ....because 'we're not here to make other fighters great'

So don't hold your breath on Teo, Loma, Garcia, Haney, etc.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

I'll tell you one thing about last night: They need to ban Floyd from running amok around the ring. Him giving advice to Tank, going from corner to corner, needs to be stopped. He's not a trainer, not a doctor, not a ringside official....he needs to sit his annoying ass down somewhere(in his assigned seat). If any of us were too do that...we'd be arrested and dragged out of the arena.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:01 pm I'll tell you one thing about last night: They need to ban Floyd from running amok around the ring. Him giving advice to Tank, going from corner to corner, needs to be stopped. He's not a trainer, not a doctor, not a ringside official....he needs to sit his annoying ass down somewhere(in his assigned seat). If any of us were too do that...we'd be arrested and dragged out of the arena.
Ya I noticed that as well. Basically allowed to do whatever he wanted.
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:01 pm I'll tell you one thing about last night: They need to ban Floyd from running amok around the ring. Him giving advice to Tank, going from corner to corner, needs to be stopped. He's not a trainer, not a doctor, not a ringside official....he needs to sit his annoying ass down somewhere(in his assigned seat). If any of us were too do that...we'd be arrested and dragged out of the arena.
Shit was annoying and distracting for Davis, although only Davis can confirm that. It was just annoying to watch the entire corner just stop whatever they were doing and turning their heads to look at Floyd because Floyd had something to say. Ridiculous.
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

The only thing I didn't like about the interview is the part where he was asked what he was gonna do next. He said something like:"we're taking it a step at a time". Your'e 26 years old. You'll be 27 later this year. You need to step up and fight the top dogs at 135 or 140. Don't turn into another Charlo or Andrade who are in their 30's and never did shit. Hell, Spence and Crawford are in their 30's and haven't fought each other yet.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

I agree with this....He Does it for most of the Fighters in his Gym...
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

mannymac wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:05 pm The only thing I didn't like about the interview is the part where he was asked what he was gonna do next. He said something like:"we're taking it a step at a time". Your'e 26 years old. You'll be 27 later this year. You need to step up and fight the top dogs at 135 or 140. Don't turn into another Charlo or Andrade who are in their 30's and never did shit. Hell, Spence and Crawford are in their 30's and haven't fought each other yet.
They've been banging on about how young Tank is since he first came on the scene. He's going on 27, he's still young, but there's a younger generation of champs who are 3-4 years younger. He's not 'just a baby' anymore.

But my issue is more that they're saying PBC only opponents. That cuts out the top opponents at 130, 135, and 140. He's shown the type of talent where we gotta see him in with the elite.
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

Yeah, I heard you. If his team doesn't want him to fight them dudes, that's one thing. But Davis should be calling those other champions out whenever theres a mic in his face.
Teo Lopez fought Lomachenko on his 16 pro fight at the age of 23. He's annoying to listen to, but he seems to be willing to fight the fights.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Tocsin wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:59 pm Floyd's said they won't be matching Tank with anyone outside PBC ....because 'we're not here to make other fighters great'

So don't hold your breath on Teo, Loma, Garcia, Haney, etc.
How stupid and lame…

Fight the big fights and make yourself great AND rich… smh
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Exactly....he would win all of those too IMO (though Teo is a close one)
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

I think hell fight garcia because thats a huge money fight. Ryans probably equal in drawing power and revenue brought in. They can get that deal done. He wont be fighting non draws outside pbc no matter how compelling the fight is sadly
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Tank is one of the most exciting fighters in the game. It's time to fight a real champ at 130 or 135. It's been time.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”