Robles Admits They Lost Control of Andy Ruiz After Big Win, Blames 'New Friends'

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Robles Admits They Lost Control of Andy Ruiz After Big Win, Blames 'New Friends'

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.boxingscene.com/robles-admi ... ds--153499

Veteran trainer Manny Robles admits heavyweight contender Andy Ruiz was out of control in the months leading up to last December's rematch with Anthony Joshua in Saudi Arabia.

Six months earlier, Ruiz had shocked the world when he dropped Joshua four times for a seventh round stoppage to capture the WBO, WBA, IBF, IBO heavyweight titles.

In the rematch, Ruiz was out of shape, sluggish and couldn't get his punches off. Joshua easily won a twelve round unanimous decision to reclaim the belts.

After the fight, Ruiz admitted to his lack of proper training.

He partied for two months straight, started training too late and was unable to get in proper form.

Come January, Ruiz parted ways with Robles - and months later retained Eddy Reynoso, who is best known as the trainer for Mexican superstar Saul "Canelo" Alvarez.

"Unfortunately the dad had a lot to do with the situation ending. We lost control of Andy, so the dad decided to blame this on me. He said I’m not doing my job, but I am not his dad. You're his dad, you control him. If you can’t control your own son, how do you expect me to control the guy?, Robles told Marc Gatford via the MyBettingSites.co.uk blog.

"Andy admitted after the fight he f--ked up. He said he didn’t train properly and takes the blame’ - as he should. After that I don’t know what happened, he’s acting like he won the damn fight.

"I did the best I could under the circumstances, I showed up everyday. I decided to take the camp to Mexico to get him away from his new friends. I never saw these guys before he won the title, I never saw them, never knew who they were.

"I had to put up with a lot, I had to endure a lot, it wasn’t fun. I did the best I could to get him to focus on the fight and keep him disciplined but unfortunately his mind was somewhere else. It didn’t make me feel good at all. You are world champion, man, you’re not a kid anymore. He was world champion: WBA, WBO, IBF, what more could you want? There’s your motivation right there.

"If I win the world title today I want to be back in the gym tomorrow. That’s how most fighters think, they don’t want to lose their bouts, they don’t want to lose their belts. They want to get back in the gym and go to work. He says he wasn't motivated - you’re already a world champion, you’re rich, you’ve got money in the bank now. What motivation do you want now? You’re not homeless anymore. You buy yourself a mansion and you’re telling me you’re not motivated? You’re kidding me?"

Ruiz has yet to enter the ring since the December loss and is likely not fighting again until 2021.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
jeff_lacy_ko

Re: Robles Admits They Lost Control of Andy Ruiz After Big Win, Blames 'New Friends'

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Lose control...

Hes an adult. He made his choices
ObJuan13

Re: Robles Admits They Lost Control of Andy Ruiz After Big Win, Blames 'New Friends'

Post by ObJuan13 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:51 am Lose control...

Hes an adult. He made his choices
Came in to say just this...

That’s all on Andy

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”