Crawford: Fights With Top Welterweights Will Happen When Media, Public Demand It

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Crawford: Fights With Top Welterweights Will Happen When Media, Public Demand It

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.boxingscene.com/crawford-fi ... it--153302

LAS VEGAS – Terence Crawford feels he has made it perfectly clear that he wants to fight Manny Pacquiao, Errol Spence Jr., Danny Garcia and Keith Thurman, in that order.

The unbeaten WBO 147-pound champion doesn’t think any of those fights will happen, however, until the media and the paying public literally accept nothing less. That’s why Crawford wasn’t interested after his fourth-round stoppage of Kell Brook on Saturday night in rehashing his wish list.

“Listen, listen, I already said I’m number one,” Crawford told a small group of reporters. “I don’t really have to call out all these fighters. You know, y’all demand it. The media, the public, the people – when y’all demand things, it happens.”

When asked if the media and public have more influence than him in making those fights, Crawford replied, “Yeah, because y’all the ones that make it.

“Once you keep, you know, demanding the fight and you don’t take nothing else but that fight that y’all demanding for, then it will happen. You know? When y’all write, ‘No, we don’t wanna see this fight. We don’t wanna see this fight. We wanna see this fight,’ you know, people are gonna start taking notice and be like, ‘Hey, why they ain’t fighting this guy? Why they ain’t fighting each other?’ And that’s how you make it happen.”

The consensus among the media and, most important, the fans invested in the sport is that they want to watch Crawford fight Spence as soon as possible. If Spence (26-0, 21 KOs) defeats Danny Garcia (36-2, 21 KOs) on December 5 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, the IBF/WBC welterweight champion and Crawford basically are on the same schedule and could finally fight within the first half of 2021.

The 30-year-old Spence has more options, of course, among fellow welterweights affiliated with Al Haymon’s Premier Boxing Champions than Crawford. Both Spence and Crawford want to fight Filipino legend Manny Pacquiao, who, at 41, still is considered an elite welterweight.

Spence also could fight Thurman, his longtime rival, or partake in a rematch with Shawn Porter if he beats Garcia in a FOX Sports Pay-Per-View main event next month. There aren’t any welterweights promoted by Bob Arum’s Top Rank Inc. who would be considered promotable opponents for Crawford’s next fight.

The 33-year-old Crawford (37-0, 28 KOs), of Omaha, Nebraska, expressed interest in temporarily moving up to the 154-pound division to challenge WBO junior middleweight champ Patrick Teixeira before he settled for boxing Brook (39-3, 27 KOs) in a main event ESPN aired from MGM Grand Conference Center.

Brazil’s Teixeira (31-1, 22 KOs) is committed to making a mandated defense of his title against Argentina’s Brian Castano (16-0-1, 12 KOs) in his next fight, though. Teixeira is represented by Golden Boy Promotions, but Castano – like Spence, Thurman, Garcia and Porter – is a PBC boxer and thus unlikely to face Crawford if he were to defeat Teixeira.

The winner of the 140-pound title unification bout between Jose Ramirez (26-0, 17 KOs) and Josh Taylor (17-0, 13 KOs) is a potential opponent for Crawford as well. The Ramirez-Taylor fight hasn’t even been scheduled, though, which means that bout couldn’t be next for Crawford.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Papa1472002

Re: Crawford: Fights With Top Welterweights Will Happen When Media, Public Demand It

Post by Papa1472002 »

Crawford is right!
As of 2020, there's been absolutely no demand from anyone for him to fight the top names at 147.
I haven't seen any fans demand that Crawford fight Spence.
When people start clamoring for it, then maybe it happens.
But as of now, I haven't seen or heard any demands from the fans or boxing media for a Spence Crawford fight.
ObJuan13

Re: Crawford: Fights With Top Welterweights Will Happen When Media, Public Demand It

Post by ObJuan13 »

Papa1472002 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:26 pm Crawford is right!
As of 2020, there's been absolutely no demand from anyone for him to fight the top names at 147.
But as of now, I haven't seen or heard any demands from the fans or boxing media for a Spence Crawford fight.
That’s covid related.. the world and the boxing world still feels weird. There was definitely clamoring before covid. Both guys are chasing a check and I can’t blame em, but it’s clear (they’ve both said it) that a Pac fight is both of their main priorities...

Neither guy is serious about it right now if we’re being honest.

I don’t think either guy is scared of the other, but they know it’s a tough fight that can derail their earning potential if they lose, so it’s just another one of those scenarios where business and legacy aren’t synchronized. Same old story with boxing
Last edited by ObJuan13 on Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Many boxing fans, and sports media people alike, have been demanding Crawford-Spence, for at least 3 years now. Since Spence beat Brook, and TC beat Horn.

But I don't like any fighter throwing the onus on the media. The FIGHTERS have to want it, and take the initiative.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Media and fans pushed for kovalev v Stevenson and nothing happened

All that matters is the 2 fighters. If they wanted it the fight would happen.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Media and fans call for many fights and it has shown that if they do happen, they tend not to happen when the media and fans call for it.
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

WTF is Crawford talking about? Talking about of his ass. We demand you demand it, but look at your resume Terry!

I really hope Manny comes out and says, I will fight the winner of Crawford Spence. Maybe that will get them to fight. Manny is the prize, so these two should risk their zero to get at Manny. To be fair to Spence, he fought Brook first (although Brook was still broken in that fight), fought Porter, scheduled to fight Garcia. They both put down midgets in Garcia and Gamboa. But it is pretty clear, at 147, Spence is #1, Crawford #2 right now.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

"if you sign it they will come"
lakerlegacy1

Post by lakerlegacy1 »

No sympathy for Crawford. He is 33 and wasting his prime. He could of signed with the pbc but chose to re-up with Arum.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

For all of the people defending TC for being with TR, and defending Scumbag Bob....check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUUSEDI7JE0
Papa1472002

Post by Papa1472002 »

ObJuan13 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:41 pm
That’s covid related.. the world and the boxing world still feels weird. There was definitely clamoring before covid. Both guys are chasing a check and I can’t blame em, but it’s clear (they’ve both said it) that a Pac fight is both of their main priorities...

I don’t think either guy is scared of the other, but they know it’s a tough fight that can derail their earning potential if they lose, so it’s just another one of those scenarios where business and legacy aren’t synchronized. Same old story with boxing
I was being sarcastic. :wink:
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Papa1472002 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:48 am
ObJuan13 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:41 pm

I was being sarcastic. :wink:
Ah, I’m kinda slow lol
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Even if everyone demands it, I won't fight unless I get more money then them.

https://www.boxingscene.com/crawford-on ... en--153394

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:48 am Even if everyone demands it, I won't fight unless I get more money then them.

Spence is the bigger draw. He should get more of the money.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:48 am Even if everyone demands it, I won't fight unless I get more money then them.

Crawford was reacting and repeating the same shit Spence said a day or so prior. https://www.boxingnews24.com/2020/11/er ... ord-fight/

But, ya, let's go ahead and play the propaganda game and tear that man down. The Crawford/Spence scenario is a hilariously odd one in that it has old school Manny fans(Daniel) cheering on the same fucking tactics Floyd used against Manolo(have to sign with Al to take the fight, have to take the small slice of the pie) And I know, I know, Crawford isn't Manny. Well, Spence ain't fucking Floyd. Then we have my man Hills on the other side sticking true to script and riding against Scumbag Bob's fighter, which I actually enjoy seeing in a nostalgic sense.

So, it looks like TC or "Terry" as Daniel would call him is fucked in regard to public opinion, if this little board is an indicator of the way folks see things. 3 weight class champion who has unified in every division he was given an opportunity for, but ya, he didn't sign with Haymon, so go get him fellas. You learn Terry right.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:14 pm

Crawford was reacting and repeating the same shit Spence said a day or so prior. https://www.boxingnews24.com/2020/11/er ... ord-fight/

But, ya, let's go ahead and play the propaganda game and tear that man down. The Crawford/Spence scenario is a hilariously odd one in that it has old school Manny fans(Daniel) cheering on the same fucking tactics Floyd used against Manolo(have to sign with Al to take the fight, have to take the small slice of the pie) And I know, I know, Crawford isn't Manny. Well, Spence ain't fucking Floyd. Then we have my man Hills on the other side sticking true to script and riding against Scumbag Bob's fighter, which I actually enjoy seeing in a nostalgic sense.

So, it looks like TC or "Terry" as Daniel would call him is fucked in regard to public opinion, if this little board is an indicator of the way folks see things. 3 weight class champion who has unified in every division he was given an opportunity for, but ya, he didn't sign with Haymon, so go get him fellas. You learn Terry right.
It's bullshit that not signing with this person means going through something like this.
NoPropaganda 253

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:10 pm For all of the people defending TC for being with TR, and defending Scumbag Bob....check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUUSEDI7JE0
Well, that's why we call him Scumbag Bob, isn't it. You're point about Arum not getting Crawford the Manny fight is the one solid factor I could go with in signing with Al at that time while not forgetting that he was secured a unification fight at 135 and 2 at 140 lbs and resigned after getting the Horn fight and victory after Manny passed on the rematch due to his Senate job. At that point, Crawford shouldn't have believed the Manny fight was a lost cause. Timeline doesn't fit your angle to a T, but I still see it. And no one is defending Scumbag Bob, bud. Nice try, though. In this instance and in hindsight, ya, Arum failed as a promoter and in landing Bud a unification across the street at 147 lbs. That said, and to my credit, I've seen TR do more crossover promotions unification scraps than any of the majors.
“It pissed me off because I'm one of the most loyal people. For him to say some foolish sh-- like that, it made me look at him a totally different way,” said Crawford. “Release me now and you don't have to lose money no more … That's not my job [on promoting], I'm not a promoter. What am I? A fighter. I get paid to fight, I don't get paid to promote. He gets paid to promote. He's supposed to promote me."
-Terrence "Bud" Crawford, 3 weight division champion aka "Terry" to some on Scumbag Bob's fuckery.
NoPropaganda 253

TheSickness316 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:38 pm

It's bullshit that not signing with this person means going through something like this.
That's boxing, man. Been entertaining and frustrating simultaneously since Jack Johnson reigned supreme.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

I’m not tearing anyone down. I just found it hilarious that he said the fight would be made if it was demanded then a day or two later said he wouldn’t fight if he wasn’t getting the bigger amount of money. I didn’t see Spence say anything or I would have included that too.

These fighters can make any fight they want, they just have to tell their promoters to do it. They are the bosses not the promoters, to blame anyone but themselves for fights not being made is ridiculous.

gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

Crawford is the one asking for a Pacquiao fight....
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

Crawford has nobody but himself to blame for his predicament.

He chose to sign with Top Rank because they gave him a high guarantee. He makes something like $2.5 - $3 million no matter who he fights. Problem is he chose to sign with a promotion (Top Rank) that had a grand total of ZERO known, ranked, name welterweights.

I have a feeling that if he went to PBC a couple of years ago he would have been made to fight and beat Garcia, Thurman and Porter before getting a crack at Pac or Spence.

Maybe he figured he should stay with Top Rank for the easy money and easy opponents while avoiding fights with those guys while building his name and resume up to a $10+ million fight against Pac or Spence. Problem is PBC doesn't work that way. They will only put their guy in against an outsider if it suits their purpose or if they are forced into it.

Spence isn't being forced into a Crawford fight. He can fight Pac who's a an in-house match up.

Crawford took the easy, guaranteed money and is now complaining about having nobody to fight.

Can't have it both ways. He should have jumped to PBC a couple of years ago.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”