USYK defeated JOSHUA

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.

Who wins?

You may select 1 option

View results

Tocsin

Re: USYK defeated JOSHUA

Post by Tocsin »

I wish immediate rematch clauses would go to hell by the way.

Fury pounds Wilder, Usyk dominates AJ, and instead of fighting each other they're going to just go over old ground.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Tocsin wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:36 pm I think choke kinda implies that a guy should've won, but he underperformed due to pressure. But watching that, I'm not sure Joshua giving his best performance could beat Usyk. The movement and boxing skills, along with the stamina, were all wrong for him, and really showed his weaknesses.

I thought AJ would beat Ruiz in the rematch, because AJ was caught rushing in wildly in the first fight when he had the ability to win comfortably using a more intelligent approach, but it's more of a struggle to see how he could reverse the Usyk loss
Technically speaking, if you're the #1 or #2 heavyweight in all the world, I think it would be fair to assume that people think he should have won. But my point of choking isn't thinking he should have won. He seems to do fine when that big money fight isn't on the horizon. I think he just freezes. It's right there for him, but he just can't seem to grab it.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Choke takes away from the performance Usyk put on….He did everything right to win tonight and was a step ahead of Joshua all the way….this isn’t like when Joshua got caught by Ruiz…..Choke is Morrison vs Michael Bennett
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

marciano1952 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:49 pm Choke takes away from the performance Usyk put on….He did everything right to win tonight and was a step ahead of Joshua all the way….this isn’t like when Joshua got caught by Ruiz…..Choke is Morrison vs Michael Bennett
Choking doesn't take anything away from him.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

the13r wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:50 pm

actionhound

Post by actionhound »

TheSickness316 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:40 pm So Joshua choked again
He didn't choke, Joshua is a good fighter but I've always said he has plenty of holes in his game. He is not a top tier destroyer type fighter. It takes a solid fighter to beat him but he is no world beater.

I rank him around the same as Frank Bruno (I know you guys are going to nail me to the wall about this). A very talented fighter but not someone who will have a long reign.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Can definitely see the similarities to Bruno, with the stiffness to their movements and muscle-bound physiques. Although Bruno's reign lasted 1 fight and he never successfully defended his title, whereas AJ has won many title fights, so they are different in that respect. AJ has a pretty good resume, with wins over Wlad, Whyte, Parker, Povetkin, Pulev, Breazeale, Takam, Martin, and also avenging the Ruiz loss.

That's up there with pretty much any HW of the last decade and it's not like he was a flash in the pan, but you can see that he's not the natural, at home in the ring type of boxer that the great HWs are.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Best performance of the year in boxing from the Ukraine great. With respect to Mr. Glen Johnson, Usyk is The Road Warrior and once again elevated his game when it mattered most in enemy territory. Carried the big brit fast early, winning the rounds and setting a precedent as to what was to come with beautiful footwork and an array of different shots and combinations from varying angles. The new champion's desire, dedication to craft and need to prove himself against the best should be followed by all aspiring greats.

Props to Joshua for the adjustments he made mid fight, but he and his team were not prepared for the formula that Oleksandr and Papa Lomachenko had concocted. He's lucky that he finished the fight on his feet(with an assist from a friendly bell ending the fight seconds before it should have) as he had absolutely nothing left in the tank in the 12th. If AJ is wise, he steps back, let's the eye heal, packs on the muscle and comes up with a more intelligent game plan for any future rematch. If Fury beats Wilder again as expected, believe he will be putting his 265 plus pounds on Usyk's smaller frame every clinch he gets in between exchanges. That's the next fight up and hopefully, for everyone involved, Joshua's eye socket will be the reason for.
Last edited by NoPropaganda 253 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Wow what a great perfomance by Usyk! AJ fought his heart out but was out worked and out smarted... Thanks for posting the full fight Astor as I watched the fight this morning with coffee and a doober...

WAR BOXING!!!
Chef
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

Spectacular performance from Usyk! Just watched it this morning in my motel room. Thanks for posting the replays Astor. The foreign language one was excellent. That was a very high level fight.

Looking at the weigh in pictures, I though Usyk had grown in to the weight better than the previous fight. AJ looked like a greek god as usual, but was slimming down the right move? I don't know. It seemed like Joshua gave up some of his size and power advantages. It's easy for me to question these things from my easy chair vantage point after a loss.

I am really impressed by AJ. He continually pushes himself to do things the hard way. He decided to engage in a technical boxing match against one of the great boxers in the world today. It was probably the wrong strategy, but that is a discussion for another day.

I was perplexed by AJ's lack of body punching, that was a very serious omission in my opinion. It may be time to bring in a different head trainer.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Very few heavyweights, especially tall ones, are committed to body punching.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Agree not a lot of them at the top body punching... Ruiz is probably the best but wont use the body work in some of his toughest fights... Takam ain't bad either but is so limited. Big Baby Miller with Ruiz are the best though.

In fighting is a rarity now at HW and body punching often comes with it...
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

it was about 10 to 3 for Joshua in the poll before the fight started BTW
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

the13r wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:53 pm it was about 10 to 3 for Joshua in the poll before the fight started BTW
was just about to post the same thing
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Lack of body punching hurt, but the strategy to attempt to outbox Usyk and test his stamina, considering AJ's size and history alongside Usyk's, have to be one of the stupidest game plans I've seen in years. Can't sugarcoat that and definitely don't respect the misplaced arrogance. Reminded me of Hagler vs. Sugar Ray when Marv came out orthodox and tried to outbox Ray early, but more idiotic as Hagler had the good sense to turn back to southpaw. If AJ ever had a chance vs. Usyk, that sure wasn't it. What he is, however, is one of the classier boxers in defeat and that may lead to an open mind to go along with changes that could assist in a rematch. Have to respect that.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

lol^
actionhound

Post by actionhound »

I knew Usyk would win. Joshua was shook to his core when Andy beat him in the slugfest... I knew he would try to outbox Usyk and anyone who knew how good Usyk was would know that wouldn't happen.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

Usyk is a bad man
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

yeah since he announced his move at HW... i knew he coukd best them all... he himself is his biggest enemy imo.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”