Sumo: The March Basho has started

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Sumo: The March Basho has started

Post by Primetyme199 »

It runs from March 14-28. Haven't watched the day 1 highlights yet, hopefully I'll be able to in an hour or so.

I did see that after a long layoff Hakuho is back.

Yokozuna Kakuryu withdrew from the tourney, this is the 5th straight grand tournament he's missed.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
kewlmodee

Re: Sumo: The March Basho has started

Post by kewlmodee »

I'm looking forward to Ura vs Enho in the second division.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Hakuho off to a great start after 2 days.

Takakeisho looking back in Top form after having to withdrawal due to injury from the last Tournament, and doing poorly prior to his withdrawal. He's won his first 2 bouts.

The always formidable Terunofuji is 2-0.

The Ozeki Shodai is 1-1 after 2 days.

And last Tournament's winner Daiesho is off to an 0-2 start.

There'll be a few guys who can keep their unbeaten run going for the first 5 days or so, after that you start to separate the Wheat from The Chaff a little.

I'm very excited to have Hakuho back in action. I look forward to seeing how he does. Also glad to see Takakeisho back in action.

The last Tournament was probably one of the weakest fields due to injuries, and Covid withdrawals and shit, this Tournament seems like one of the toughest ones in quite a while.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

kewlmodee wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:02 pm I'm looking forward to Ura vs Enho in the second division.
How's Enho holding up in the 2nd division? How'd he do last Tournament? I always enjoyed watching Enho, but other than a match here and there I only see the Top division.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Hakuho has pulled out due to Cartilage damage to the Knee that will require surgery. Goddamnit.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Wakatakakage pulled an upset today on Takakeisho. That was an interesting result.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

gilgamesh wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:16 pm Wakatakakage pulled an upset today on Takakeisho. That was an interesting result.
Wakatakakage, by far the best name in Sumo.

Hakuho out again, makes you wonder how much more he's going to have left. He was out 3 straight tournaments, now injured again after 2 matches and will miss the May tournament at least. Surgery is the same knee that he had surgery on in August. His stablemaster Miyagino said Hakuho plans to return after recovering from the surgery and will decide whether to continue competing based on the results of his comeback tournament.

"He was told (by a doctor) that he couldn't wrestle in his current condition. He said he will make his final decision at the Nagoya tournament (in July)," Miyagino said.

Kakuryū has missed the last 4 tourney's in a row and has injury defaulted 4 of the last 5 before the missed one's. He said he won't retire but he's missed so much it's ridiculous.

Both yokozuna have been cautioned by the JSA over their repeated absences.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Day 4 highlights

Uncle BBQ (Akiseyama) improved to 3-1 in the tourney.

Tobizaru vs Kotonowaka was a good match lasted over a minute with Tobizaru coming out on top.

Tochinoshin won his bout, it's his 600th career win.

Myogiryu moves to 4-0.

Daiesho lost again, he's 0-4. It looked like he was going to win but Takayasu stepped aside and Daiesho stepped out.

Terunofuji moves to 4-0 after a tough match with Meisei.

Takakeisho moves to 3-1.

Shodai loses to Hokutofuji and drops to 2-2.

kewlmodee

Post by kewlmodee »

gilgamesh wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:42 pm
kewlmodee wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:02 pm I'm looking forward to Ura vs Enho in the second division.
How's Enho holding up in the 2nd division? How'd he do last Tournament? I always enjoyed watching Enho, but other than a match here and there I only see the Top division.
Enho sat out last tournament because some wrestlers in his stable got Covid. He's currently winning the second division right now! If he gets a winning record he should be back in the top division next tournament.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Yokozuna Kakuryu retires due to a long list of injuries.

Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Takayasu with a 1 win lead over Asanoyama and Terunofuji with 3 days left. Takayasu also has the the easier opposition remaining...
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

I learned something new today, watching yesterdays highlights. Kotoshoho came back in after he withdrew earlier because of injuries. I didn't realize you could do that, I thought once you withdrew you were done for the tourney.

gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

With 1 day left before the Conclusion of this Tournament Takayasu takes his 4th loss, and after leading most of the Tournament has been knocked off of his top spot. Terunofuji who had come even with him yesterday passed him up today with another win, and is the sole leader going into the final day with 4 guys right on his heels only 1 win back from him.
kewlmodee

Post by kewlmodee »

gilgamesh wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:12 pm With 1 day left before the Conclusion of this Tournament Takayasu takes his 4th loss, and after leading most of the Tournament has been knocked off of his top spot. Terunofuji who had come even with him yesterday passed him up today with another win, and is the sole leader going into the final day with 4 guys right on his heels only 1 win back from him.
This has been an exciting tournament. Takayasu looked like he lost all his confidence today after dropping 3 out of ihs last 4.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Terunofuji got the W on the FInal Day, and takes his 3rd Yusho. He will undoubtedly be promoted to Ozeki in the Next Tournament.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

This was a great tournament. going down to the last battles to win and to get their Kachi-koshi's between some top guys.

gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

I was almost rooting for a 3 way playoff just because I've yet to see one of those, but I'm glad Terunofuji won. He seems to be one of the most consistent guys going of late.

I guess they'd do a 3 way playoff Round Robin style?
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

They alternate opponents until someone wins 2 in a row

For example:

Takakeisho beats Aoiyama

Then Terunofuji beats Takakeisho

Then Terunofuji beats Aoiyama = yusho

Last tournament there was a 9 man playoff in makushita, and the eventual winner had to win 4 matches on top of his normal schedule. In that case, I believe they organized it by having 2 of the competitors face each other to eliminate 1 of them, and once they'd done that they were able to hold it just like an 8-man straight knockout tournament.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

gilgamesh wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:18 pm I was almost rooting for a 3 way playoff just because I've yet to see one of those, but I'm glad Terunofuji won. He seems to be one of the most consistent guys going of late.

I guess they'd do a 3 way playoff Round Robin style?

I was rooting for that

Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Three days after the tournament’s conclusion, the sumo association’s board of directors held an extraordinary meeting to officially promote the 29-year-old Terunofuji to ozeki. It was actually the second time for the Mongolian to receive such a promotion. He lost the rank in 2017 and dropped to the second-lowest division, Jonidan, after suffering numerous injuries and poor health. But he climbed his way back, returning to the top Makunouchi division last July for the first time in two and a half years. No other wrestler has fought back to ozeki after being demoted as low as Jonidan.

Champion Terunofuji was also given the Outstanding Performance Award for sweeping the three ozeki and performing at a high level throughout the 15-day competition.

Meisei won the Fighting Spirit Prize for his energetic sumo throughout the tourney. He won 10 bouts and is expected to rise to sanyaku, or either the sekiwake or komusubi rank, in the very near future.

Aoiyama also got the Fighting Spirit Prize, for remaining in the title race until the last moment. He had a chance to be in a playoff had Terunofuji lost his match on Day 15, but it was not to be. The Bulgarian did finish the contest with an impressive 11 wins.

The Technique Prize went to Wakatakakage. His two older brothers also compete in the professional ranks, but he’s the only one at the top Makunouchi level. Wakatakakage won 10 matches with blazing speed and a variety of great techniques in March.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”