CANELO stopped SAUNDERS Saturday

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

CANELO stopped SAUNDERS Saturday

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.boxingscene.com/hearn-on-ca ... el--155976

MIAMI GARDENS, Florida – The odds obviously aren’t in favor of Billy Joe Saunders knocking out Canelo Alvarez when they meet May 8.

Saunders’ promoter hopes to ensure that a neutral panel of judges will at least afford the undefeated southpaw a realistic chance of upsetting the Mexican superstar on the scorecards. Eddie Hearn – whose company, Matchroom Boxing, promotes Alvarez as well as Saunders – thus will insist on the assignment of one British judge to their 12-round fight for Alvarez’s WBA and WBC and Saunders’ WBO super middleweight titles.

Alvarez (55-1-2, 37 KOs) will be a sizable favorite to defeat England’s Saunders (30-0, 14 KOs), but the four-division champion has benefited from multiple heavily scrutinized scorecards in Las Vegas over the course of his celebrated career. Hearn revealed that the Raiders’ Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas and the Cowboys’ AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, are the two sites seriously under consideration to host the Alvarez-Saunders fight in two months.

“I think we need a neutral panel,” Hearn told BoxingScene.com following Alvarez’s technical knockout of overmatched mandatory challenger Avni Yildirim last month at Hard Rock Stadium. “I think we need a British judge on there. I think we need an American judge on there. But I don’t know. Look, the British judging hasn’t been fantastic lately. And then we just saw another bad scorecard in New Zealand [for the Joseph Parker-Junior Fa fight Friday night], so it happens everywhere.

“And also, when [Alvarez is] the biggest star like that, sometimes you get the benefit of the doubt with the crowd noise in close situations. So, we’ll see. It’s gonna be Las Vegas or Dallas, probably, and we’ll decide within the next week, maybe, two weeks max.”

The three most noteworthy instances of debatable scoring impacting the results of Alvarez’s 12-round fights in Las Vegas were his split-decision victory over Cuba’s Erislandy Lara, his draw with Kazakhstan’s Gennadiy Golovkin in their first fight and one judge scoring Alvarez’s obvious loss to American superstar Floyd Mayweather a draw.

Judge Jerry Roth scored Lara a 115-113 winner over Alvarez, who won their very competitive bout on the cards of judges Levi Martinez (117-111) and Dave Moretti (115-113) in July 2014 at MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Judge Adalaide Byrd absurdly scored Alvarez a 118-110 victor in his widely disputed split draw with Golovkin in September 2017 at T-Mobile Arena. Moretti scored that bout 115-113 for Golovkin and Don Trella had it even, 114-114.

Mayweather won their junior middleweight match comfortably on the cards of judges Craig Metcalfe (117-111) and Moretti (116-112). Judge CJ Ross strangely scored a fight Mayweather won decisively a draw, 114-114.

None of the aforementioned judges for those three fights are from Alvarez’s home country of Mexico. They’re all residents of the United States, except for Meltcalfe, who is from Canada.

Nevertheless, assigning a British judge to their bout seems more than fair to Hearn, who, like Saunders, resides in England. Twelve of Alvarez’s past 18 fights have taken place in Las Vegas, where Saunders will fight for the first time.

“We will push for a British judge,” Hearn said. “That’s the way it should be because it’s champion versus champion. It’s not just, you know, it’s all Canelo Alvarez. This is a world champion fighting a world champion. So, that’s something that we will be insistent on.”
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Re: Hearn on Canelo-Saunders: We'll Insist On One British Judge; We Need Neutral Panel

Post by gilgamesh »

It could be 3 British Judges. They'd still be bought off in Vegas.

I don't think Canelo will need any favors to beat Saunders. I think he'll beat him legitimately, but he won't lose a decision even if Saunders deserves it by an 8 rounds to 4 margin, and considering Saunders isn't a KO puncher, he literally CAN'T win this fight.

It's just a question of how Canelo wins.

KO
Clear Decision
or Controversial Decision.

Those are the 3 possibilities.
the13r
TTR

Re: CANELO vs SAUNDERS Saturday

Post by the13r »

Saturday 8, May 2021
AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas, USA
commission Texas Combative Sports Program
promoter Eddie Hearn (Matchroom Boxing)
matchmaker Eric Bottjer
WATCH HERE
WATCH HERE
WATCH HERE

super middle
Saul Alvarez 55 1 2
:idea:
Billy Joe Saunders 30 0 0
World Boxing Council World Super Middle Title
World Boxing Association Super World Super Middle Title
World Boxing Organisation World Super Middle Title

light fly
Elwin Soto 18 1 0
Katsunari Takayama 32 8 0
World Boxing Organisation World Light Fly Title

super welter
Kieron Conway 16 1 1
Souleymane Cissokho 12 0 0
World Boxing Association Inter-Continental Super Welter Title

heavy
Frank Sanchez 17 0 0
Nagy Aguilera 21 10 0

welter
Christian Alan Gomez Duran 19 2 1
Xavier Wilson 11 2 1

light
Keyshawn Davis 2 0 0
Jose Antonio Meza 6 4 0

feather
Marc Castro 2 0 0
Irving Macias Castillo 9 1 0

super light
Kelvin Davis 1 0 0
Jan Marsalek 8 2 0

the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

It’s been a long time since I’ve wanted a fighter to win as much as I want Canelo to win tomorrow and I’m no particular fan of his.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Kelvin Davis almost got stopped in the card's first fight, fortunate for him it was a 4 rounder. Not a good look for his chin...
the13r
TTR

Re: CANELO vs SAUNDERS •NOW LIVE•

Post by the13r »

5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

Do you still have a live chat for these fights?
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

The living room is ready! I<ll be on tonight a little later!
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

I know there was some drama with the ring size but havent followed too closely. Am icrazy or is this thing fucking huge?
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Wow those judges were on crack for Cissokho-Conway
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

The judge who gave it to conway should be fired and charged lol
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

the 95-94 and 96-93 for Cissokho were awful too. He clowned Conway for all but 1 minute
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

Literally. Conway couldnt touch him for 99%
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Damn why did Cole have to stop that fight, I was loving it.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

I love the shadowbox Takayama did after it was stopped
lakerlegacy1

Post by lakerlegacy1 »

Billy Joe actually looks like he showed up to fight.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Canelo IMO won the first and 2nd... Landed BIG body shots in the 1st and made BJS legs a little shaky in round 2
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

the13r
TTR

Re: CANELO stopped SAUNDERS Saturday

Post by the13r »

Canelo probably broke his orbital bone
or cheek and Saunders quit in his corner

mannymac

Post by mannymac »

Saunders bitched out as soon as the going got tough.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

Just showed him again. That eye looks fucked. Somethings broken in there. Broken orbital at least im saying
Last edited by TopNotch86 on Sat May 08, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

I only had Saunders winning 2 rounds, some people were a lot more impressed by him than I was. He landed notable punches in all of 2 rounds and then quit as soon as he was in trouble.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

Plant bout to say “ight ima head out” and fedex that man his belt lmao

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”