MAYWEATHER vs PAUL

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

MAYWEATHER vs PAUL

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/ ... logan-paul

Floyd Mayweather Jr. is heading back to the ring. Sort of.

The retired former boxing champion will wear gloves again Feb. 20 for an exhibition match against YouTube personality Logan Paul, Mayweather announced on his Instagram account Sunday.

According to the event's webpage, the bout will be streamed as a pay-per-view. The first 1 million buys will cost $24.99, with the price increasing after that threshold is surpassed or the date gets closer. The price jumps to $69.99 starting Feb. 11, which is roughly $5 cheaper than the price for Saturday's bout between unified welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr. and Danny Garcia.

Mayweather and Paul are no strangers to this type of event. Mayweather retired in 2017 after stopping former UFC champion Conor McGregor. The fight, which was McGregor's boxing debut, was sanctioned by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and allowed Mayweather to close his official record at 50-0 with 27 knockouts. Mayweather also fought kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa on New Year's Eve in 2018 in an exhibition that reportedly netted him $9 million.

In November 2019, Paul fought another YouTube personality named KSI in a six-round bout sanctioned by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and promoted by Matchroom Boxing. KSI won in a split decision.

Logan Paul is the brother of Jake Paul, who most recently knocked out former NBA player Nate Robinson on the undercard of the Mike Tyson-Roy Jones Jr. exhibition Nov. 28. Jake Paul officially has a 2-0 record with two knockouts.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Primetyme199

Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. sets exhibition bout against YouTuber Logan Paul

Post by Primetyme199 »

Mayweather will enjoy some of the largest betting odds on his side in combat sports history.

Floyd Mayweather: -5000

Logan Paul: +1500

Additional odds released on Sunday include prop bets such as first fighter to bleed and whether or not the fight will go the distances. See those odds below:

First fighter to bleed

Floyd Mayweather +550 (11-2)

Logan Paul -1000 (1-10)

Will Logan Paul be knocked down?

Yes -150 (2-3)

No +120 (6-5)

Will the fight go the distance? (Match must be scheduled for at least 8 rounds.)

Yes -200 (1-2)

No +150 (3-2)

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Primetyme199

WBC Prez Smiles: I Will 100% Support Mayweather vs. Paul

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.boxingscene.com/wbc-prez-sm ... ul--153882

World Boxing Council President Mauricio Sulaiman has no problem with the recently announced exhibition clash between former five division world champion Floyd Mayweather and Youtube star Logan Paul.

Mayweather, 43-years-old, retired back in August of 2017, with his unbeaten 50-0 record, after stopping UFC superstar Conor McGregor in the tenth round at Las Vegas' T-Mobile Arena.

Paul, 25-years-old, is extremely popular on social media, but he's severely lacking boxing experience in comparison to Mayweather, who many regarded as the best boxer of this generation.

Their contest, financially backed by Fanmio Boxing, is taking place on February 20th on pay-per-view.

Mayweather unretired in December 2018, when he traveled to Japan and demolished kickboxing star Tenshin Nasukawa in the first round of an exhibition.

Paul, who outweighs Mayweather by at least 50-pounds, made his professional boxing debut in the fall of 2019, when he lost a six round split decision to Youtube rival KSI.

Since the announcement of the February fight, widespread criticism has erupted in the sport.

But, Sulaiman views the contest as a positive for boxing.

“This is going to be something good for boxing. This is going to bring millions of eyes to our sport. I appreciate Logan and Jake [Paul], they have worked hard. I will support Floyd vs Logan 100 percent,” Sulaiman told The Sun.

Sulaiman's position is not surprising, with his organization backing last month's pay-per-view exhibition between retired former champion Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr.

Mayweather reportedly made $9 million for the contest with Nasukawa. He expects to make a lot more for the bout with Paul.

“This is going to be a great night for the fans worldwide as we are bringing something special to them through sports and entertainment. I have never shied away from doing things differently throughout my career and fighting Logan Paul in this special exhibition is just another opportunity for me to do it again," Mayweather said.

Danielk015

Re: WBC Prez Smiles: I Will 100% Support Mayweather vs. Paul

Post by Danielk015 »

Are they going to create some fake belt and ask for sanctioning fees? LOLLLL
Primetyme199

Ex-NFL star Chad ‘Ochocinco’ Johnson to make boxing debut on Mayweather-Paul undercard

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/5/3/22 ... rcard-news

The American entertainment industry is all about reviving stuff that was popular 20-30 years ago, so why not add celebrity boxing to the mix?

According to ESPN, Chad Johnson, formerly known as Chad Ochocinco before switching back to Chad Johnson, is scheduled to make his professional boxing debut on June 6th on the undercard of Floyd Mayweather vs. Logan Paul. His opponent is likely to be another celebrity and/or athlete in a four- or six-rounder.

Johnson is best known for his days as a wide receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals, making six Pro Bowls and getting First-Team All-Pro honors on three occasions. His outsized personality and creative touchdown celebrations made him one of the more prominent names in the NFL, and for a few years he legally changed his name to Chad Ochocinco because his uniform number was #85. We’ll ignore that the Spanish is grammatically incorrect and acknowledge this is a thing he did.

The 43-year-old famously called out Andre Berto way back in 2009, which was ridiculous for several reasons, namely Berto being an actual high-level boxer at the time and Johnson... not being one, plus Chad is way out of Andre’s weight class. Nevertheless the interest Chad has had in getting into the boxing ring has been there for more than a minute. Perhaps he’s looking to recoup the money he lost when he bet on Jorge Masvidal to beat Kamaru Usman at UFC 261.

The Mayweather vs. Paul pay-per-view will be shown on both Showtime and Fanmio PPV. Actual relevant boxing matches include former unified junior middleweight champion Jarrett Hurd taking on Luis Arias at middleweight, while Badou Jack and Jean Pascal have a rematch of their entertaining light heavyweight encounter from 2019, which ended in a split decision win for Pascal. This event will be in Johnson’s hometown of Miami, Florida and take place a day after Teofimo Lopez vs. George Kambosos Jr on Triller PPV.

the13r
TTR

Re: MAYWEATHER vs PAUL

Post by the13r »

TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

the13r wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:51 pm
Can't help but wonder how legit this is. Remember, this card was supposed to happen in February and got canceled because of lack of interest. Suddenly this altercation happens with the Paul he isn't fighting, who also happens to have this following now and what not. I mean, watching UFC 261 and the whole crowd chanting Fuck Jake Paul. He's clearly becoming a household name. So I question the legitimacy of this.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

Floyd must be losing crazy money or maybe this is all still part of the plan. He can continue to give the public these charades for the next 10 years and probably pull in $100 million for each one.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

Look for floyd to steamroll logan paul and for his bro jake to step up to try to get revenge... there will be 2 of these fights lol
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

5_burowz wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:44 am Floyd must be losing crazy money or maybe this is all still part of the plan. He can continue to give the public these charades for the next 10 years and probably pull in $100 million for each one.
Its easy money for him. Prob has nothing to do with needing it. Make it while you can
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

TopNotch86 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:09 pm
5_burowz wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:44 am Floyd must be losing crazy money or maybe this is all still part of the plan. He can continue to give the public these charades for the next 10 years and probably pull in $100 million for each one.
Its easy money for him. Prob has nothing to do with needing it. Make it while you can
Is it though? I mean, this fight was supposed to happen in February and got pushed back because of a lack of interest. I mean what has people talking about this thing is his altercation with the brother.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Jake Paul vs Nate Robinson did HUGE numbers. Do you honestly think Floyd vs one of these idiots won't?

We all know it's a mega farce, but millions of soft-heads will pay to see it. And this is easy money for Floyd: One of the best boxers over the last 25 years, vs some internet clown who has taken up boxing. It would be like one of us challenging a relatively recently retired Kobe, to a game of one on one.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:40 pm Jake Paul vs Nate Robinson did HUGE numbers. Do you honestly think Floyd vs one of these idiots won't?

We all know it's a mega farce, but millions of soft-heads will pay to see it. And this is easy money for Floyd: One of the best boxers over the last 25 years, vs some internet clown who has taken up boxing. It would be like one of us challenging a relatively recently retired Kobe, to a game of one on one.
That fight didn't do huge numbers considering that was the Tyson vs. Jones card. It's easy money in terms of Floyd whooping his ass, but in terms of people watching it, I question it. If they were so certain millions would order it, the fight would have happened in February when it was originally scheduled.
Hillsinitialrebirth

The Paul brothers, love them or hate them, have a HUGE social media following. Their legions of idiots will support whatever they do. We may not like it...but this is the world we live in.

And for a guy like Floyd, they check the required boxes. 1. They're popular(which means money). 2. It's a cakewalk in the ring.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:41 pm The Paul brothers, love them or hate them, have a HUGE social media following. Their legions of idiots will support whatever they do. We may not like it...but this is the world we live in.

And for a guy like Floyd, they check the required boxes. 1. They're popular(which means money). 2. It's a cakewalk in the ring.
But even with that huge following, the fight got canceled from its original date in February because there was no interest in it. The only reason this is being talked about is because of Jake, and it only got rescheduled now after all the shit with Jake Paul and him going after MMA fighters.
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

TheSickness316 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:37 pm
Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:41 pm The Paul brothers, love them or hate them, have a HUGE social media following. Their legions of idiots will support whatever they do. We may not like it...but this is the world we live in.

But even with that huge following, the fight got canceled from its original date in February because there was no interest in it. The only reason this is being talked about is because of Jake, and it only got rescheduled now after all the shit with Jake Paul and him going after MMA fighters.
I think they wanted a bigger live gate, so waited for covid restrictions to become even more lax..,

It’s stupid, but it’s gonna sell and it’s free money. Yeah Floyd is gonna cruise, but I think the kid is like 200+ pounds and Floyd is bordering on geriatric when it comes to boxing age... there ain’t gonna be shit entertaining about the fight... Floyd won’t even get a KO
Last edited by ObJuan13 on Mon May 10, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hillsinitialrebirth

I really don't care either way. I barely care about real boxing fights anymore, I really don't give a shit about this farce. I feel dirty talking about it in the first place....
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

ObJuan13 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:46 pm
TheSickness316 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:37 pm

I think they wanted a bigger live gate, so waited for covid restrictions to become even more lax..,

It’s stupid, but it’s gonna sell and it’s free money. Yeah Floyd is gonna cruise, but I think the kid is like 200+ pounds and Floyd is bordering on geriatric when it comes to boxing age... they’re ain’t gonna be shit entertaining about the fight... Floyd won’t even get a KO
But there is no mention of it for that being the reason. I mean, when Tyson vs. Jones was pushed back, they said it was because they wanted to promote it more because of how good it was doing. But with this exhibition, they just said it's postponed indefinitely with no reason why, and only announced the rescheduled date after Jake Paul was being talked about for all of his nonsense. Then you have the whole altercation. Hell, I don't even know if they mentioned where the fight was going to be when they said it was happening in February.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”