Who was the best of these 5 Mexican fighters

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
ObJuan13

Who was the best of these 5 Mexican fighters

Post by ObJuan13 »

Sal Sanchez
Carlos Zarate
Orlando Canizales
Julio Cesar Chavez
Ricardo Lopez

All of them were great and pretty close talent wise in my opinion... Some more popular than others but I have a hard time separating them. Not old enough to know how good all of their opponents were in real time, but eye test alone they’re all great.

Rank em if you can
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Re: Who was the best of these 5 Mexican fighters

Post by Primetyme199 »

Canizales is American, born in Texas.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
KSTAT124
TTR Rankings & Results Editor
TTR Rankings & Results Editor

Post by KSTAT124 »

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=59564

The above thread is also linked to:

viewtopic.php?t=58518

The second thread is from 2009 through 2016.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:49 pm Canizales is American, born in Texas.
I know, but he’s Mexican American. I’m just referring to ethnicity/heritage whatever... I’d throw Oscar on the list if I thought he belonged
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

ObJuan13 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:35 pm
Primetyme199 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:49 pm Canizales is American, born in Texas.
I know, but he’s Mexican American. I’m just referring to ethnicity/heritage whatever... I’d throw Oscar on the list if I thought he belonged
I would think he should be on that list if your going off of ethnicity/heritage. His parents emigrated to the US from Mexico. So both were born in the US by Mexican parents.

I would have Ruben Olivares in place of Canizales.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

There seems to be some love on forums of underrating Chavez now, acting like he was all some giant hype job and not worth that much as a fighter.

It happens a lot, someone gets a bit overrated, and in response people go too far in the other direction.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

But he's born in the United States, which makes him American. Mexican is a nationality, not a race, ethnicity, or heritage. You have to be born in Mexico to be Mexican.

Not trying to be an asshole...but when you say "Mexican Fighters", those are guys who were born in the country of Mexico.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:00 am
ObJuan13 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:35 pm
I would think he should be on that list if your going off of ethnicity/heritage. His parents emigrated to the US from Mexico. So both were born in the US by Mexican parents.

I would have Ruben Olivares in place of Canizales.
Yeah, Olivares probably belongs based on everything I’ve heard, but haven’t seen much of him at all

And you think Oscar is a top 5 guy?
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:52 pm
But he's born in the United States, which makes him American. Mexican is a nationality, not a race, ethnicity, or heritage. You have to be born in Mexico to be Mexican.

Not trying to be an asshole...but when you say "Mexican Fighters", those are guys who were born in the country of Mexico.
Yeah I know, not trying to be super literal... if they’re Mexican or Mexican American they can make this list
Last edited by ObJuan13 on Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Tocsin wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:25 pm There seems to be some love on forums of underrating Chavez now, acting like he was all some giant hype job and not worth that much as a fighter.

It happens a lot, someone gets a bit overrated, and in response people go too far in the other direction.
I agree
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

JCC Sr. was good...just not as good as his eventual myth/legendary status made him out to be. By those terms, he's definitely been overrated through the years.

IMO... there were better Mexican fighters than Chavez. They're just not as highly praised or publicized.
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

Chavez, himself, said that Ricardo Lopez was the best Mexican fighter.

FWIT
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Lopez is one of my all time favorites

mannymac

Post by mannymac »

Primetyme199 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:43 pm Lopez is one of my all time favorites

He was pretty damn good. Retired undefeated.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

mannymac wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:34 pm
Primetyme199 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:43 pm Lopez is one of my all time favorites

He was pretty damn good. Retired undefeated.

Just watching his combos, footwork,skill, and ring intelligence had me in awe when I was watching him.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”