Sources: UFC releases heavyweights Junior dos Santos, Alistair Overeem

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Sources: UFC releases heavyweights Junior dos Santos, Alistair Overeem

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/309 ... ir-overeem

The UFC has released two of its most popular heavyweight fighters.

Alistair Overeem and Junior dos Santos were recently informed by the promotion that they were being released, sources confirmed with ESPN on Wednesday night.

Dos Santos posted about his release on his Instagram account earlier Wednesday, while MMA Junkie first reported Overeem's release.

UFC 259 boasts three title fights in one night. Light heavyweight champion Jan Blachowicz defends his belt against middleweight champ Israel Adesanya in the main event. Amanda Nunes defends her women's featherweight title against Megan Anderson. Petr Yan defends the bantamweight title against Aljamain Sterling.

UFC officials subsequently confirmed the releases with ESPN's Brett Okamoto.

Overeem had two fights left on his contract, and dos Santos had five remaining, sources said.

Overeem, a former UFC heavyweight title challenger, previously won the Strikeforce and DREAM heavyweight titles, as well as the K-1 kickboxing World Grand Prix. He suffered a knockout loss to Alexander Volkov in February in his most recent bout. The loss snapped a two-fight winning streak.

Dos Santos, a former UFC heavyweight champion, lost his fourth straight fight in December when he was defeated via TKO by Ciryl Gane.

According to sources close to dos Santos, he was recently offered a short-notice fight against Marcin Tybura at UFC 260 on March 29. After dos Santos declined the fight because of not having enough time to prepare, the promotion ultimately decided to release him, sources said.

In his Instagram post, dos Santos, 37, hinted that he would continue to fight. Overeem, 40, has yet to comment on his future.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Canvas

Re: Sources: UFC releases heavyweights Junior dos Santos, Alistair Overeem

Post by Canvas »

Time for Overeem to go the WWF
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Canvas wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:14 pm Time for Overeem to go the WWF
I can see him going to OneFC or another promotion like Rizin where they don't test for steroids, and he can eat his so called horsemeat.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

He'd get fed to Brock like they did Velazquez. Lol
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:04 am
I can see him going to OneFC or another promotion like Rizin where they don't test for steroids, and he can eat his so called horsemeat.
I can see that.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Just saw an article from the Rizin boss about bringing him in.

“I do have a soft spot for Alistair and if he desires, I think it would make sense for him to retire in Japan,” Sakakibara told Tom Taylor. “We will be kicking this year off with the RIZIN 27 event on March 21st in Nagoya, but we do plan to have around seven events this year, obviously ending it at the Saitama Super Arena on [New Year’s Eve]. Maybe that would be something that could make sense.”

“He would obviously need to understand the current Japanese market and his value for all of this to happen though,” Sakakibara continued. “He should do us an old friend’s favor and fight for the amount he made his debut in like old times. All jokes aside, I would have no problem working with him if the numbers make sense for us, and I’m sure there will be many fans who would want to see him end his career in Japan.”

Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Overeem on the release:

The final run has come to an end, but what a run it has been. Looking back at my 10 years in the UFC, this has been the experience of a lifetime. Huge thank you to the entire UFC staff, the fans and all the fighters I came across. Couldn’t have wished for any other better career path. A special thank you to Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta for making everything possible. Fighting for all of you has been such an honor.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”