Canelo and the Super Middleweight division

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
JMoran80
TTR Challenge #4 Super Champ
TTR Challenge #4 Super Champ

Canelo and the Super Middleweight division

Post by JMoran80 »

So i'm back from a long hiatus, glad to be back!

Just wanted to hear everyone's opinion on Canelo and unifying this division. He has stated that it's his ultimate goal. Not to take away from who he has fought and beat in the past (Cotto, Mosley, ect.), but to me this division has never really been that glamorous. Is that why he went there and is deciding to unify?? Easiest to do so??? I think we all agree, staying away from 175 is the best decision, but I think it would mean a lot more to unify if he did it at 160. A lot more names IMO.

Thoughts?
5_burowz

Re: Canelo and the Super Middleweight division

Post by 5_burowz »

Have you been in prison?
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

So i'm back from a long hiatus, glad to be back!

Just wanted to hear everyone's opinion on Canelo and unifying this division. He has stated that it's his ultimate goal. Not to take away from who he has fought and beat in the past (Cotto, Mosley, ect.), but to me this division has never really been that glamorous. Is that why he went there and is deciding to unify?? Easiest to do so??? I think we all agree, staying away from 175 is the best decision, but I think it would mean a lot more to unify if he did it at 160. A lot more names IMO.

Thoughts?
Well this version of the SMW division is not all that great. But I do give Canelo credit for going right after Callum Smith, who was considered the best SMW at the time. But Canelo beats all of the current champs with ease IMO. He will dominate BJS, and I think he handles Plant convincingly. I think his only true test at moment is Benevidez. I was funny how he didn't want to fight Benevidez when he had a title, but went right after Benevidez's title, right after he lost it on the scales. But whatever.

160 is better than 168, but Canelo could beat those guys too. Charlo is the most interesting matchup, and I think he'd be the best fight(excitement wise) for Canelo, and the fans. Andrade could be a matchup nightmare for Canelo, and could 'stink out the joint' his way to a win. GGG is just old now...Canelo would probably stop him at this point.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Maybe Benavidez can try holding onto a title for once, instead of dropping it and taking himself out of any unification fights. He only has himself to blame for half assing his career and losing his titles first through cocaine and then through being way overweight; that's not Canelo's issue. There's absolutely no reason to think Canelo would be scared of fighting Benavidez either.

I think Canelo beats all these guys at 160 and 168. Obviously it's a longer and harder road to do it at 160, since after this week he'll probably only need to beat Plant to do it at 168
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Schooling Callum imo was a BIG statement... IMO Zurdo and Beterbiev, Maybe Smith as a crude guy too can be the best challenges.
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

168 is just as good as 160 imo. We don't know how good Charlo is because he is in the Al Haymon protection plan fighting safe opponents(only one decent opponent). Andrade is pretty good but no one will fight him even when offered big paydays. Callum Smith won the WBSS and was Ring Champ. Benavidez is excellent but struggles to make weight and is mentally weak.

I despise Saunders, but he is probably just as good as any champ outside of Canelo at 160 or 168

I won't be surprised if Plant gets cute and negotiates himself out of the Canelo opportunity. He knows Canelo is after his alphabet trinket.

Golovkin is still on the sidelines hoping that Canelo will give him one more windfall payday.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

Canelo's only options are to fight GGG again or move back up and take on Bivol or Beterbiev. I would happily watch all three of those fights.
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

It'll be Plant or GGG next I think
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

Canvas wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:32 pm It'll be Plant or GGG next I think
Does this guy even box anymore?
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

He fought 6 months ago, which isn't that long in COVID times.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”