Is Juan Manuel Marquez the most exciting fighter of the last 20 years?

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
ObJuan13

Is Juan Manuel Marquez the most exciting fighter of the last 20 years?

Post by ObJuan13 »

Dude was rarely in a fight that wasn’t extremely exciting or intriguing... had a unique flowy, offensive style...

Thoughts?
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Re: Is Juan Manuel Marquez the most exciting fighter of the last 20 years?

Post by marciano1952 »

no doubt he should be up there.....I recall the first time i watched him fight i was in near amazement vs Juarez in 07.....I was new to boxing and Juarez had just had close fights with MAB

For Me Carl Froch has been the most exciting Career iv Watched unfold from Prospect to Retirement.....He had 1 dual fight that i recall vs Dirrell......This is Partly because i was a Major fan of his but rarely did the fights disappoint Pascal, Kessler x2, Groves x2, Brian Magee, Taylor, etc.....The Groves and Taylor Fights were Particularly high in Drama/excitement....The Bute fight was one of the Most Shocking/satisfying Moments aswell as when he dominated Abe....HOF Career after being a Career Underdog for the most part in the big fights...
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

He's on the list most definitely. Shit, I could watch him work a double end and be entertained. Beautiful combinations and sits down on everything
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Definitely not. He had some really exciting wars, but he had some stinkers too.

I think the most consistently entertaining fighter of the last 20 years or so I ever saw was Miguel Cotto or maybe Carl Froch.
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

Most exciting fighter? LOL.

Has anyone seen a JMM fight from 1993 to mid-2006?

He was constantly slammed for being boring and not even remotely exciting or interesting.

He changed his style in late 2006, pretty sure it was the Jimrex Jaca fight. I think it was on HBO and in his post-fight interview he said from here on out he's going to make a concerted effort to be more exciting and make for more entertaining fights, and he did just that.

But...he was very well known and famous for turning down big purses against top opposition to fight no-names for little money. He had a non-existent fanbase. You have to be pretty damn boring to be a champion from Mexico and have no fans. He managed that somewhat impossible feat.

Yes, he ended up in some very good fights at the tail end of his career (Pac, Barrera etc.) but he had some blunders too. Turning down big money to fight and lose to Chris John for peanuts in an Indonesian parking lot is the most well known.
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Manny gave him chance after chance but after putting him to sleep he wouldn’t return the favor.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

JMM was a very good counter puncher but I like guys that think offense first...
Chef
kewlmodee

Post by kewlmodee »

Orlando Salido. Between 2011 and 2016 he was in 6 fight of the year candidates.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Most exciting fighter? LOL.

Has anyone seen a JMM fight from 1993 to mid-2006?

He was constantly slammed for being boring and not even remotely exciting or interesting.

He changed his style in late 2006, pretty sure it was the Jimrex Jaca fight. I think it was on HBO and in his post-fight interview he said from here on out he's going to make a concerted effort to be more exciting and make for more entertaining fights, and he did just that.

But...he was very well known and famous for turning down big purses against top opposition to fight no-names for little money. He had a non-existent fanbase. You have to be pretty damn boring to be a champion from Mexico and have no fans. He managed that somewhat impossible feat.

Yes, he ended up in some very good fights at the tail end of his career (Pac, Barrera etc.) but he had some blunders too. Turning down big money to fight and lose to Chris John for peanuts in an Indonesian parking lot is the most well known.
LOL... That's a bit harsh on JMM. Funny, but a bit harsh.

Now you're correct that JMM wasn't the most exciting fighter, for a good stretch of his early career. And he did indeed make some puzzling career decisions. Totally in agreement with you on those points.

But once he made the effort to be more offensive, he gave us some of the best fights of the modern era. Of course we know about the Manny fights, each one of those was exciting. But the Juan Diaz fight was one of the best fights of the last 15 years or so. That was a straight war. The Katsidis, Juarez, and Casamayor fights were good too. And the Barrera fight was an underrated gem as well.

Was he the most exciting? Probably not, but he damn sure was worth watching, and gave us some memorable fights.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

No.
Pacquiao is

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”