CANELO stopped SAUNDERS Saturday

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Cagiva9

Re: CANELO stopped SAUNDERS Saturday

Post by Cagiva9 »

I hate Saunders as much as the next guy but I’m not going to hold that quit against him. That eye looked fcked.

Canelo had started teeing off, I doubt it was going the distance anyway.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

Facts. He knew what time it was
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

Tocsin wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:18 pm I only had Saunders winning 2 rounds, some people were a lot more impressed by him than I was. He landed notable punches in all of 2 rounds and then quit as soon as he was in trouble.

I agree. Saunders boxed ok at times but didn't really change Canelo's mood or have an effect on Canelo. It was only a matter of time before he got hurt.
The commentators were seeing something totally different, though.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

Saunders quit like a ho
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Big humble pie will help BJS
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

Saunders did just about every trick he could think of. It wasn't enough. Canelo is kind of like prime Pac right now obliterating all the top larger men.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

mannymac wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:06 am
Tocsin wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:18 pm I only had Saunders winning 2 rounds, some people were a lot more impressed by him than I was. He landed notable punches in all of 2 rounds and then quit as soon as he was in trouble.

I agree. Saunders boxed ok at times but didn't really change Canelo's mood or have an effect on Canelo. It was only a matter of time before he got hurt.
The commentators were seeing something totally different, though.
Ya, I didn't have the sound on but I saw Mannix's card - no idea what he was watching.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

DAZN is terrible IMO production wise... Commentators mainly.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

I mean, I guess I want to see Canelo in the ring with Bivol or Beterbiev. I'm not sure where he goes from here.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Pitty pat punches don't bother Canelo he'll walk right thru them in order to land his own best punches unless it's FMJ....
Chef
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

chef97 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:49 am Pitty pat punches don't bother Canelo he'll walk right thru them in order to land his own best punches unless it's FMJ....
That's true. Canelo would beat Floyd right now though if they fought. He was very green when he fought Floyd for the first time. He's a much more well-rounded and experienced fighter now. The loss to Floyd only helped him.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

Hes gonna fight and smash plant to unify in the fall which is cool but plant doesnt intrigue me at all hes going to get smashed. Moving up is the only real challenge at this point. Heard hes mentioned he wants bivol.
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
chef97

Post by chef97 »

5_burowz wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:54 am
chef97 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:49 am Pitty pat punches don't bother Canelo he'll walk right thru them in order to land his own best punches unless it's FMJ....
That's true. Canelo would beat Floyd right now though if they fought. He was very green when he fought Floyd for the first time. He's a much more well-rounded and experienced fighter now. The loss to Floyd only helped him.
You probably right but if they fought again I would root for a double KO.... :)
Chef
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

TopNotch86 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:59 am Hes gonna fight and smash plant to unify in the fall which is cool but plant doesnt intrigue me at all hes going to get smashed. Moving up is the only real challenge at this point. Heard hes mentioned he wants bivol.
The Bivol fight would be an excellent scrap.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

chef97 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:01 am

There's no way Floyd would get in the ring with Canelo now. If Floyd really wanted to give him another crack for a huge payday, then it would've happened by now. It's much easier and safer money to fight Jake Paul...or whoever this clown is. lol
chef97

Post by chef97 »

5_burowz wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:10 am

There's no way Floyd would get in the ring with Canelo now. If Floyd really wanted to give him another crack for a huge payday, then it would've happened by now. It's much easier and safer money to fight Jake Paul...or whoever this clown is. lol
The announcers last night said Canelo would target Caleb Plant to unify all 168 Titles...
Chef
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

chef97 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:19 am

The announcers last night said Canelo would target Caleb Plant to unify all 168 Titles...

I honestly do not think I have even seen Plant fight. I certainly don't remember it if I did. Seems like more fodder for Canelo. But, hey, it's easy money for him. I would imagine it's kind of hard to stay hungry fighting these kind of guys though.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Floyd still wins at 152. So there’s that anyway.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

“ Bumped into @EddieHearn in the lobby on his way to see Billy Joe Saunders at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth. Saunders set to have surgery today on multiple fractures to his orbital bone, a complete blowout, known as a quadripod fracture. Brutal injury”

Good decision to call it by his corner eyes fucked. Could be a career ender im hearing
Last edited by TopNotch86 on Sun May 09, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Canelo was greener, I wouldn't call him completely green, he beat a VERY good titlist in Trout before he fought Floyd. And Floyd was 35 or 36 when he fought Canelo, so Floyd was past his prime, and still beat Canelo for every second of that fight.

Prime vs Prime...Floyd still beats him. Canelo is a VERY good fighter, but I think you're forgetting how good Floyd actually was. And let's remember...Canelo could have a loss to Lara, and many people think he lost the first GGG fight. So let's not get too carried away here.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

TopNotch86 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:18 pm “ Bumped into @EddieHearn in the lobby on his way to see Billy Joe Saunders at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth. Saunders set to have surgery today on multiple fractures to his orbital bone, a complete blowout, known as a quadripod fracture. Brutal injury”

Good decision to call it by his corner eyes fucked. Could be a career ender im hearing

Damn man...that is unfortunate. He will likely never be the same after this injury.
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

I doubt any version of Floyd would ever fight a prime Canelo.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

I know everybody hates Floyd and all...but come on, this is getting silly.

That was an OLD FLOYD MAYWEATHER, that schooled Canelo. And I could see if the fight was close, or even competitive...but it was neither. You mean to tell me that Canelo is so much better now, that he closed that HUGE gap between the two? So much so, that he beats that version of Floyd that blanked him, and so much so that he beats a PRIME Floyd??? Bullshit. And like I said: Canelo could arguably have 2 losses after he fought Floyd.

Canelo is bordering on being a great fighter, and he has improved a lot. But his biggest problem continues to be that he's still slow of foot. If you make him reset, he's not nearly effective. Now I thought he was beating BJQ easily last night(I didn't see it close at all), but there were times, that BJQ used good pivots, and circled well, and it left Canelo stuck in some spots.
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

Oh, i don't hate Floyd.
But in my opinion he would probably not get in the ring with this version of Canelo. It took him 5 years to fight Pacquiao. He didn't fight a prime Cotto either. Retired a few times when the welterweight division was hot and would come back in key moments. Stuff like that make me believe that he would probably not fight Canelo either.
And if the judges would have scored honestly, he would have a loss to Castillo.
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

For the record, I'm not saying he loses to Canelo. Just saying that he would have probably avoided a prime Canelo.
Not trying to turn this into a hate thread. I don't care for that. I love boxing and respect fighters.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”