Shakur Stevenson intends to demand Oscar Valdez fight next

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Shakur Stevenson intends to demand Oscar Valdez fight next

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.badlefthook.com/2021/6/10/2 ... -news-2021

During a video interview captured by ESPN, Shakur Stevenson — who is scheduled to fight Jeremia Nakathila this weekend — reasserts that Oscar Valdez is the fight he wants next, saying he fully intends to call out Valdez on television as well as immediately approach his Top Rank promoter to get the fight made.

“I’m willing to get right back in the ring,” said Stevenson. “I’m saying this on camera, make sure this goes somewhere and put it out somewhere. I’m willing to get back in the ring September, October — whatever time Valdez is ready to fight, I’m ready to fight. I think that’s a big fight, he ain’t got no fight date coming up, he don’t got nothing that’s in the way of me and him fighting so I think that it gotta happen next.

“I’m going right to Top Rank, I’m going on TV, I’m calling him out — it’s directly, be prepared. After that fight I’m going to Top Rank, I’m gonna sit down, and whatever they got to say they gonna say but I’m gonna tell them for a fact that me and Valdez need to happen next. Get Valdez on the phone, whatever they gotta do, I’m ready to fight, ain’t nothing else to it.”
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
KSTAT124
TTR Rankings & Results Editor

Re: Shakur Stevenson intends to demand Oscar Valdez fight next

Post by KSTAT124 »

Stevenson isn't in a position to "demand" a fight with Valdez. He can ask for one but he can't "demand" one.

He's fighting for the vacant WBO Interim World junior lightweight title. If he wins, as expected, he can rightfully demand a bout with Jamel Herring, the WBO World junior lightweight champ. Valdez holds the WBC title at 130 and is not obligated to fight Stevenson.

Stevenson had a nice amateur career culminating in his winning a Silver Medal at the 2016 Olympics. As a pro, he's 15-0. He won the vacant WBO title at 126 after Valdez relinquished it to campaign at 130. After a scheduled defense was canceled due to the pandemic, Stevenson, instead of re-scheduling it, opted to move up to 130. He's 2-0 as a junior lightweight, having beaten two unranked fighters- Felix Caraballo, a decent featherweight prospect who moved up to 130 for their bout, and Toka Kahn Clary, a former junior lightweight prospect who became a featherweight contender before moving back to the junior lightweight division.

Valdez won the then vacant WBO World featherweight title after Vasiliy Lomacheno moved up to 130. Valdez made six successful defenses before moving up in weight. He scored wins over late substitute Adam Lopez (in a WBC eliminator) and veteran Jayson Velez before challenging champion Miguel Berchelt for the WBC belt. He won the belt by KOing Berchelt in February.

He's now 29-0, 8-0 in world title bouts, and 3-0 against fighters who have held world titles (Evgeny Gradovich, Scott Quigg, and Berchelt).
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

KSTAT124 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:47 pm Stevenson isn't in a position to "demand" a fight with Valdez. He can ask for one but he can't "demand" one.

He's fighting for the vacant WBO Interim World junior lightweight title. If he wins, as expected, he can rightfully demand a bout with Jamel Herring, the WBO World junior lightweight champ. Valdez holds the WBC title at 130 and is not obligated to fight Stevenson.

Stevenson had a nice amateur career culminating in his winning a Silver Medal at the 2016 Olympics. As a pro, he's 15-0. He won the vacant WBO title at 126 after Valdez relinquished it to campaign at 130. After a scheduled defense was canceled due to the pandemic, Stevenson, instead of re-scheduling it, opted to move up to 130. He's 2-0 as a junior lightweight, having beaten two unranked fighters- Felix Caraballo, a decent featherweight prospect who moved up to 130 for their bout, and Toka Kahn Clary, a former junior lightweight prospect who became a featherweight contender before moving back to the junior lightweight division.

Valdez won the then vacant WBO World featherweight title after Vasiliy Lomacheno moved up to 130. Valdez made six successful defenses before moving up in weight. He scored wins over late substitute Adam Lopez (in a WBC eliminator) and veteran Jayson Velez before challenging champion Miguel Berchelt for the WBC belt. He won the belt by KOing Berchelt in February.

He's now 29-0, 8-0 in world title bouts, and 3-0 against fighters who have held world titles (Evgeny Gradovich, Scott Quigg, and Berchelt).
Ya beat me to it with the first line here.

Valdez definitely has more credibility at the moment than Stevenson.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

"Excuse me, Mr. Arum, kind sir, but if it wouldn't be too much of a bother, I would truly appreciate your consideration of a possible bout between Mr. Valdez and I, at your convenience of course."

Did anyone read the actual quote or just the headline? Nothing wrong with what the young man stated. Considering the way fighters are moved in this tepid, watered down era of competitive boxing and the way stable and camp mate Crawford has not been secured meaningful fights at 147 by Top Rank, he should get even louder. Demand away young gun.
KSTAT124

Post by KSTAT124 »

If Stevenson wanted to force the issue, he should have fought in a WBC eliminator rather than fight for the WBO Interim title. If he beats Nakathila, he'll be entitled to a shot at Herring. He can scream that he wants Valdez next but unless Valdez' team wants him as well, his demands will bring him nothing. He forfeited his WBC ranking when he signed to fight for the WBO Interim title. Unless Valdez' manager and promoter want to grant him an optional defense, he's out of luck!
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:31 am "Excuse me, Mr. Arum, kind sir, but if it wouldn't be too much of a bother, I would truly appreciate your consideration of a possible bout between Mr. Valdez and I, at your convenience of course."

Did anyone read the actual quote or just the headline? Nothing wrong with what the young man stated. Considering the way fighters are moved in this tepid, watered down era of competitive boxing and the way stable and camp mate Crawford has not been secured meaningful fights at 147 by Top Rank, he should get even louder. Demand away young gun.
Exactly. His career, he has every right to be hungry and push for what he wants. He ain’t some bum looking for a cash grab.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

He should call him out...he won't get him next since Valdez vs Conceaociao (or however it's spelt) is being made. But if he beats Herring in the meantime, then it would become a unification and have more of a ring to it. He's in a position now where people can say he hasn't earned it, but if he beats Herring it becomes a natural unification to make, with them sharing a promoter.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

KSTAT124 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:05 pm If Stevenson wanted to force the issue, he should have fought in a WBC eliminator rather than fight for the WBO Interim title. If he beats Nakathila, he'll be entitled to a shot at Herring. He can scream that he wants Valdez next but unless Valdez' team wants him as well, his demands will bring him nothing. He forfeited his WBC ranking when he signed to fight for the WBO Interim title. Unless Valdez' manager and promoter want to grant him an optional defense, he's out of luck!
Un-Professor Stat of you, sir. Still reacting to the title of the article and not the words of the man it is written about. Nothing wrong with the quote.

Also, oddly omitted from your initial post on the topic was the fact that Shakur was Valdez's mandatory for the 126 WBO strap and Oscar chose to vacate and move up to 130 rather than defend the belt, so why play that game again. Unlike Valdez, I don't think Herring sidesteps the young American talent. Maybe a unification fight will entice Oscar to take the fight he swerved already.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

If I'm on Shak's team, I'm telling him to talk as much as he can and be a loudmouth; be controversial. He's a superb boxer, but the 0 risk, low power style means that it's going to be difficult for him to generate hype with his performances alone.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

I'm sorry, but Stevenson is just HARD to watch!!! If I don't ever see him fight again, that will be okay with me.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:14 pm I'm sorry, but Stevenson is just HARD to watch!!! If I don't ever see him fight again, that will be okay with me.
I opted to buy the UFC PPV....
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
KSTAT124

Post by KSTAT124 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:01 pm
KSTAT124 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:05 pm If Stevenson wanted to force the issue, he should have fought in a WBC eliminator rather than fight for the WBO Interim title. If he beats Nakathila, he'll be entitled to a shot at Herring. He can scream that he wants Valdez next but unless Valdez' team wants him as well, his demands will bring him nothing. He forfeited his WBC ranking when he signed to fight for the WBO Interim title. Unless Valdez' manager and promoter want to grant him an optional defense, he's out of luck!
Un-Professor Stat of you, sir. Still reacting to the title of the article and not the words of the man it is written about. Nothing wrong with the quote.

Also, oddly omitted from your initial post on the topic was the fact that Shakur was Valdez's mandatory for the 126 WBO strap and Oscar chose to vacate and move up to 130 rather than defend the belt, so why play that game again. Unlike Valdez, I don't think Herring sidesteps the young American talent. Maybe a unification fight will entice Oscar to take the fight he swerved already.
You should have written, "Oscar chose to move up to 130 rather than defend the belt for SEVENTH time."

Valdez already had one mandatory defense to his credit and having had a hard time making weight for his optional defense against Jason Sanchez, Valdez chose to return to the junior lightweight/super featherweight division.
KSTAT124

Post by KSTAT124 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:01 pm

You should have written, "Oscar chose to move up to 130 rather than defend the belt for SEVENTH time."

Valdez already had one mandatory defense to his credit and having had a hard time making weight for his optional defense against Jason Sanchez, Valdez chose to return to the junior lightweight/super featherweight division and campaign for a second world title.
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

Another Lara type. Just unappealing.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Another Lara type. Just unappealing.
Stevenson makes Lara look like Marvin Hagler......
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

super feather
Shakur Stevenson 15 0 0
:idea:
Jeremia Nakathila 21 1 0
World Boxing Organisation Interim World Super Feather Title

Shakur won by UD
Jeremia down in round 4
https://uploadir.com/u/ox7x9pxn