Unlimited rounds

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
ObJuan13

Unlimited rounds

Post by ObJuan13 »

Would fights be better if they went back to the old school unlimited rounds format?

There might be more in ring tragedies, but outside of that; fights that could only end by stoppage (10 count, ref, corner or quit)

The pacing would change for sure and things would get really interesting, and it would definitely come a lot closer to defining “the best fighter in the world”

Boxing would probably turn far more into a marathon sport, something like tennis with long tie breaker sets, but I’d like it... and quick KOs would still be a thing so there’s that too
KSTAT124
TTR Rankings & Results Editor
TTR Rankings & Results Editor

Re: Unlimited rounds

Post by KSTAT124 »

"There might be more in ring tragedies"......end of discussion
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Tv slots and ppv would become a nightmare to plan for... ring deaths is terrible for the sport. Might eventually make boxing banned in some areas in a decade or two. 15 rounders did change the whole strategy of how champ fights were fought... I miss those... don't miss the deaths. There are a few each year without it... imagine with it
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

the pace of the fight would be unbearably slow to start I think....I personally would like to see 15 rounds again but i know it will likely never happne...
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

King Carlos Molina tried to make a 15 rounder happen in 2020 and got some heat for it I think... It didn't happen and it was a good thing because no way his opponent would've been competitive for 15... BUt super fights should still be imo
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

I would love 15 rounders

But I can’t lie, outside of the deaths, I would love to see what the sport morphed into with unlimited rounds, strategy would change dramatically
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

ObJuan13 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:17 am I would love 15 rounders

But I can’t lie, outside of the deaths, I would love to see what the sport morphed into with unlimited rounds, strategy would change dramatically

Russia had a tournament that had a bizarre round format... I'd have to look for the thread I had made when I covered it a few years ago.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

15 rounders I'd love to have back. Unlimited Rounds. I would imagine that would make for incredibly slow paced fights.

I might like to see a few Unlimited Rounds bouts just for the hell of it to see how it plays out, but I don't think I'd ever care to see it as the norm.

I've seen one Unlimited Time fight in MMA, and it was pretty goddamn boring. It's interesting just for the historical significance, but certainly not because it was an unforgettable fight.

The fight I'm referring to is Kazushi Sakuraba vs Royce Gracie at the Pride 2000 Grand Prix. It was set to go until there was a winner. I wanna say it went An hour and 45 minutes before Gracie quit in his corner.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

gilgamesh wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:58 pm 15 rounders I'd love to have back. Unlimited Rounds. I would imagine that would make for incredibly slow paced fights.

I might like to see a few Unlimited Rounds bouts just for the hell of it to see how it plays out, but I don't think I'd ever care to see it as the norm.

I've seen one Unlimited Time fight in MMA, and it was pretty goddamn boring. It's interesting just for the historical significance, but certainly not because it was an unforgettable fight.

The fight I'm referring to is Kazushi Sakuraba vs Royce Gracie at the Pride 2000 Grand Prix. It was set to go until there was a winner. I wanna say it went An hour and 45 minutes before Gracie quit in his corner.

UFC had Severn Vs Shamrock that was unlimited I think and boring
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

You're referring to UFC 9. I believe that went to the scorecards.

But yes it was dreadfully boring.

Several of the early fights were unlimited time in the UFC, but because a lot of the early combatants had no idea whatsoever how to deal with Jiu Jitsu or ground techniques the fights ended early.

UFC 9 I think they made rules where there couldn't be blood or some shit or the fights would be stopped immediately if there was blood so they basically had to just lay on each other. The Michigan Athletic Commission completely ruined that event.

Although strangely they apparently didn't care if there was blood in the undercard fights, just the main event. Figure that out.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

I seem to recall a Mark Coleman MMA fight where it was unlimited rounds and he basically ending up collapsing of exhaustion
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Mark Coleman's fights always had a time limit with the exception of the Pride 2000 GP Final. Which he won.

He did most definitely run out of gas a few times though.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”